tell us about the last Film you saw

Nymphomaniac. I got bored and fast forwarded to the sex. Then I got bored and turned it off. An arthouse blowjob is still a blowjob.

On a completely unrelated matter my girlfriend is away until the 1st of August. :squiffy:

Oculus.

Demon hides in antique mirror, with hilarious results. Nah, not really. I was surprised by this, particularly having seen some poor reviews. It was pretty good, actually. Karen Gillan continues her journey towards one day being able to act herself out of a paper bag, but apart from that, and considering all the usual component parts of a modern off the shelf horror are present and correct, it is one of the best of its kind I've seen in a while.

7/10

We're The Millers.

Ageing dope dealer is coerced into smuggling four tons of pot over the border from Mexico. He constructs himself the perfect family to confound the DEA and the border guards.

A decent comedy greatly enlivened by a couple of Jennifer Aniston lap dancing sequences.

7/10

stoker_ver6.jpg

weird, weird, weird movie, but I enjoyed it completely, so I give it an A :thumb:
but its not for everyone :straightface:

I finally watched 'The Panic in Needle Park.' I love Al Pacino, I love '70s American cinema, and I love NYC, but somehow I never got around to watching this one before. It was much, much bleaker and darker than I expected it to be. Gritty to the extreme, a really brutal and unglamorous look at heroin addiction. Pacino is Pacino, of course, but Kitty Winn was also great in it. Lots of great shots of NYC in the '70s, too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067549/
(If you're in the US, it's on Netflix now.)

affiche-Panique-a-Needle-Park-The-Panic-in-Needle-Park-1971-3.jpg

I finally got to see Philomena. I'm not a Judi Dench fan but she was immaculate in that film. Steve Coogan was very understated as well. Great film.

Noah

Build something big that floats. Save animals and some people despite having second thoughts. Bugger all and become a wino on the beach. This film may have served well as promotion for Moz's latest album. It finally made me understand the mind of cult leaders and what they are on about with the only difference being for them nothing major ever appears out of the blue.

http://www.swefilmer.com/noah-2014/noah-2014-video_c411ad063.html

Brave_(2012).jpg

background:
I splice together my own clips from Disney movies with Chinese subtitles* and have various classes tell me what they see in them
or write sentences about them in various tenses, its a nice 10 to 15 minute break from the hum drum of class and the kids are sometimes quite creative or accurate or both :)
anyways, lot of good fodder from "Brave" to do this with, however, having now watched the film a few more times, I lower its grade to:
B :straightface:

Over the last couple of weeks I've seen

Transcendence, crap, 4/10
Oculus, crap, 3/10
Last Night, alright, 6/10
Rio 2, my kids thought it was great, me less so but as it's a kids film, 8/10.
Submarine, 7/10

mauvais-sang-bad-blood-the-night-is-young.9339.jpg

For those who are unfamiliar with Leos Carax, Articial Eye in the UK released Mauvais Sang on Blu-ray. The print is gorgeous.

As for the film, its his love letter to Godard. Near genius work for a film maker of his age and the Modern Love sequence is nothing short of iconic!

splash_dvd_image_325.jpg

Good ol' Freda

A fascinating documentary that chronicles the amazing story of Freda Kelly, who was secretary for The Beatles throughout their existence. From the very early Cavern Club days, right through to world domination, this shy Liverpool girl saw everything, and for the first time gives her side of the story. Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2505938/?ref_=nv_sr_1

the-best-years-of-our-lives.jpg

Got around to it again after it was on my TIVO for a couple weeks. One of the 10 best AMERICAN films ever!

Also came back to this for a second viewing:

leviathan.jpg

For all the praise its gotten, I still just cant get into it - still feeling indifferent about it.

Noah.

Gob-smackingly awful.
agreed, Nymphomaniac was horrible as well

Also came back to this for a second viewing:

View attachment 32262

For all the praise its gotten, I still just cant get into it - still feeling indifferent about it.
really? I quite liked it
as for me, last night I watched
Synecdoche,_New_York_poster.jpg

I loved it, so A+ for me, but I got a bit sad when I remembered that Philip Seymour Hoffman is gone :straightface:

I've just witnessed one of the most profoundly moving films I've ever seen; Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet, tells the devastating story of a child musical prodigy who was struck down with ALS, and robbed of his dream of becoming a rock star when it was within touching distance. A brilliant musical talent, who has, despite the most challenging circumstances, somehow found the will to carry on and still create music. A shattering, yet life-affirming and immensely uplifting experience. Just watch this film.

220px-Jason_Becker_Not_Dead_Yet_%282012%29.jpg

Transcendence.

Oh, God. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Take it away.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom