tell us about the last Film you saw

The film was released this year and yes a first edition copy of he Iliad.

The film clearly demonstrates how american film is still stuck in a glory days haze and is repeating itself over and over without adding any sort of intellectual thoughts so throwing the Iliad in there is just a way to cover up how stupid the whole country is. American film always falls into the trap of portraying intellectuals in a stereotype manner as we know all american intellectuals are just posers with no connection to the source of intellectualism that sure as hell have never had any sort of ties with USA. I know some english related people of Boston drinking tea tried to make USA civilised but failed miserably as the banjo playing elite of the country opted to remain in the trailers and swamps.

But I must add that this attempt to cover up how stupid americans are failed miserable here as we all know it became a laughing stock of the world. That scene is so typical in that americans have no interest in being intellectual and treating things from other cultures with respect so that is why we got a film like this where the people in it discuss a book that is supposed to trigger this intellectual feel in it. The scene with the "first edition of the Iliad" is what you can expect when a country chooses to turn its back on things that are not american. Americans never could handle patriotism with intelligence but the weird thing is that they boast about being ignorant but then become angry when they are portrayed as ignorant and stupid.

USA really has to decide on which foot they choose to stand cause right now they are sitting on their arse.

doesn't a first edition of something just mean the first print from that or this publisher. not a literal definition of the first time it was bound but actually "published"

doesn't a first edition of something just mean the first print from that or this publisher. not a literal definition of the first time it was bound but actually "published"

You have a point there and I can see it from both angles here. This is about bookworms and their sort of humour which is as weird as student humour where a technique student can joke about a micro chip and no one laughs.

The term first edition and the Iliad written long before we had printing press was too much for some.

There is a reason there are books around cause they are needed for those poor people that have no lives. Imagine life for those people if there weren't any books for them to read. If you see someone with bad eyesight and attitude problem claiming to know more than you chances are they are a bookworm.

http://www.swefilmer.com/foxcatcher-2014/foxcatcher-2014-video_0af057f22.html

Foxcatcher

I had heard a lot of good things about this film and can easily say it was one of the better films on my personal list of favourite films. As with any film inspired by real events it adds something extra to it and the acting in this one is as good as I have ever seen. My last summer as a teen without having a summerjob was during the LA olympics as I watched it all on tv at night and slept all day so it felt interesting that this film sort of had the start of the story from right after that time.

I loved the transformation of Channing Tatum who in this film has that typical acromegaly look in the face that almost all wrestlers get from using steroids. I don't like the sport at all since I find grown men wrestling and fondling each other totally off putting but I respect it more after seeing this film. Steve Carell is simply brilliant and finally shows he can do some serious acting as the eccentric millionaire/billionaire. Really have to look up these peoples history as it left me wanting to know a lot more.

http://www.swefilmer.com/ex-machina-2015/ex-machina-2015-video_6cd23c6a0.html

Ex Machina

I read some months ago about swedish sensation Alicia Vikander playing a robot or artificial intelligence and felt excited about that and although this film is a technical masterpiece that just draws you into the flawless world of science fiction it still ended the same as all the other films with the same theme. I think humans need to realise our bodies are not the best and no real AI intelligent enough would wanna become us with our crap genes and cancer and other diseases. A problem I have with Alicia's acting is that it still remains a bit too technical for my liking. All her characters are too controlled and each scene and move of her face seems thought through and are not natural at all. I hope she will play an average girl in a real life drama or something to free her of the posing and dialogue that needs crutches.

You have a point there and I can see it from both angles here. This is about bookworms and their sort of humour which is as weird as student humour where a technique student can joke about a micro chip and no one laughs.

The term first edition and the Iliad written long before we had printing press was too much for some.

There is a reason there are books around cause they are needed for those poor people that have no lives. Imagine life for those people if there weren't any books for them to read. If you see someone with bad eyesight and attitude problem claiming to know more than you chances are they are a bookworm.

I just think it funny as people just always want to rush to judgment and make themselves look more knowledgeable by taking something else down rather than just amazing people with there own thoughts abilities ideas. if they could do that I don't think theyd indulge in this silly behavior because why would they need to

Because it's available on Netflix now I'm watching Heavenly Creatures. This movie sorta rocked my world when it came out. A few years ago I watched it again and wondered what the hell was wrong with me, thought it was horrible. On it's third play it's rather entertaining, I'm a 1/4 through. Movie perceptions can change by the day in the world of magical thinking. :p

Two ROSES starring in this movie, one from Two and a Half Men, the other from Titanic. :D

p16872_d_v7_aa.jpg

Last edited:
Because it's available on Netflix now I'm watching Heavenly Creatures. This movie sorta rocked my world when it came out. A few years ago I watched it again and wondered what the hell was wrong with me, thought it was horrible. On it's third play it's rather entertaining, I'm a 1/4 through. Movie perceptions can change by the day in the world of magical thinking. :p

Two ROSES starring in this movie, one from Two and a Half Men, the other from Titanic. :D

p16872_d_v7_aa.jpg

I still love it and made a comment about it a page ago or rather a few days ago. I intentionally don't look at directors since I hate it when people try to argue that something is worth while just because of so and so (read as tey cant come up with there own opinions) and I didn't want to be that person but my friend svienn mentioned it was by peter Jackson and I was blown away. his first I think

anyone gonna watch heaven knows what when its released to the net on Friday. I don't know much about it but it looks at the very least to be a rubber necker

the trailer for "heaven knows what". wonder if itll be this generations basketball diaries. for sure made want to check out the book. I like the scene where the junkie nods off into the trash fire and barely notices and cant put themselves out. that happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFatScQmoUg

http://www.swefilmer.com/beautiful-amp-twisted-2015/beautiful-amp-twisted-2015-video_e9fb75448.html

Beautiful & Twisted

When he's not hanging out with his neighbour Oprah, Rob Lowe gladly plays the lost bad boy and as such he was perfect in this tv movie. Based on real events it is about the famous Fountainbleu murder in Florida. This film is fascinating and funny as it deals with a true female psychopath which is quite rare and although what happened was as serious as cancer the story about it has been turned into something that is more or less like a bizarre comedy.

fresh

a fantastic movie that went unappreciated until a few years after its release. stupid good

fresh-dl-thumb.jpg

304060_full.jpg

this guy is to good an actor to leave out of the picture

http://www.swefilmer.com/haeligvnen-2010/haumlmnden-2010-video_b111a2483.html

In A Better World

This danish drama features the brilliant and powerful swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt who is torn between his time as a doctor in Africa and his failed marriage in Denmark. His son is bullied in school for being half swedish and an absent father doesn't help. A new kid moves to the town and ends up in the same class as the bullied boy and the two form a duo that strike back against the bullies. Great actors all through and quite a dark story.

http://www.swefilmer.com/en-chance-til-2014/en-andra-chans-2014-video_25f7dfdef.html

A Second Chance

Life works in mysterious ways and after watching "In A Better World" the other night directed by danish director Susanne Bier up pops this the latest film from her that premieres in July. This is one of the better scandinavian films I have seen with a mix of the best danish and swedish actors around.

You won't be able to watch this and not feel ill cause this deals with a junkie couple with a baby they neglect and a policeman who himself has recently had a baby. This is the sort of film that surprise you all through it and the story is so intelligent and well thought through. Without saying too much this deals with not knowing who you are married to and overcoming sorrow in the most drastic manner.

Swedish actress Maria Bonnevie, who was once in a relationship with Persbrandt mentioned above, always seems to play the hysterical lost woman bursting out into madness and no one does it better than her. I could mention the whole cast cause this one stands above most other social dramas I have seen. Danish film just keeps on delivering the best film in the world and the acting is just beyond what others have to offer in the way they are able to deliver dialogue without over doing it.

All I can do is to congratulate Susanne Bier on her best film by far in her great career as a director.

Frankie & Alice. Halle Berry stars as a stripper... Six of the most promising words in the English language. Terrible film, though.

Kingsman, The Secret Service. Colin Firth in a fun (but dopey) film which brings to mind the early Bonds, and those great sixties TV shows such as The Prisoner and The Avengers. A bit overlong, but has its moments.

a five star guardian review for heaven knows what. I really really want to see this and read it for that matter.

"There’s nothing harder in movie-making than blending genres. The Coen brothers have the knack: Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn’t There or A Serious Man seesaw from existential despair to absurdist comedy in a blink. Maybe it’s a sibling thing, because Josh and Bennie Safdie’s breathtaking new film, Heaven Knows What, is a similar souffle of seeming contradiction. It’s a movie in which, in terms of plot, hardly anything happens, yet each scene is thick with tension. It has the raw urgency of cinéma vérité, but is actually quite stylised. There is also, in fairness, nothing new in this peek at a life of drug-addicted street dwellers, yet the whole production ties itself up in a bow that feels fresh. This is an exciting, creative and exhilarating jolt of cinema, and one of the more perfect “small gems” to arrive for some time.

Arielle Holmes makes her film debut as Harley, a young woman with a thick Noo Yawkah patois and firecracker energy. She’d be beautiful if she had a bath or her eyelids weren’t always at half-mast due to dope; instead she’s merely magnetising. We’re dropped directly into her world without much to cling to. Her life as an addict isn’t day to day, it’s moment to moment. On the go, she’s in constant crisis – bumming a swipe for the subway, finding a place to stash her bag, angling an extra fix from her pal/dealer/flophouse roomie not to just tide her over til morning, but so that she can actually feel a rush.

On top of this, she’s got a problem more typical of women in their early 20s: a jerk of a boyfriend who dominates her heart, yet gives her nothing but grief. Ilya is played by Caleb Landry Jones, looking more mangey than ever – and that’s saying something. In the picture’s bravura opening, Harley confronts him with a threat of suicide: “If you loved me, you’d come watch me die.” There follows a remarkable and lengthy one-take that sums up Harley’s experience in Bellevue hospital, the dialogue rendered inaudible by the first of many unexpected uses of foreboding electronic music.

As Harley returns to the streets, her days and nights are a series of Herculean labours – conniving dealers, figuring out good times to “spange” (ask for spare change) and just dealing with her circle of drugged-out compatriots constantly at one another’s throats. Side characters weave in and, to the Safdies’ great credit, not a whiff of backstory is given. Does it matter how, exactly, these individuals came to this lowly fate? Not to them – all that matters is right now, this very moment, and figuring out how to scrape together another 15 bucks as quickly as possible.

There was a moment in the late 1990s when I was convinced that if I saw another movie about grubby New York kids shooting up, I’d need an opiate myself. Heaven Knows What got that message. Beneath the filth, there is an immense amount of style, but not a romanticism. Many of the scenes are shot from far away with long lenses, so our subjects are in sharp focus, but the world around them is a blur. There’s one minor moment of happiness (after some sneaky thievery) to the point that Harley and Ilya just collapse on the Manhattan cement as if it’s their private hotel suite.

Advertisement

The use of New York as a character is a cliche you hear at screening Q&As, but has rarely been so apt. This doesn’t mean seeing landmarks in the background – indeed, there’s an explicit lack of anything too recognisable to out of towners – but a clever use of the city’s enormous population as a ubiquitous, disinterested supporting player. As our band of loud, frequently quarrelling dirtbags weave in and out of various Dunkin’ Donuts, White Castles and the avenues of the Upper West Side, it’s striking just how present the busy New Yorkers are in the frame. What’s so extraordinary, and realistic, is how everyone just strides past the drama. As one who has lived in this town for pretty much his entire life, I can’t tell you how easy it is to blaze past a couple like Harley and Ilya screaming at each other. For all I know, I am an extra in this movie, oblivious to hustling past the most important or heartbreaking scenes.

The keystone, however, is Arielle Holmes’ performance. While her accent is reminiscent of Linda Manz, her energy recalls Gena Rowlands in the best of Cassavetes’ films. I went into Heaven Knows What unaware that the film is based on Holmes’ unpublished book of her own experiences. When I read a bit about the film’s development, I wasn’t surprised. You can’t come out of the gate with a first leading role like this without some deeper knowledge. What’s exciting is that her resilience shines through, and I suspect she’ll take naturally to film acting in roles that deviate from her own experience. As exciting as the film is and it is by far the best of the Safdies’ four features, it’s also a harbinger of a major new screen talent.
Heaven Knows What is on limited release in the US now."

http://www.swefilmer.com/run-all-night-2015/run-all-night-2015-video_bc8f83520.html

Run All Night

This is another NYC mob related film starring Liam Neeson and this time he is not playing the perfect guy and instead plays a rather complicated man. He is though playing the same Johnny on the spot character that he's done his whole career and he still flashes his irish pride this time in the shape of his Eire tattoo.

Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman still cannot handle accents or the language to give him that authentic american identity and I still cannot stomach his sad puppy looks when he tries to play tough. He should have stayed in his native Sweden instead of going for the cash.

This is easy entertainment and even includes a classic car chase and it's only the presence of Ed Harris that gives this film some weight. This is also like some big commercial for the New York Rangers.

http://www.swefilmer.com/la-prochai...minst-misstaumlnkte-2014-video_fa8cd7231.html

La Prochaine Fois Je Viserai Le Coeur

My favourite ever serial killer drama based on reality is the swedish mini tv series "Lasermannen" (The Laser Man) about the Stockholm killer John Ausonius. This french drama based on real events and mixed with some imagination by those that wrote it to try and understand this serial killer is the best film about a serial killer I have seen so far.

It is about the murders of young women in the Oise region of France in the late 70's. Early on you get to know that the serial killer is the local military policeman of the Gendarmerie so giving that away does not spoil the film as the viewer is meant to know that. We get to follow his sad life where he struggles with his homosexual urges as he cannot live up to the expectations from his mother who wants him to find a woman.

To curb his urges he not only kills young local women but also uses the same flagellant methods that some monks do to keep their urges in check. I see a lot of parallels with the swedish mini tv series about the laser man and Guillaume Canet impresses me as the serial killer Franck Neuhart as much as David Dencik did playing the laser man John Ausonius. The two characters are so closely connected somehow and both actors leave a chilling impression that will stay with you for a long time. An absolute pleasure to watch such amazing acting in a film that tries to understand the impossible.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom