tell us about the last Film you saw

Stage_Fright_2014_horror_musical_poster.jpg

I love musicals, I like a lot of horror movies & Allie MacDonald :brows:
so I should really like this film, but much of just don't work so the best I can do is give it a generous:
D+ :o

What Maise Knew

Great cast and performances. Thought provoking. Excellent direction. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

- - - Updated - - -

Edge_of_Tomorrow_Poster.jpg

my dislike for Tom Cruise was mostly offset by my :horny: for Emily Blunt in this :blushing:
so with the pluses and the minuses it rounds up to an A- for me :thumb:

Just watched this. Well most of it. Lost interest halfway through. Not sure I'll finish it. Cruise looks good for his age.

What Maise Knew

Great cast and performances. Thought provoking. Excellent direction. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched this. Well most of it. Lost interest halfway through. Not sure I'll finish it. Cruise looks good for his age.
yeah "What Maise Knew" was pretty good, as for "Edge of Tomorrow" I watched it again with some other folks and my A- was a bit rash I think :o
the thing is its got a lot in it that remind me of two films I really enjoyed "Starship Troopers" & "Groundhog Day"

I respect / envy all of you who are able to write short, to the point, insightful reviews.
as for me, had restless sleep today and watched:
M2193302.jpg

well, since I often like "sports dramas" its not surprising I like this one, I give it a B :guitar:

The Babadook.

Woah. Creepy stuff. A must see. Available now from the usual sources.

Warm_Bodies_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

right in my wheelhouse, so I liked it a lot, thanks BG :)
still, good, but not great really :o
too slow in some parts, but I loved the soundtrack so that pushed it to an A- for me :guitar:

http://www.swefilmer.com/omheten-2013/omheten-2013-video_cbe402fc7.html

Broken Hill Blues

This film set in the far north swedish mining town of Kiruna focuses on two frustrated young men and a few other characters. It deals with their lives with the backdrop of the towns mining industry which means the whole town will have to be moved in order for the mine to continue which is something that is going on in real life. Explosions from the mine makes buildings and all kinds of things shake.

The film is slow and quite silent and a bit arty like you expect from a film made for a film festival. It features Sebastian Hiort af Ornäs from the film "Sebbe" and Lina Leandersson from the original swedish making of "Let the right one in".

This is swedish despair and social disorder at its finest out in nowhere. Young men in their rattling cars going nowhere having to work in the mine.

The Babadook.

Woah. Creepy stuff. A must see. Available now from the usual sources.

So I got this in my eyes last night on the back of your recommendation. Not really into horrors as they tend to be very formulaic but this borrowed as much from the 70's and 80's as it did from the last decade so it was pretty good. 8/10.

So I got this in my eyes last night on the back of your recommendation. Not really into horrors as they tend to be very formulaic but this borrowed as much from the 70's and 80's as it did from the last decade so it was pretty good. 8/10.

I enjoyed the way it didn't go for the normal jump scares, and how until quite far into the film I wasn't entirely sure if the Babadook was in fact a figment caused by the Mother's descent into madness. I watch a lot of horror movies - not always by choice - and as you say they're are often so similar when something slightly different comes up it is really refreshing.

http://www.swefilmer.com/if-i-stay-2014/if-i-stay-2014-video_e7696baac.html

If I Stay

American girl meets guy films can be cheesy as hell but this was different. This film is about a girl who is involved in a car crash with her family and from that point we get a look back at her life and especially the time with the guy she met. There are a lot of name dropping references to rock artists and the like in this one and the music in it isn't at all bad. Usually when a band is portrayed in a film playing live it looks silly but in this one it is done in a great way and even the music they play is decent.

I loved the camp fire scene when they all sing a Smashing Pumpkins song. This film should touch your heart so grab your loved one and watch it.

http://dreamfilm.se/movies/details/5969-still-life/

Still Life

This is one of the best films I have ever seen. It would be easy to accuse the italian director Pasolini of copying Mike Leigh and even using the same actors like the brilliant Eddie Marsan but that would be very cruel. This film about a council worker trying to find the loved ones of those that passed away is brilliant from start to finish. Even the music will give you that Mike Leigh feeling and maybe Pasolini chose to film this one in London as a tribute to Leigh because that would make a lot of sense.

I sincerely doubt anyone out there would watch this film and not be moved by it and not applaud the magic it creates with very little effort. Watching it on Remembrance Day of all days just gave this film an extra dimension somehow. After this one it will take something really spectacular to be as impressed as I am right now.

http://dreamfilm.se/movies/details/5959-across-the-line/

Across The Line

Finance criminal hides in Mexico and all hell breaks loose. Not that good to be honest but for fans of Bros it might be fun to watch Luke Goss acting and he looks ok for this kind of role. Found the end a bit pathetic as it ends too early and if the end tribute had been for me I would have sued them.

http://dreamfilm.se/movies/details/5969-still-life/

Still Life

This is one of the best films I have ever seen. It would be easy to accuse the italian director Pasolini of copying Mike Leigh and even using the same actors like the brilliant Eddie Marsan but that would be very cruel. This film about a council worker trying to find the loved ones of those that passed away is brilliant from start to finish. Even the music will give you that Mike Leigh feeling and maybe Pasolini chose to film this one in London as a tribute to Leigh because that would make a lot of sense.

I sincerely doubt anyone out there would watch this film and not be moved by it and not applaud the magic it creates with very little effort. Watching it on Remembrance Day of all days just gave this film an extra dimension somehow. After this one it will take something really spectacular to be as impressed as I am right now.

Have to correct myself here. It was of course Remembrance Sunday yesterday and not Remembrance Day. This film made me think of my mother who passed away many years ago and she worked for the council up until her retirement and one of her many duties was to remove the recently dead from public records.

large_bwVhmPpydv8P7mWfrmL3XVw0MV5.jpg

yep, I showed some Chinese folks an old anime about the horrors of WW2 back on Japan's homefront :crazy:
they were quite incredulous about it, but still, I think one of them connected with it, which is what showing it was all about for me :o
anyways, no grade, its sad, but good, nuff said

Scrooge - The 1951 original and best interpretation with Alastair Sim. Gets me in the festive mood.

large_bwVhmPpydv8P7mWfrmL3XVw0MV5.jpg

yep, I showed some Chinese folks an old anime about the horrors of WW2 back on Japan's homefront :crazy:
they were quite incredulous about it, but still, I think one of them connected with it, which is what showing it was all about for me :o
anyways, no grade, its sad, but good, nuff said

its actually fantastic. i love that movie

http://www.swefilmer.com/afternoon-delight-2013/afternoon-delight-2013-video_cc4979e9f.html

Afternoon Delight

A simply fantastic indie film focusing on a mother of one and her midlife crisis. Very rare to see that and when it is done in this great way then it is both entertaining and fascinating. I particularly loved the "women and wine night" when the mothers chill out with some wine and it goes out of hand a bit.

Taking care of a young stripper with all the best intentions may not be such a good idea after all.

jude law is a really really good actor. watched "blue is the warmest color" and yeah people should watch it as it was great and gorgeous to look at. beautiful

blue-is-the-warmest-color-lea-seydoux1.jpg

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom