tell us about the last Film you saw

the-graduate.jpg

I'm about to watch this. One of my all time favorite movies. There's three movies I could watch over and over. This, Lost in Translation, and The Royal Tenenbaums.

the-graduate.jpg

I'm about to watch this. One of my all time favorite movies. There's three movies I could watch over and over. This, Lost in Translation, and The Royal Tenenbaums.

I watched three of my faves this weekend for the umpteenth times: Pretty in Pink, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Say Anything. My Netflix was acting up so I had to resort to the old standby DVD player.

this is really interesting to me. howd did it work out

"The director chooses to cut the edges of the picture so it looks like a 4:3 format at times but during the characters happier moments the picture is expanded to a full 16:9 format."

fried green tomatoes is one of the best movies that doesnt get the respect it really deserves.

this is really interesting to me. howd did it work out

"The director chooses to cut the edges of the picture so it looks like a 4:3 format at times but during the characters happier moments the picture is expanded to a full 16:9 format."

fried green tomatoes is one of the best movies that doesnt get the respect it really deserves.

Dolan shot MOMMY in 1:1. Which is a square frame. Composition would be the primary reason for choosing one aspect ratio over another.

I haven't seen the film yet so I can't comment on the shifts between aspect ratios

Last edited:
Dolan shot MOMMY in 1:1. Which is a square frame. Composition would be the primary reason for choosing one aspect ratio over another.

I haven't seen the film yet so I can't comment on the shifts between aspect ratios

well let me know how it worked on screen if you do see it.

http://www.swefilmer.com/gods-pocket-2014/gods-pocket-2014-video_bebd5a5d7.html

God's Pocket

With this film I bid farewell to the brilliant and miserable Philip Seymour Hoffman who was the same age as me but looked at least 10 years or more older which was understandable taking his lifestyle into consideration. This film based in the neighbourhood of God's Pocket in what to me looked like late 70's or very early 80's is a brilliant film from start to finish. It is another mob related story based on a novel but without the usual action and over the top violence. This is a psychological portrayal of poor people and losers stuck in the streets where they were raised. Nice to see the brilliant english actor Eddie Marsan in an american film but I hope he doesn't go the same way as other brilliant british actors who were forced to play ridiculous characters in pathetic american films. This was the first american one I have seen him in and it was a film and character made for his glum face.

http://www.swefilmer.com/bad-turn-worse-2013/bad-turn-worse-2013-video_e0bd80ed7.html

Bad Turn Worse

This one based in Texas is another mob related story but the story revolves around a triangle love drama that complicates things. I was impressed with the young actors in it and the film manages to surprise you along the way. In parts it is beautiful in a very emotional way and is a far better story than we usually see when it comes to young people trying to find a way to get away from their humdrum birthplace.

http://www.swefilmer.com/gentlemen-2014/gentlemen-2014-video_14d03d28f.html

Gentlemen

This swedish film based on the novel with the same name from 1980 by Klas Östergren tells the story about the Morgan brothers in Stockholm. It was directed by Mikael Marcimain who is known for his films that often are based in 70's Sweden. I would describe this as a film as rich and genuine as a cuban cigar and it can be seen as confusing and weird but that just adds to the charm. It deals with a lot of things from mental illness and alcohol and drug abuse to illegal weapon export to the nazis. Marcimain has his favourite actors and this film is no different and once again the talented David Dencik is one of them and he is the one adding pace to the storytelling. Not a brilliant film but it could have been had the tempo been a bit slower and some facts and historical events erased because it is stuffed with references. Usually I feel some films need to be shorter but this one would have benefited from being about half an hour longer allowing some things to sink in a bit more but it managed to fascinate me and is a film that may benefit from more than one viewing.

" The Good Lie" with the smashing Reese Withherspoon is one of those rare films that makes me smile with my heart. You just want to hug everybody in it, and it inspires you to go out there and do good things. (for a minute, and then you go back to watching horror flicks because that's just... easier :( )

See for yourselves.

all about eve was great and later day betty davis was also pretty special. gonna try out that gods pocket movie today some an on was talking about above

http://www.swefilmer.com/hide-your-...-your-smiling-faces-2013-video_15a6cbe2a.html

Hide Your Smiling Faces

A typical american indie film and this one reminded me a bit of "Stand by me". It also made me remember childhood as a boy and summers spent doing nothing and everything. This film reminds us all of childhood and the mystery of it and typical childhood things like fingering on scar tissue and fighting with the boys instead of cuddling with girls. I liked it as this film is like a long poem about childhood summers gone by.

RED 2 (2013)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/80-red-2.html

Retired C.I.A. agent Frank Moses reunites his unlikely team of elite operatives for a global quest to track down a missing portable nuclear device.

-----------

DUMMA MEJ 2 (2013)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/79-dumma-mej-2.html

Äventyret fortsätter för den omvände superskurken Gru, hans Minioner och de tre flickorna som älskar honom i uppföljaren till Dumma mig.

----------

RIO 2 (2014)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/78-rio-2.html

Blu och Jewel lever ett lyckligt liv med sina tre barn i den magiska staden Rio de Janeiro. När Jewel bestämmer att det är dags för barnen att leva som riktiga fåglar, drar hon med hela familjen till Amazonas.

----------

SNABBA CASH - LIVET DELUXE (2013)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/77-snabba-cash-livet-deluxe.html

JW lever på landsflykt, nu fast besluten att få reda på vad som hänt med sin försvunna syster Camilla. Spåren leder till Stockholms undre värld. Jorge ska göra en sista stöt, Sveriges genom tidernas största värdetransportrån. Men under de komplicerade förberedelserna möter han en kvinna från sitt förflutna: Nadja.

RED 2 (2013)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/80-red-2.html

Retired C.I.A. agent Frank Moses reunites his unlikely team of elite operatives for a global quest to track down a missing portable nuclear device.

-----------

DUMMA MEJ 2 (2013)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/79-dumma-mej-2.html

Äventyret fortsätter för den omvände superskurken Gru, hans Minioner och de tre flickorna som älskar honom i uppföljaren till Dumma mig.

----------

RIO 2 (2014)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/78-rio-2.html

Blu och Jewel lever ett lyckligt liv med sina tre barn i den magiska staden Rio de Janeiro. När Jewel bestämmer att det är dags för barnen att leva som riktiga fåglar, drar hon med hela familjen till Amazonas.

----------

SNABBA CASH - LIVET DELUXE (2013)

http://www.swefilmer.ws/77-snabba-cash-livet-deluxe.html

JW lever på landsflykt, nu fast besluten att få reda på vad som hänt med sin försvunna syster Camilla. Spåren leder till Stockholms undre värld. Jorge ska göra en sista stöt, Sveriges genom tidernas största värdetransportrån. Men under de komplicerade förberedelserna möter han en kvinna från sitt förflutna: Nadja.
En annan svensk på MSolo

En annan svensk på MSolo

Nej då, det är bara en som klipper och klistrar från Swefilmer och som länge retat sig på bland annat mina recensioner och länkar till filmer. Det retar speciellt amerikaner att filmerna har svensk text då de inte har textade filmer vilket beror på att de inte heller kan läsa för det mesta.

Bara i USA hyllar man ignoransen och dumheten som vore det en dygd.

" The Good Lie" with the smashing Reese Withherspoon is one of those rare films that makes me smile with my heart. You just want to hug everybody in it, and it inspires you to go out there and do good things. (for a minute, and then you go back to watching horror flicks because that's just... easier :( )

See for yourselves.

Little known fact about "The Good Lie": based on a true story, this movie was shelved in 1982 due to an accident in the special effects department. Fourteen people were killed when a prosthetic arm malfunctioned. The arm was designed for actor Vic Morrow. He was to play a disabled Vietnam war vet turned drug lord who ruled the streets with a robotic arm. The arm was designed to squeeze things really hard. The day of the accident, the special effects department was full of visitors from a nearby Amish village. One of the men decided to arm wrestle the prop. He was killed instantly. Thirteen more Amish men were killed as each one gripped the arm to avenge the last man.

Little known fact about "The Good Lie": based on a true story, this movie was shelved in 1982 due to an accident in the special effects department. Fourteen people were killed when a prosthetic arm malfunctioned. The arm was designed for actor Vic Morrow. He was to play a disabled Vietnam war vet turned drug lord who ruled the streets with a robotic arm. The arm was designed to squeeze things really hard. The day of the accident, the special effects department was full of visitors from a nearby Amish village. One of the men decided to arm wrestle the prop. He was killed instantly. Thirteen more Amish men were killed as each one gripped the arm to avenge the last man.

giphy.gif

Last one i saw was natural born killers, wasted 2 hours of my life:sick:

That is a typical comment from people watching films if they feel it was bad, that they wasted as much time of their life as the film was long. People at film forums always make a comment like that and especially very young people. If we had the same attitude towards other things then we would find we waste our time all the time like I do now replying to your post.

I find that sort of thinking very tiresome as is the idea that watching film is escapism. For me it can never be about escaping because film always tells me something important and life itself rarely does in the same way. I waste more time in real life than I do watching a film because a film always gives me some sort of cultural experience and insight into topics and ideas that people around me rarely or never discuss not to mention getting to know words and languages and cultures.

There are some people who should never watch films or theatre or any sort of cultural performances because they cannot take it in. They are full of themselves and narcissistic and as soon as they are not in the center of attention then that something becomes a threat.

That leads me onto the boring discussions when people say this and that actor played the other actor off the screen. Rarely or never do people realise that actors follow the directors instructions on how to act and what to say and what to do. There is no competition in films between actors and never have been and never will be cause they follow their directors instructions and read the script. Some people tend to see too much in actors and especially americans who of course replaced the lack of royalty with actors which in itself means the films take second place and the looks and ways of an actor comes first.

Film is a fantastic way to learn something and far better than reading books because reading a book demands a brain that can understand it and if you look at people struggling to understand a manual then I doubt most readers actually understand what they read and who would prefer paper and letters to film with sound and vision and so much more adding to it. The answer is if course a narcissist.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom