tell us about the last Film you saw

ok i liked i killed my own mother but only got through 10:53 of heartbeats

Honeymoon. Newlyweds go on a shagging expedition into the woods, but something (not really very) scary happens. There's a gynaecological event reminiscent of The Fly remake. It's pretty rubbish.

The Theory of Everything. The biopic about Stephen Hawking. It's a biopic, with all the issues that entails. Sudden bizarre exposition from supporting characters, "So Stephen, you're a Companion of Honour now!" etc. meh. It's OK.

American Sniper aka Chris Kyle Kills Kids. Look, I don't know of Kyle was a hero or not, but I do know that even as someone of the centre right I found this pretty nauseating. He did things I, and many others, would not have the courage to do, so in that sense he was extremely courageous. We don't go for all that "Thank you for your service" stuff in the UK, so that was faintly embarrassing to me. I'll be honest. I hated this movie. Preppers will want several copies on the shelf ready for Armageddon.

Into The Woods. Meryl Streep sings. Well I think she does, because I lasted 90 seconds before bailing out. It started to get a bit too Frozen a bit too quickly for my tastes. No fanks.

I'm getting through the Oscar nominated films apace, and not one has come close, in my opinion, to the stunning Mr. Turner, a film left cruelly peering through barriers of the Oscar security cordon.

I wanted to share this drunk footage I took of this fancy Sunset billboard for Inherent Vice in case there are any Thomas Pynchon fans in the house. And also because those not from LA might not get to see some of the fancier advertising that is pretty strip exclusive. Sometimes the billboards are quite elaborate, this one her leg moves with tons of real old school neon. I was on a tiny island at a weird intersection trying to keep Barney from walking onto Sunset because he was raring to sniff stuff, so pardon the out of focus in the beginning. And I was walking off a buzz so my camera skillz were not ace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honeymoon. Newlyweds go on a shagging expedition into the woods, but something (not really very) scary happens. There's a gynaecological event reminiscent of The Fly remake. It's pretty rubbish.

The Theory of Everything. The biopic about Stephen Hawking. It's a biopic, with all the issues that entails. Sudden bizarre exposition from supporting characters, "So Stephen, you're a Companion of Honour now!" etc. meh. It's OK.

American Sniper aka Chris Kyle Kills Kids. Look, I don't know of Kyle was a hero or not, but I do know that even as someone of the centre right I found this pretty nauseating. He did things I, and many others, would not have the courage to do, so in that sense he was extremely courageous. We don't go for all that "Thank you for your service" stuff in the UK, so that was faintly embarrassing to me. I'll be honest. I hated this movie. Preppers will want several copies on the shelf ready for Armageddon.

Into The Woods. Meryl Streep sings. Well I think she does, because I lasted 90 seconds before bailing out. It started to get a bit too Frozen a bit too quickly for my tastes. No fanks.

I'm getting through the Oscar nominated films apace, and not one has come close, in my opinion, to the stunning Mr. Turner, a film left cruelly peering through barriers of the Oscar security cordon.

they cut no more. go see the stage show of into the woods as i think it pretty awesome, you might to as its much more adult and funnier.

AGGTlYe.jpg

I know by the reviews and what people have said on here I'm going against the grain but by God this bored me. It's a double disappointment as I generally like Mike Leigh films but then again I'm not generally fond of period dramas so it's no surprise. Points scored for subject matter and cinematography are massively reduced as entertainment wise I'd give it 0. 4/10.

Nightcrawler-movie-poster.jpg

Gyllenhaal is fantastic in this, the only problem with this film is that every character is completely loathsome. Still, an entertaining 7/10.

This_Is_Where_I_Leave_You_poster.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometer has this at 42% ripe. I give it a higher score--I think it's fresh and fun, light and mindless. Sometimes you just want to be entertained. Good date night movie. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

th

barely held my attention, but I do so why these films do well in countries where English is not people's 1st language :straightface:
the Chinese folks I saw it with all seemed to like it, so gonna let it pass and give it a C-
after that we watched my choice, a film I remembered liking a lot when it came out:
large_grVyVwGUUicD0G1lY1FRcmzjXF8.jpg

not as good as I remembered it being, but still, I give it a B

http://www.swefilmer.com/starred-up-2013/blodsband-2013-video_4cd690808.html

Starred Up

This is the best prison related film since the danish prison drama "R" and the brilliant actors in it is the main reason. A violent teenager gets banged up with his dad being in the same prison and this sparks a battle between the two and the past they share.

http://magicalstream.net/pelicula/3497/left-behind.html

Left Behind

Poor Nicholas Cage said yes to the bible belters and made what must be the most expensive film about the rapture. Had it not been for the quality of this film and the drama scenes in it then you would have laughed this off. All through the film it made me wonder why christians have this need to scare people into believing.

Nicholas Cage as the captain of a plane makes him come across as a cheap imitation of John Travolta and that is what he is these days and this film made me realise that which was something I had sensed after watching his latest releases.

Just watched russian film Leviathan (2014) and I'm dead and speachless. Highly recommend it. If anybody interesred I will write more.

Just watched russian film Leviathan (2014) and I'm dead and speachless. Highly recommend it. If anybody interesred I will write more.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow with a real live Ruskie. I sense it might be like the recent British gigglefest Tyrannosaur in tone, but I understand it is loosely based on the Book of Job. I shall report back.

The Hobbit, Part Three. I forget the name. Ummm... Well, I felt a bit mean watching this (and its two predecessors) because I found myself looking at the marvellous aerial shots of groups of characters walking through New Zealand and so on, and thinking "Meh, I've seen that before" and not taking fully into account how stunning the LotR trilogy was when it came out. I felt a little ungrateful. I would like to point out, however, that an elf on a giant reindeer with antlers twelve feet wide is one of the sillier things I've seen recently. Where the hell would you park it?

It's a beautiful looking thing, but the characters didn't grab me in the same way as the Fellowship did. Like Game of Thrones I would struggle to name more than three or four characters. Tim from The Office is good, as is Sir Ian McKellen, reprising his role of Sir Ian McKellen from X-Men and Lord of the Rings.

I would also like to thank the Academy for leaking...

Wild, in which Reece Witherspoon embarks on a thousand mile walk to the West Coast to lay her demons and find herself. No spoilers, obviously, but she does. Pretty good, but definitely a deleter rather than a keeper.

http://www.swefilmer.com/kelly-cal-2014/kelly-cal-2014-video_af587b6ff.html

Kelly & Cal

Juliette Lewis is the hottest girl on the planet if you ask me so getting to see her and her brilliant acting is always a treat and so was this one. She is perfect in every way for the part as the wife who has just had her first child and doesn't fit into the role at all. She becomes friends with a neighbour teenager boy in a wheelchair which makes her confront her issues in life. Not in any way a brilliant film but overall well worth a watch.

http://www.swefilmer.com/deux-jours-une-nuit-2014/tva-dagar-en-natt-2014-video_936836e20.html

"Deux jours, une nuit" (Two Days, One Night)

A really gut wrenching film without being violent or scary in any way. This film deals with a married woman of two in France who has to convince her work colleagues to say no their bonus to save her job. I guess this could be seen as a french film inspired by Ken Loach and his many films about workers rights but in many ways it is not based in Loach's firmly rooted communist views and instead portrays todays Europe with a weak union where workers have to fight for their own rights despite often being members of a union.

I see this as a very honest attempt at questioning the power of the unions that rarely or never have any power in the end to defend their workers they are supposed to work for. As you follow her struggle during a weekend to convince her colleagues to save her job you slowly feel the unease creeping upon you. Having an insight into the world of weaker unions and workers starting to question its existance and membership numbers falling I see this film as very important and a very real account of the current state of workers rights and union power.

It is also no coincidence that this is a film based in France where the people are known for their resistance to work and often voice a view that they should not work at all or at least as little as possible. You could label the french as lazy and hard to deal with but maybe their culture is one filled with a tradition of looking at life in a much wider context that you can find in most other countries these days.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow with a real live Ruskie. I sense it might be like the recent British gigglefest Tyrannosaur in tone, but I understand it is loosely based on the Book of Job. I shall report back.

Sorry, I don't know about Tyrannosaur, but I see the reference to the Book of Job. What touched me most about the Leviathan is that it shows a wrong and unfair life around which I tried to escape not watching/reading any news and television. Saying a wrong life I mean not only stray dogs' flogs on a streets or drivers/passengers not using safety belts. The movie was filmed in a beautiful rocky northern coastal town and I liked the acting crew - not super famous local actors and some are totally unknown.

Sorry, I should register to fix my posts, I meant flocks of dogs, not flogs whatever it means on English

Sorry, I don't know about Tyrannosaur, but I see the reference to the Book of Job. What touched me most about the Leviathan is that it shows a wrong and unfair life around which I tried to escape not watching/reading any news and television. Saying a wrong life I mean not only stray dogs' flogs on a streets or drivers/passengers not using safety belts. The movie was filmed in a beautiful rocky northern coastal town and I liked the acting crew - not super famous local actors and some are totally unknown.

Tyrannosaur is brilliant but very heavy viewing. In the same bracket of hard to watch films as Nil By Mouth. Will get Leviathan in my eyes too.

http://www.swefilmer.com/tom-a-la-ferme-2013/tom-at-the-farm-2013-video_5b85c641a.html

Tom at the Farm

This canadian film from the french speaking parts of the country starts off really annoyingly and then turns into a very haunting and quite unique film. It is about a young gay man who has to go to his diseased lovers home for the funeral which makes him bump into his lovers older scary brother. Something about it impressed me and made it a very unusual experience.

http://www.swefilmer.com/men-women-children-2014/men-women-children-2014-video_87f3078f5.html

Men, Women & Children

Yet another absolutely awesome film based on a novel and I never wanted it to end. A cast to impress most people and refreshing to see Adam Sandler in a film where he doesn't play the fool and actually shows he can act in a serious film. Emma Thompson's narrative voice gives you the whole novel turned film feeling and does it brilliantly.

The film is about modern America and how both kids and adults use and handle the internet. Loads of sex which is the main theme here and not a single dull moment in this two hour long film. A real must see for people into the type of films that weave together a number of characters and their experiences. The end is just perfection with a powerful message to us all.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom