Book of Condolence Thread

Mick Karn died today.

P.

from Peter Murphy's Facebook page, in a note titled “Just for Love” confirmed they worked together last fall. Murphy wrote:
“It’s with great sadness and affection and that I hear the news of Mick Karn’s passing today. My Love goes out to Kyoko his wife, his son Metis and Mick’s unfailing assistant and close friend Debi Zornes who I had the pleasure to meet during the brief spell that Mick and I got to work together this past autumn. Mick’s wry sense of humour, keen creativity and graciousness were there even in the times of most physical distress. May he rest in the lap of Compassion.
“Till we meet again.”

from Peter Murphy's Facebook page, in a note titled “Just for Love” confirmed they worked together last fall. Murphy wrote:
“It’s with great sadness and affection and that I hear the news of Mick Karn’s passing today. My Love goes out to Kyoko his wife, his son Metis and Mick’s unfailing assistant and close friend Debi Zornes who I had the pleasure to meet during the brief spell that Mick and I got to work together this past autumn. Mick’s wry sense of humour, keen creativity and graciousness were there even in the times of most physical distress. May he rest in the lap of Compassion.
“Till we meet again.”

What a beautiful sentiment.

Peter Yates (1929 - 2011)

A veteran British film director died long illness.

He was assistant director of A Taste of Honey, my favourite Yates film is Breaking Away.

RIP.

Peter Yates (1929 - 2011)

A veteran British film director died long illness.

He was assistant director of A Taste of Honey, my favourite Yates film is Breaking Away.

RIP.

Criminally underrated director. When he had the right material he was superb. 'Robbery', with the great Stanley Baker, one of the best heist movies of all time. McQueen saw it and hired him for 'Bullitt', which is probably my favourite of his films. Saw it again fairly recently and it's an incredibly modern film that still holds up today, unlike alot of other 1968 fare. It's often dismissed as just a cool cops and cars movie, but in terms of the writing, acting and directing it equals any crime film in the last 40 years.
Same goes for 'The Friends Of Eddie Coyle', Robert Mitchum's last great gig, and a film at the top of the pile of the new American cinema of the 1970s.
'Breaking Away' is excellent too - he brought out the class conflict of that story in a way that I don't think an American director could have managed.
Probably my favourite 'guilty pleasure' movie of his is 'The Hot Rock', a classic 70s caper heist flick with Redford and Segal at the peak of their powers, and sterling support from Ron Leibman and Zero Mostel. If I could choose to be anyone in any film from any era it would be Robert Redford as he's walking away from the bank at the end of that film :cool:

Rest in Peace.

Susannah York (1939 - 2011)

Very sad to hear that another versatile British actress' passing.

One of my friends was fortunate to work with her in a short film Maude in 2007.

RIP.

Nat Lofthouse - Bolton and England striker

He famously scored the winning goal for England against Austria in 1952 earning the nickname Lion of Vienna before being unceremoniously carried off injured.

A one club player all his life - born in Bolton, always played for Bolton, stayed in Bolton and died in Bolton.

A true legend. RIP.

Dave

broadcast singer trish keenan died on the 14th january at the age of 42.
statement at warp
It is with great sadness we announce that Trish Keenan from Broadcast passed away at 9am this morning in hospital. She died from complications with pneumonia after battling the illness for two weeks in intensive care.

Our thoughts go out to James, Martin, her friends and her family and we request that the public respect their wishes for privacy at this time.

This is an untimely tragic loss and we will miss Trish dearly - a unique voice, an extraordinary talent and a beautiful human being. Rest in Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maria Schneider (1952 - 2011)

French actress who became famous starring Last Tango in Paris, lost battle against cancer.

RIP.

BBC
16 March 2011 Last updated at 11:22 GMT
US singer and rapper Nate Dogg has died at the age of 41, according to reports.

His friend and collaborator Snoop Dogg paid tribute on Twitter, while the Press-Telegram newspaper in his home town of Long Beach, California, cited an announcement from his family.

Nate Dogg, real name Nathaniel Hale, went to school with Snoop and sang on Warren G's hit Regulate. He also worked with Eminem, Dr Dre and Mark Ronson.

Other collaborators Ludacris and The Game also Tweeted messages in tribute.

On Twitter, Snoop described Nate Dogg as a "true legend of hip-hop and R&B", adding that he was "one of my best friends and a brother to me since 1986 when I was a sophomore at Poly High where we met".

Snoop, Nate and Warren G started their careers in a rap trio in Long Beach called 213 in the early 1990s.

On Sunday, Warren G Tweeted: "For those that don't know, a while back Nate had two strokes. He is in therapy. Thanks again for your support."

Knut the polar bear has died - he was only 4 years old.

I don't know if he was famous outside Germany/the UK?

Very sad.

Knut the polar bear has died - he was only 4 years old.

I don't know if he was famous outside Germany/the UK?

Very sad.

There's bound to be a day of national sorrow, maybe even two, in Germany now as a consequence of Knut's passing away.

That's the same photo of Elizabeth Taylor that I just posted to my fb
I was so upset hearing the news of her passing this morning, I was crying. I truly admired her and she was so beautiful and a lovely person.

elizabeth-taylor_63727b253c1c9cb694e1f62eb249d3ae.jpg

LizPlaceinthesunKiss.jpg

Beautiful.
r.i.p

Back
Top Bottom