Book of Condolence Thread

Corrie actress Maggie Jones dies
'Coronation Street' actress Maggie Jones, who played sharp-tongued Blanche Hunt, has died at the age of 75.

The much-loved star, who first appeared in the show 35 years ago, died this morning in hospital.

Jones was forced to pull out of filming on the ITV soap in October after being admitted to hospital for major surgery.

She won several comedy awards for playing Blanche, although she only became a regular cast member in 1999 after numerous occasional appearances.
article-1219981-000B87A200000258-737_468x373.jpg

"...Another irreplaceable strip of Britishness falls away..."

Read them and weep ~ The Genius of Blanche

Rest In Peace.

Actor Richard Todd dies aged 90

Distinguished actor Richard Todd, best known for his role in the classic war film 'The Dam Busters', has died at the age of 90.

His spokeswoman said that Todd, who had been suffering from cancer, died last night.

She said in a statement: "He had been suffering from cancer, an illness that he bore with his habitual courage and dignity. His family were with him throughout."

He was one of the first British officers to land in Normandy on the day of the Allied invasion and was involved in the daring operation which he would later help portray on screen.

During the war, he served as an officer in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry as well as serving as a paratrooper in the British 6th Airborne Division.

On D-Day he met Major John Howard, who led the airborne assault on Pegasus Bridge, which signalled the start of the operation.

In 'The Longest Day', Todd played Major Howard with, ironically, another actor playing Todd.

He had an astonishing range as an actor and, in his prime, was one of the biggest box-office draws of the British cinema.

Todd, who made his first film in 1948, achieved nationwide fame for his role in the film classic 'The Hasty Heart', which is still regarded as being among his own greatest personal successes.

Richard Andrew Palethorpe Todd was born in Dublin on June 11 1919, the son of a British officer. He grew up in Devon and attended Shrewsbury public school.

His interest in the theatre led him to small roles in stage productions in England and Scotland. In 1939, he was a co-founder of the Dundee Repertory Theatre.

After the war, he gained fame in the London stage version of 'The Hasty Heart', which took him to Broadway. He returned to England to appear in the film version, and was nominated for the best actor Oscar in 1949.

Later he was to appear in the film The Dam Busters as Wing Commander Guy Gibson, the role for which he is perhaps best known, a depiction of the daring British raid against the Ruhr dams.

He was probably best known in America for his role as the United States Senate chaplain Peter Marshall in 'A Man Called Peter'.

Todd was the first choice of author Ian Fleming to play James Bond, but because of other commitments he had to turn it down. The role went to Sean Connery.

In 1953, he appeared as Heathcliff in the BBC TV adaptation of 'Wuthering Heights'. Other TV successes included in 'Virtual Murder', 'Silent Witness' and 'Dr Who' .

He also had a major role in 'Yangtse Incident/Battle Hell', the true story of a British ship stranded in the Red Chinese Yangtse River in 1949.

Todd appeared in scores of other films including Alfred Hitchcock's 'Stage Fright', as Sir Walter Raleigh in 'The Virgin Queen', opposite Bette Davis, as Robin Hood in 'Robin Hood And His Merrie Men', and in 'Breakout/Danger Within', a tale of the escape of British prisoners-of-war from an Italian prison camp near the end of the Second World War.

He was still acting well into his 80s, including appearing as himself in 1994 in 'D-Day Remembered, A Musical Tribute From The QEII'.

Todd's autobiography 'Caught In The Act' was written in 1986. He was named a Disney Legend in 2002.

He was twice married, first to Catherine Grant Bogle (1949-1970) and then to Virginia Mailer (1970-1992).

Both marriages, which each produced two children, ended in divorce.

Two of his sons, one from each marriage, subsequently committed suicide.

I just heard on the radio Brittney Murphy died of cardiac arrest this morning. :eek::tears:

Very shocking and sad. She was one of my favorite actresses. :tears:

I fell in love with her when I saw 8 Mile, but her voice is heard in my house almost daily because of King of the Hill. She was only 32! Shit.

I fell in love with her when I saw 8 Mile, but her voice is heard in my house almost daily because of King of the Hill. She was only 32! Shit.

I didn't like 8 Mile, but she was great in Girl, Interrupted. Watching King of the Hill won't be the same now. :(

How very sad that she was only 32. :(

I just heard on the radio Brittney Murphy died of cardiac arrest this morning. :eek::tears:

I just heard this too, so shocking! She was great in Clueless and Sin City :eek::(.

I didn't like 8 Mile, but she was great in Girl, Interrupted. Watching King of the Hill won't be the same now. :(

How very sad that she was only 32. :(

Oh that's right, she was the room mate, the impressionable one who lived in her own fantasy world. I must've seen this one first then.

Yeah, and she committed suicide towards the end of the film.

Oh you're right. I was confusing her with another character. She's the one who Angelina's character tormented. SHe hid chicken bones under her bed or something but pretended everything was okay. THat was a huge role.

Farewell, TC. :tears:

Arnold Stang, voice of Top Cat, dies aged 91

Arnold Stang, the actor who was the voice of Top Cat in the 1960s cartoon, has died aged 91.

The character actor died of pneumonia at a Massachusetts hospital on Sunday, his wife of 60 years, JoAnne, said.

Known for his distinctive nasal voice and nerdy looks, Stang also starred alongside Frank Sinatra in the 1955 film The Man With The Golden Arm, and appeared in the 1963 comedy It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

But he is best known for Hanna-Barbera's cartoon Top Cat, 30 episodes of which were made between 1961 and 1962.

The central character, Top Cat - called T.C. by close friends - is the leader of a gang of New York alley cats, Fancy-Fancy, Spook, Benny The Ball, The Brain and Choo Choo.

A frequent plot-line revolved around the local police officer Charles 'Charlie' Dibble, and his ineffective attempts to evict the gang from the alley.

The only reason that he wanted to be rid of them was that Top Cat and his gang were constantly attempting to earn a quick dollar - usually through an illegal scam.

The name Dibble has passed into slang for police officers.
Arnold Stang

Live radio performance: Stang takes to the airwaves in 1945

Top Cat was loosely based on The Phil Silvers Show, with T.C. being recognisably Sgt Bilko, and Officer Dibble replacing the long-suffering Colonel Hall.

Stang's widow today attributed her husband's career longevity to his willingness to tackle any professional challenge.

'He was really unique, because he could perform in any role, comedy or drama, he just loved it all,' Mrs Stang said.

'He always thought of himself just as an actor, not any particular kind of actor, but just an actor who would play whatever he was asked to play.'

Despite often playing goofy characters, Stang was the consummate professional, preparing the same for his biggest roles and the smallest commercials.

'I remember how smart he was, and how hard-working, and how disciplined he was, no matter what the role,' his wife said.

A native New Yorker, the slight and diminutive Stang started his career on the radio as a teenager and never lost his love of the medium.

Mrs Stang remembers her husband zipping across Manhattan in the 1940s and 1950s, from radio show to radio show, all live and challenging in their own way because all the acting is done through voice, with no facial expressions or body language.

'That was his education,' she said.

He played alongside comedian Milton Berle on radio and television in the 1950s, before moving on to a prestigious role opposite Frank Sinatra in The Man With The Golden Arm, and becoming a member of the ensemble comedic cast of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

The dramatic role alongside Sinatra was one of his favourites, his wife said.

As well as voicing cartoons, he did dozens of commercials, perhaps most notably for the Chunky candy bar.

He appeared in a film alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hercules In New York, and also featured on TV in The Cosby Show and the 1960s Batman series.

Stang continued acting into his 80s, playing a role in the 1993 movie Dennis The Menace.

He is also survived by son David and daughter Deborah.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bh8T3kvXOZI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bh8T3kvXOZI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom