tell us about the last Film you saw

http://www.swefilmer.com/hateship-loveship-2013/hateship-loveship-2013-video_967424c0d.html

Hateship Loveship

Kristen Wiig is not just amazingly crazy when on SNL she is also a perfect actress when it comes to playing the weird characters like in this lovely drama where she gets a new job as a nanny. She plays a complicated figure who obviously lusts for love and sex and the actions of two teen girls set things into motion.

A great cast and Nick Nolte has never looked in better shape and is perfect as the old man in this one. This film grew on me along the way and despite being a screenplay it was decent. I would have liked so see "the swedish guy" who supplied two of the characters with drugs.

http://www.swefilmer.com/he-ovat-paenneet-2014/they-have-escaped-2014-video_0cf81b6a5.html

They Have Escaped

This finnish drama about two teens at a treatment center must be something completely different to what we have seen from the country before. The teens escape the center and ends up going through various adventures. I felt interested in the characters throughout and finnish women are of course not only very good looking but also full of emotions that for me is very attractive.

American_Sniper_poster.jpg

politics aside :rolleyes: I liked it, so I give it an A-
however, I do think that by presenting such a narrow view of the Iraq war, I assume in order to humanise its main character better :straightface:
it has given many another false view of the war, this is a common problem of most "American war movies" I believe :o
an important part of where you fight are the non-combatants of that country, how you deal with them and they must deal with us :paranoid:
I mean, I get not humanising the enemy too much in a war movie, but by minumising all those in between you only add to what people back home don't get about wars for so many of our Vets
the older I get, the more I realize how I lucky was to have only :crazy: have killed soldiers that I was under the impression were trying to kill me at the time*
men like my father, step father, this film's main character and so many others did not have this luxury :confused:
I have come to the conclusion that this added burden plays a special part in the kind of PTSD that many suffer from when they come back home :(

*=Gulf War(90-91)

Chef (2014) John Favreau stars in a comedy-drama with is neither all that funny or particularly dramatic. Strange but impressive co-stars/cameos though, such as Dustin Hoffman, Iron Man and the Black Widow. Plus the Colombian woman from Modern Family as the ex-wife. Caramba!

Boyhood (2014) Twelve years, nothing really happens, a bit like most peoples' last twelve years. As a piece of work its laudable, as a thrilling cinema experience its lacking. It is interesting to see attitudes change in real time though. That is to say the views expressed on Bush Junior and Iraq, for example, as they happened when the film was being shot all those years ago. The acting amongst some of the younger members of the cast deteriorates about halfway through, I thought, as their acting abilities developed, or not, as they grew. Plus some of the haircuts should carry a health warning.

Still Alice (2014), known here in the UK as "I Have Alzheimers". Julianne Moore stars as a woman with a disease I won't mention because of spoilers. It's OK, but more of a TV movie than a potential Oscar challenger I would have thought.

The Best Of Me (2014) God, this was dire, and the ending was telegraphed a mile away. All concerned should be whipped in the town square.

The Imitation Game (2014) Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing, the man instrumental in the cracking of the Enigma machine. This was my favourite of the Oscar nominated movies I've seen recently. It's a great story anyway, and although some of the Turing family have denied he was disliked by his fellows it is well worth watching. I think it's certainly better than the Hawking movie...

The Theory of Everything (2014) which, like most biopics suffers from that clunky exposition necessary but irritating in such movies. Great if you know nothing about his life, but basic, justifiably, if you do.

Birdman (2014) Keaton is brilliant in this and I hope will get best actor. The movie itself is pretty good. I'm not convinced it's been a bumper year for Oscar movies. I've not been greatly absorbed by any I have seen. Birdman was the most interesting of them all, but the Turing one was the more entertaining.

Last edited:
hmm, i didnt know the imitation game was based on turigs life, ive only heard the name mentioned. thats really interesting as i just read a very neat article on him and his life probably prompted by the movies success but thats pretty cool. ill need to see that now

anybody seen the kurt cobain bio yet. sounds really good from what ive read and it reminds people that the pressure of the male stereotype was still very alive then and how it was not fun for anyone who didnt want to fit into it. its called montage of heck and its not about nirvana but rather a psychological insight into his mind from his own writtings, 4000 pages, and from over 200 hours of home video.

"Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
Nearly a decade in the making, Brett Morgan's Montage of Heck sheds light on Kurt Cobain’s psyche, utilizing diary entries, home movies, and interviews with Cobain’s mother, father, sister, and first girlfriend, Tracy Marander. Montage of Heck is surprisingly focused on the psychology of Kurt Cobain and as such, it doesn’t offer much on the genesis of Nirvana’s music in the mainstream; rather, Cobain's story is told through intimate, graphic insights that come from the inner-workings of his own mind—including 200 hours of unreleased audio and 4000 pages of Cobain’s own writing.
The film explores the socio-political underpinnings of the American underground through the lens of Cobain’s impulsive creativity, which often reads like an indictment. Many of his writings concern the pressure to be a "manly" man in a patriarchal society to which he conscientiously objected; he makes a cartoon called "Mr. Mustache" whose protagonist suggests that to be "100% American male" is to be complicit in the degradation of women. Cobain, in later writings, reveals that Courtney Love was the first person who "taught [him] that it is ok to be a man in a man's world." He spits in the camera and plays up his own histrionics in live footage, while the diaries mirror his unraveling. It's a disturbing portrayal of Cobain, one where we see him as a conscientious objector caught in the machinery of what he considered to be facile entertainment.
Montage of Heck is also defined by disturbia, including a diary passage about how Cobain never had any friends as a teenager ("I hate everyone because they are so phony"), which leads to a discussion of how he didn't want to kill himself before knowing what it's like to get laid. He tried to have sex with a girl who his cohorts labelled "retarded"—a girl that Cobain says had only ever had sex with her cousin—and though he was too "grossed out" to go through with it, the event led to such personal trauma and social alienation that he tried unsuccessfully to kill himself.
Cobain encountered punk rock shortly thereafter, and the discovery imbues his writing with a passion that wasn’t there before. The documentary makes clear that Nirvana gave Cobain a sense of purpose and an outlet for nihilism and artistic inclination. A strange emphasis on his later domestic life dominates the tail end of the film—Courtney Love and a young Francis Bean figure prominently, Dave Grohl is conspicuously absent. Also, Cobain’s first suicide attempt in Rome is played here as an act of passion rather than the consummation of his depressive state that the rest of the film rendered with striking clarity. Montage of Heck breathes new humanity into our well-exploited collective memory of the man."

Two films that made me think of our very own forum member Jehne Lunden:

http://www.swefilmer.com/road-to-paloma-2014/road-to-paloma-2014-video_f733edd6c.html

Road to Paloma

I loved this film despite it probably not being that good to be honest. There is a feeling in it that takes hold of you and the environment of course adds to it. Lisa Bonet is still hot and the native land and theme in this one manages to rescue what would otherwise have been a vary flat film.

http://www.swefilmer.com/obvious-child-2014/obvious-child-2014-video_1343c0177.html

Obvious Child

If Jehne had a younger sister she would be this hot and jewish living in NYC. This is the perfect film to watch on the eve of Valentines as it plays out around that time. A young stand up comedian gets preggers and loses her job. Great comic dialogue in this one that really made me laugh a lot. That type of woman really isn't my type at all normally but this film proves that someone being funny can become cute and even very sexy.

Happy VD to all (VD the Valentines and not the disease, ah well)

http://www.swefilmer.com/hector-and...earch-for-happiness-2014-video_548c25ea8.html

Hector and the Search for Happiness

A simply fantastic film about Hector, a London psychiatrist, and his studies into what makes people happy in life. This film came very close on a personal level in regards to my life experiences and my experience of other people and their lives. I can honestly say that nothing on film has ever come this close to say something about my life now and before. If you do not learn something from this film you are a hopeless case.

watched this streaming tonight alongside a director/producer chatroom thing.

absolutely nsfw.

really liked it. if you can get past the cock slashing, hammer attacks, explosive shit and bleak relentless murder then it's definitely worth a watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
watched this streaming tonight alongside a director/producer chatroom thing.

absolutely nsfw.

really liked it. if you can get past the cock slashing, hammer attacks, explosive shit and bleak relentless murder then it's definitely worth a watch.

WTF? :lbf:

Does anything else happen apart from the cock slashing, hammer attacks, explosive shit and bleak relentless murder?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, i didnt know the imitation game was based on turigs life, ive only heard the name mentioned. thats really interesting as i just read a very neat article on him and his life probably prompted by the movies success but thats pretty cool. ill need to see that now

Breaking the code" is a TV movie worth a watch, also about Turing, played by Derek Jacobi.

Breaking the code" is a TV movie worth a watch, also about Turing, played by Derek Jacobi.

cool, after reading about the man i really admire his apparent conviction and fortitude as well as his intelligence and creativity. also im learning, his sensitivity. wonder if i can find it on either amazon or netflix cause otherwise ill have to get someone to download it for me and send it

http://www.swefilmer.com/kraftidioten-2014/kraftidioten-2014-video_2d6063aa2.html

In Order of Disappearance

This is about a swedish man working in Norway as a snow plower who after the death of his son seeks revenge for it which involves dealing with really hardened mob members from Norway and Serbia. Stellan Skarsgard is very convincing as the dad who seeks revenge but the actor that caught my eye was norwegian actor Pal Sverre Hagen. He plays the norwegian mob leader living in a very expensive home with weird furniture and his psychopathic tendencies come to full bloom as he goes from calm and collected killer to a crying baby in a matter of seconds. There are scenes and dialogue that really made me laugh and especially the one with the two serbian mob members in a car watching people picking up dog poo and questioning it and they also question people who share kids despite being divorced or just not living together. "What is it with these people" they say as they show their contempt for western customs and traditions that they would never be a part of themselves which was an eye opener for me personally. What we consider being an act of kindness and tolerance may in fact be the end of our own personal pride.

http://www.swefilmer.com/racing-hearts-2014/flying-home-2014-video_5676dd35f.html

Flying Home

This is a romantic film but what makes it different is that the main male character is not likeable or good hearted at all. Normally romantic films portray a romantic man as a saint who helps kids and send cookies to his mother but this NYC businessman is all about money. He gets the chance to score a big account and has to travel to Belgium and meets a girl which complicates the reason for his visit. This film has a historical background and involves pigeons and their involvement during world war 2 and you may look at pigeons differently after this film.

http://www.swefilmer.com/a-good-marriage-2014/tills-doden-skiljer-oss-at-2014-video_e9abe2caa.html

Stephen King's a Good Marriage

Been a while since I watched a Stephen King inspired film and this was very good. What do you do when you find out that your husband is in fact a serial killer?
This is the most grown up film based on King's work and very well done and Anthony LaPaglia really fits into the serial killer role well here. Not a film that is filled with action and murder and blood but as always with King it is about the psychology behind peoples actions and choices in life.

660x330xblack-and-white-main-review-660x330_jpg_pagespeed_ic_hRHVJu9gI-.jpg

"Black or White" (2015) A wonderful movie.

* Has lots of surprising twists & turns. A great screenplay which is thoughtful, genuine, and looks at life with a wide, big picture lense. This screenplay is fifty times better than the narrow minded, tunnel visioned, crass, overrated piece of crap that serves as the screenplay for "Birdman."

* Every single acting performance is well done in this film. It's rare to find that in a film. Everyone does a wonderful job. To be honest, I've never really cared for Kevin Costner's acting, but he's beautiful in this. That's the only way I can describe his genuine performance, a performance bringing a real human being to life, it's beautiful.

* There are a few holes in the movie but this didn't detract from my pleasurable viewing experience. The three people I went with felt the same as I did about this, and they also all loved it. There are no Emma Stones ( from "Birdman") in this film, the sort of actors who simply detract from a pleasurable viewing experience, and I truly thank God for that. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest mark, I have to give this film a ten. It's a home-run all the way.

Last edited:
Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom