tell us about the last Film you saw

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson shows off her body and assures me it is no more fit than the bodies of the ladies I have had. Celtic and Hibs fans and even the elephant man make up the odd cast in a film that has been explained by many but I doubt anyone understood it and that is perhaps this films only plus point. The power of a womans looks can have such a great impact.

http://www.swefilmer.com/under-the-skin-2013/under-the-skin-2013-video_fa76392be.html

Continuing my '70s American cinema fest, I watched Midnight Express last night. I hate to say this, but it's a terrible movie. How it's so highly rated and won so many awards I just cannot understand.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077928/

Today I re-watched L.I.E. again for the first time since it was released, and it had even more of an impact on me this time around. Such complicated characters, so many dark, conflicted feelings. Brian Cox is perfect in it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242587/

Saving Trooper Avatar's Groundhog, also known as Edge of Tomorrow.

Tom Cruise stars as an Army PR dumped into the frontline to battle an alien invasion. After killing one of the alien creatures and ingesting its bodily fluids he finds himself travelling back in time to his base camp every time he's killed.

Twenty years ago I'd have sautéed my eyes in garlic butter rather than watch a Tom Cruise film. These days I rather like him. This film, despite its influences and similarities to other stories, is quite fun.

I give Edge of Tomorrow a totally unexpected 8/10.

Under%252520the%252520skin%252520poster_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

ScarJo naked :horny: no, but yes, umm that aside, :rolleyes:
its an interesting film, told basically from the exterior of an alien's perspective, which worked for me since I have read the book which it is inspired by and that informed what I believed was going on
its a very different film though from what the book is, but it had to be, I really don't think the book was "filmable"
and for me, the other star of the film is the forbidding beauty of Scotland :blushing: so I give it an:
A

Under%252520the%252520skin%252520poster_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

ScarJo naked :horny: no, but yes, umm that aside, :rolleyes:
its an interesting film, told basically from the exterior of an alien's perspective, which worked for me since I have read the book which it is inspired by and that informed what I believed was going on
its a very different film though from what the book is, but it had to be, I really don't think the book was "filmable"
and for me, the other star of the film is the forbidding beauty of Scotland :blushing: so I give it an:
A

I've discussed this film ad nauseaum on a film forum I frequent. I have to say, it's probably the most polarizing film of 2014. Some real vitriol getting heaved at Glazer. While I happened to have a much more positive feeling to the film, I see some glaring flaws. Anyway , most of the veiwers who have read the book, said the same and I've put the book on my reading list, just to see what effect it might have on my feelings about the film.

The sound design was excellent. Even if you don't like the film, I'm certain you'll appreciate the score!

I almost forgot: Stylistically, if you liked the Karma Police video, then you'll probably like this film.

Last edited:
I've discussed this film ad nauseaum on a film forum I frequent. I have to say, it's probably the most polarizing film of 2014. Some real vitriol getting heaved at Glazer. While I happened to have a much more positive feeling to the film, I see some glaring flaws. Anyway , most of the veiwers who have read the book, said the same and I've put the book on my reading list, just to see what effect it might have on my feelings about the film.

The sound design was excellent. Even if you don't like the film, I'm certain you'll appreciate the score!

I almost forgot: Stylistically, if you liked the Karma Police video, then you'll probably like this film.
its well worth the read, real funny in some parts and interesting take on the consumption of other creatures :straightface: the book I mean :o
still, the film defo got some ScarJo under my skin, so I went back on watched
litacademys.jpg

still, one of my fave films, really hit me emotionally and in many ways, spoke to the life I live now, which was unexpected :eek:
so still an A+ in my book
sadly, as I watched with a my new flatmate, who had not seen it, he was smoking and offered me one, one became another, after the film I went down and bought a pack, in the meantime, my download of:
Hitchcock-2012.jpg

came in, Helen Mirren shines in this film, the others are good too, but she carries the film, so I give it a B+
two other things to say in relation to it, that while ScarJo has an appeal for sure and could still become one of my fave actresses of her "generation"
I still feel that they
LeighJanet_zps3793268d.jpg

just don't make em like they use to :blushing:
having said that, I may watch "The Girl"(the Hitchcock as a bad man film) which I DLed a while ago
or might just keep illusions about him and pop in "Vertigo" which I adore or one I've not seen for years but remember really liking when I saw it:
frenzy-movie-poster-1972_zpsdb15efb6.jpg

we'll see, gonna be a long day at work...

I saw I Origins last night. I really enjoyed it. Some of the scenes were a little camp, like in Law & Order when they go to a computer expert and he types in two sentences and brings up a national database at light speed. And there was some basic Atheism 101 lectures disguised as deep thought were sorta dumb, but the movie was still pretty riveting, thinking about it still today.

Last edited by a moderator:
A+
11+schindlers-list-poster.jpg

Ralph Fiennes, as always, is terribly underused.

C+
1210.jpg

Like the last film, the final fight was an insult. Mel Gibson deserved better.

Divergent. I think I'm at least twenty years over the target audience age. So I vote a load of shit, if you're a teenager you'd probably give it 7 out of ten or something.

2742c77eb7a2ffd59e47d396a44d14d9.jpg

I liked this one so much better than I liked the first one. I wasn't that excited to watch it initially, because I didn't care for the first one. I thought it had way too much crappy teen love drama and far too little fighting, but they got the balance just right with this one. It captured my interest from the very beginning and held my attention the whole duration of the film. The characters were great, the acting was fun to watch and the fights were wonderfully orchestrated and there were plenty of them. 10/10.

118305_gal.jpg

This one had me mesmerized. The story is like 3 good film genres rolled in to one, and each one of them was beautifully executed. There's mystery, suspense, action, humor, horror, everything. Viva pointed out while we were watching it that it was made exactly like a Carpenter film, and it really was. The soundtrack was minimalistic and really set a great tone for the whole thing. If I could rate this higher than 10, I would. It's really nice to see Michael C. Hall make a great movie after Dexter, and really show off his acting chops. I can't wait to buy this on blu-ray and watch it again. 10000000/10

xmen-days.png

X-men is my favorite superhero franchise, and this installation didn't let me down. I loved the mix of the old and new cast. Plus, Perter Dinklage played a great antagonist. The acting was great, as was the story. Evan Peters as Quicksilver stole the show for me. Another one that I can't wait to buy on blu-ray and watch for the 3rd time. 10/10

Sex And The City 2: A 146 minute Al Qaeda recruitment video. 1/10

Under The Skin. Scarlett Johansson stars in what seems a awful lot like a student made movie that got lucky. The plot, such as it is, is entirely underwhelming. A deeply boring movie. 3/10

Sex And The City 2: A 146 minute Al Qaeda recruitment video. 1/10

Under The Skin. Scarlett Johansson stars in what seems a awful lot like a student made movie that got lucky. The plot, such as it is, is entirely underwhelming. A deeply boring movie. 3/10

agree on the first one you listed, I had to sit through it a while back to here in China :cool:
just wonder though Johnny, I notice that you rate most films extremely low, and I can see your point :o
however, I find that unless a film is really bad, I can still enjoy watching it :) hence why I give most films "good grades"
its not they are actully high quality, but I guess I grade on a curve, just like at work :p
anyways, yesterday I watched:
c_zps25823e5e.jpg

it wasn't very good, badly directed with a shit script, the actors could not save this one, so I give it a D

agree on the first one you listed, I had to sit through it a while back to here in China :cool:
just wonder though Johnny, I notice that you rate most films extremely low, and I can see your point :o
however, I find that unless a film is really bad, I can still enjoy watching it :) hence why I give most films "good grades"
its not they are actully high quality, but I guess I grade on a curve, just like at work :p
anyways, yesterday I watched:
c_zps25823e5e.jpg

it wasn't very good, badly directed with a shit script, the actors could not save this one, so I give it a D

I get to see a lot of extremely derivative found footage horror / ghost movies which probably drags my average score down. In the age of downloading there are many pretty awful films which inexplicably score quite well on IMDb and reddit, but don't necessarily deserve half of the score.

Under the Skin is quite a good example of a movie which, being independent and arty is marked, in my opinion, on what it might have been, rather than what it was. That isn't to say low budget films suffer from this exclusively. Prometheus still scores over seven on IMDb, and although it looked great I can never fully forgive a film in which the protagonist takes a grand piano on a first contact mission and the alien vessel is controlled using a hard boiled egg and a kazoo.

Oculus was a nice surprise for me, as was Edge of Tomorrow. I thought I was really generous with Sex And The City 2. I liked the Irish nanny.

Prisoners (2013)

Hugh Jackman stars as the father of an abducted girl. A touch of the Mystic Rivers, but terrific. 9/10

I get to see a lot of extremely derivative found footage horror / ghost movies which probably drags my average score down. In the age of downloading there are many pretty awful films which inexplicably score quite well on IMDb and reddit, but don't necessarily deserve half of the score.

Under the Skin is quite a good example of a movie which, being independent and arty is marked, in my opinion, on what it might have been, rather than what it was. That isn't to say low budget films suffer from this exclusively. Prometheus still scores over seven on IMDb, and although it looked great I can never fully forgive a film in which the protagonist takes a grand piano on a first contact mission and the alien vessel is controlled using a hard boiled egg and a kazoo.

Oculus was a nice surprise for me, as was Edge of Tomorrow. I thought I was really generous with Sex And The City 2. I liked the Irish nanny.
so like you have to see a lot of found footage horror / ghost movies :eek: if so, I'm sorry :o
can only think of a few that did not suck and even I cannot remember the names of those few :confused:
but yeah, I wanna see Edge of Tomorrow, its still playing here in China, I was going to go see it on my one day off, but now I have to move instead :cool:
anyways, yesterday? I watched:
THE+LAST+DAYS+ON+MARS.jpg

about half way through it I realized I had already seen it, but just must have been :squiffy: when I did so and had forgotten it
its very derivative of other things of course, but the actors in it are great and the dialogue is pretty good, so I still watched the whole thing again
probably helped that there was massive thunder and lighting storm going on outside as I watched it :popcorn:
so I give it a B-

Last edited:
Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom