tell us about the last Film you saw

Big_Fan.jpg

just watched this earlier today.

from imdb:

"A hard-core New York Giants fan struggles to deal with the consequences when he is beaten up by his favorite player."

i really liked this. i think it speaks a lot about intense fandom and the effect it can have on a person's life. i definitely saw some parallels between this and the recent morrissey/david t situation.

patton oswalt is great in this. proves that he could definitely do more dramatic stuff if he wanted to.

Wetlands

http://www.swefilmer.com/feuchtgebiete-2013/vatmarker-2013-video_c7d6e73fe.html

This must be one of the most provocating and filthy films ever made. A german girl into kinky sex questions what a woman should be and how clean a woman should be. This film could very well be the best alternative to any diet out there as it must turn most people off from eating and drinking and the pizza scene is perhaps the most disgusting thing you have ever seen, you're not likely to want a slice after watching this.

I think even the most dedicated feminist will be a bit provoked by this film. I liked the music in it and during a brief moment in it I got a vibe from the old german cult classic "We children from Bahnhof Zoo". I have definitely never seen anything like this before.

Just left a screening of THIEVES LIKE US

As if we needed more proof that Robert Altman was one of the greatest American directors. To ever leave Kansas.

Altman, Badass. Time to drink....

tumblr_mm3j6oWFqV1qgp6fto1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Lucy. It was extremely entertaining, not to be confused with cinematically amazing.

Something must break

http://www.swefilmer.com/nanting-ma...ing-maste-ga-sonder-2014-video_ce3dbefa6.html

"A love story between two young men where one is the androgynous Sebastian and one is Andreas who is not gay. They form a unity. It' s them against the polished Swedish Ikeasociety. They dream about escaping boredom and the risk of becoming what everyone else is. And then there is Ellie- the superwoman growing inside of Sebastian who Andreas loves and fears. This is the summer when everything happens and both of them will choose paths that will determinate their lives forever. It's a battle for love where Sebastian finally has to realise that he has to let Ellie loose, find the strength within himself and not let his happiness depend on someone else."

I was kind of blown away by this film and really impressed by the actors though the androgynous Sebastian is in fact played by a female which was a disappointment as I found that out after the film but for a debut film she is a really impressive actress. Great music in it as well and this low budget production manages to create an atmosphere that many expensive films fail to do.

Something must break

http://www.swefilmer.com/nanting-ma...ing-maste-ga-sonder-2014-video_ce3dbefa6.html

"A love story between two young men where one is the androgynous Sebastian and one is Andreas who is not gay. They form a unity. It' s them against the polished Swedish Ikeasociety. They dream about escaping boredom and the risk of becoming what everyone else is. And then there is Ellie- the superwoman growing inside of Sebastian who Andreas loves and fears. This is the summer when everything happens and both of them will choose paths that will determinate their lives forever. It's a battle for love where Sebastian finally has to realise that he has to let Ellie loose, find the strength within himself and not let his happiness depend on someone else."

I was kind of blown away by this film and really impressed by the actors though the androgynous Sebastian is in fact played by a female which was a disappointment as I found that out after the film but for a debut film she is a really impressive actress. Great music in it as well and this low budget production manages to create an atmosphere that many expensive films fail to do.

Correction:

Despite extensive research I still do not know if the actor playing Sebastian is male of female. A scene in the film suggest it is indeed a man but I am not sure, let us stick to androgynous.

Something must break

I wanna see this.

View attachment 30768
Just OK.
View attachment 30769
even Douglas was good. Very recommended.
View attachment 30770
Shrugged shoulders...alright i suppose.

Since this last post:

The Lone Ranger (2013)

The Lone Ranger is not great, but reasonably entertaining. Quite funny in places but is over long.

Only God Forgives (2013)

Do think if you edited down the film to the dialogue and violent scenes this film would last about twenty minutes.

Elysium (2013)
This hits on the same themes as did Neill Blomkamp’s previous film District 9. Illegal immigrant and intolerance are key issues used in this science fiction film. Entertaining enough though but not really surprising story telling.

The Wolverine (2013)
This was so much better then the mess called X-men Origins: Wolverine.

The Hunt (2012)
It was lovely to watch after several weeks of watching Hollywood sci-fi and superhero hullabaloo on DVD. Maybe ‘lovely’ isn’t the word but this was a exceptional crafted film which wasn’t too gratuitous in it’s subject matter. The performances of Mads Mikkelsen and the little Annika Wedderkopp are remarkable as they portray the innocence of characters who get caught up in lies and small town hysteria.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
Once again, Matthew McConaughey and his proud Texan accent excel in a film which seems to be tailored man for him

Prisoners (2013)

Fairly harrowing viewing, if a little over long in my opinion. Hugh Jackman once again has facial hair and gets angry (not like he hasn’t done that before) and Jake Gyllenhaal wears the same shirts as Elementary’s Sherlock Holmes!

Lovelace (2013)
Never seen the actually infamous Deep Throat and I’m not really interested either. I’ve seen the documentary Inside Deep Throat and that is an interesting account. It always seems like there are more losers then winners in this ‘industry’.

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Never a one for Thor in the comics unless he is in the Avengers or whacking the shit out of The Hulk (or the other way around). This was fairly entertaining though much like the 1st film.

Captain Phillips (2013)
I like Greengrass as a director but i wasn’t so impressed this Captain Philips. Hanks does the role like he also does nothing really that special here. I can’t say i felt any empathy to the pirates and how they ‘have’ to do this to live.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
This was like the 1st film which i found just as enjoyable. This sequel was over long though. I like the brutality of the story without it being explicit in its imagery.

Smashing Time (1967)
Came by chance on youtube; this isn’t available in the UK to rent or buy. Rita Tushingham is suitable to the slapstick and Lynn Redgrave seems to be playing up her Georgy Girl role.

How I Live Now (2013)
Quite a morose tale but war isn’t fun really is it? Miserable American teenage girl goes to stay with her eccentric British family. All skipping along like a Enid Blyton Famous Five adventure in the woods until, what looks like a nuclear bomb goes off and the UK is under martial law.

Deep End (1970)

Odd film, you can tell it was directed by someone from outside the UK even though it is supposedly set in London (most of it was filmed in Hamburg). Some strange characters inhabit the public baths.

The Fifth Estate (2013)

I watch films, movies etc. for entertainment but this was dull. I don’t know how you can make a piece of ‘entertainment’ when basically its about people sitting behind a PC monitor

The Stone Roses: Made of Stone (2013)

More enjoyable than I contemplated. I thought it was well edited and it did remind me of The Who “The kids are Alright”. It was better then Meadow’s Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee which put a wee dampener on his work for me.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Last time i saw this was on video. So, I had to see it at the cinema in its digital restoration at the BFI.
The vivid red colours of the iconic red jacket, that nobody seems to get right in copying, never seemed brighter! Natalie Wood (and Dennis Hopper) seems so young and all the lead characters are very dysfunctional, unhappy in their middleclass bubble because of, mainly poor relationships with their fathers or absent mothers. A wonderful film.

Plein Soleil (1960)
Alain Delon’s take on the odd anti heroTom Ripley is rather good …can you call Tom Ripley an anti hero??? Not sure. His good looks (Alain Delon) act well with the cold character.

Nebraska (2013)

This film is worth watching (again) for the wife Kate Grant played by June Squibb. She steals the show and has the funniest dialogue.

The Girl on a Motorcycle (1968)
it goes all psychedelic when Faithful is in the nude…i wonder if Mick Jagger had that problem? She spends her time superimposed on a motorbike grinning like the Cheshire cat taking to herself. Not great!

The Great Gatsby (2013)
i am in the category that modern take on flapper & Jazz 20s music was rather annoying but i can understand the choice, to give it a slighty modern take.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
I remember a long time ago, picking up a comic book in a odd L shaped corner shop. It was my monthly run to buy comics, normally The X Men and the Fantastic Four. This book was fantastic and shocking with what happen to the best loved characters in marvel; now…decades later the story has been adapted for the cinema.

Take Shelter (2011)

My only problem is that i can’t see Michael Shannon as a working class ‘every man’ while he is good at the more intense trouble person sequences.

Limitless (2011)
Like the pill he takes, it is really flawed.

Cold Comes the Night (2013)

With a title that sounds like a 50s b movie, this was better then expected. It wasn’t over long or complicated in it’s story telling. Alice Eve looks surprisingly plain and Bryan Cranston (obviously filmed at the same time as season 5 of Breaking Bad) has a dodgy Russian accent.

Maleficent (2014) Generally surprised how much i enjoyed this.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) Not the most exciting or joyous piece of film making but had the usual snippets of Coen Brother humour.

Carrie (2013) I have to admit that i am not a big fan of the original movie. I’ve seen it and enjoyed but i can’t its one of my favorites. Obviously they are going to remake a story like this for a newer audience.

American Hustle (2013) More entertaining then I’ve been lead to believe.

Her (2013) Joaquin Phoenix plays a boring man with a dull moustache who falls in love with a PC and talks dirty with her. The characters involved with this ‘artificially intelligent operating system’ make you wish for Skynet! Then bloody Amy Adams turns up.

Filth (2013) Never been a fan of McAvoy smarmy charm but he won me over with playing Bruce Roberston. Exultingly amusing and depressing in equal measures.

Don Jon (2013) Mildly entertaining, like a more friendly version of Shame. Worth watching for Tony Danza.

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013) It is fairly good for what it is. I am not to fussed with Rooney Mara but i do like Casey.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)I’ll be cheeky and say this is a remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes, with more then one truck and a mounted machine gun

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) Leonardo DiCaprio works well with Scorsese, it has to be said.

Kill Your Darlings (2013) Films about the beat generation seem to drag.

Westworld (1973) Set up the VCR: watched West World as there is all this talk of a television show being made. I haven’t seen this in many a year. Here is an observation, that the young James Brolin looks a wee bit like Christian Bale (or would that be the other way round?).

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
The narrative explores lots of themes within its flashbacks and is a very well crafted film.Its all rather tragic.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) Set up the old video player again. Even though this is kosher copy, the quality after all these years is a bit ropey. I still remember when it was banned! Saw it at the cinema though when it was the most hyped film of the period.

Under the Skin (2013) This was like an arty PIFs or PSAs about not accepting lifts from pretty ladies, going to the beach when the water is really choppy and walking alone in National Parks.

Since this last post:

The Lone Ranger (2013)

The Lone Ranger is not great, but reasonably entertaining. Quite funny in places but is over long.

Only God Forgives (2013)

Do think if you edited down the film to the dialogue and violent scenes this film would last about twenty minutes.

Elysium (2013)
This hits on the same themes as did Neill Blomkamp’s previous film District 9. Illegal immigrant and intolerance are key issues used in this science fiction film. Entertaining enough though but not really surprising story telling.

The Wolverine (2013)
This was so much better then the mess called X-men Origins: Wolverine.

The Hunt (2012)
It was lovely to watch after several weeks of watching Hollywood sci-fi and superhero hullabaloo on DVD. Maybe ‘lovely’ isn’t the word but this was a exceptional crafted film which wasn’t too gratuitous in it’s subject matter. The performances of Mads Mikkelsen and the little Annika Wedderkopp are remarkable as they portray the innocence of characters who get caught up in lies and small town hysteria.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
Once again, Matthew McConaughey and his proud Texan accent excel in a film which seems to be tailored man for him

Prisoners (2013)

Fairly harrowing viewing, if a little over long in my opinion. Hugh Jackman once again has facial hair and gets angry (not like he hasn’t done that before) and Jake Gyllenhaal wears the same shirts as Elementary’s Sherlock Holmes!

Lovelace (2013)
Never seen the actually infamous Deep Throat and I’m not really interested either. I’ve seen the documentary Inside Deep Throat and that is an interesting account. It always seems like there are more losers then winners in this ‘industry’.

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Never a one for Thor in the comics unless he is in the Avengers or whacking the shit out of The Hulk (or the other way around). This was fairly entertaining though much like the 1st film.

Captain Phillips (2013)
I like Greengrass as a director but i wasn’t so impressed this Captain Philips. Hanks does the role like he also does nothing really that special here. I can’t say i felt any empathy to the pirates and how they ‘have’ to do this to live.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
This was like the 1st film which i found just as enjoyable. This sequel was over long though. I like the brutality of the story without it being explicit in its imagery.

Smashing Time (1967)
Came by chance on youtube; this isn’t available in the UK to rent or buy. Rita Tushingham is suitable to the slapstick and Lynn Redgrave seems to be playing up her Georgy Girl role.

How I Live Now (2013)
Quite a morose tale but war isn’t fun really is it? Miserable American teenage girl goes to stay with her eccentric British family. All skipping along like a Enid Blyton Famous Five adventure in the woods until, what looks like a nuclear bomb goes off and the UK is under martial law.

Deep End (1970)

Odd film, you can tell it was directed by someone from outside the UK even though it is supposedly set in London (most of it was filmed in Hamburg). Some strange characters inhabit the public baths.

The Fifth Estate (2013)

I watch films, movies etc. for entertainment but this was dull. I don’t know how you can make a piece of ‘entertainment’ when basically its about people sitting behind a PC monitor

The Stone Roses: Made of Stone (2013)

More enjoyable than I contemplated. I thought it was well edited and it did remind me of The Who “The kids are Alright”. It was better then Meadow’s Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee which put a wee dampener on his work for me.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Last time i saw this was on video. So, I had to see it at the cinema in its digital restoration at the BFI.
The vivid red colours of the iconic red jacket, that nobody seems to get right in copying, never seemed brighter! Natalie Wood (and Dennis Hopper) seems so young and all the lead characters are very dysfunctional, unhappy in their middleclass bubble because of, mainly poor relationships with their fathers or absent mothers. A wonderful film.

Plein Soleil (1960)
Alain Delon’s take on the odd anti heroTom Ripley is rather good …can you call Tom Ripley an anti hero??? Not sure. His good looks (Alain Delon) act well with the cold character.

Nebraska (2013)

This film is worth watching (again) for the wife Kate Grant played by June Squibb. She steals the show and has the funniest dialogue.

The Girl on a Motorcycle (1968)
it goes all psychedelic when Faithful is in the nude…i wonder if Mick Jagger had that problem? She spends her time superimposed on a motorbike grinning like the Cheshire cat taking to herself. Not great!

The Great Gatsby (2013)
i am in the category that modern take on flapper & Jazz 20s music was rather annoying but i can understand the choice, to give it a slighty modern take.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
I remember a long time ago, picking up a comic book in a odd L shaped corner shop. It was my monthly run to buy comics, normally The X Men and the Fantastic Four. This book was fantastic and shocking with what happen to the best loved characters in marvel; now…decades later the story has been adapted for the cinema.

Take Shelter (2011)

My only problem is that i can’t see Michael Shannon as a working class ‘every man’ while he is good at the more intense trouble person sequences.

Limitless (2011)
Like the pill he takes, it is really flawed.

Cold Comes the Night (2013)

With a title that sounds like a 50s b movie, this was better then expected. It wasn’t over long or complicated in it’s story telling. Alice Eve looks surprisingly plain and Bryan Cranston (obviously filmed at the same time as season 5 of Breaking Bad) has a dodgy Russian accent.

Maleficent (2014) Generally surprised how much i enjoyed this.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) Not the most exciting or joyous piece of film making but had the usual snippets of Coen Brother humour.

Carrie (2013) I have to admit that i am not a big fan of the original movie. I’ve seen it and enjoyed but i can’t its one of my favorites. Obviously they are going to remake a story like this for a newer audience.

American Hustle (2013) More entertaining then I’ve been lead to believe.

Her (2013) Joaquin Phoenix plays a boring man with a dull moustache who falls in love with a PC and talks dirty with her. The characters involved with this ‘artificially intelligent operating system’ make you wish for Skynet! Then bloody Amy Adams turns up.

Filth (2013) Never been a fan of McAvoy smarmy charm but he won me over with playing Bruce Roberston. Exultingly amusing and depressing in equal measures.

Don Jon (2013) Mildly entertaining, like a more friendly version of Shame. Worth watching for Tony Danza.

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013) It is fairly good for what it is. I am not to fussed with Rooney Mara but i do like Casey.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)I’ll be cheeky and say this is a remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes, with more then one truck and a mounted machine gun

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) Leonardo DiCaprio works well with Scorsese, it has to be said.

Kill Your Darlings (2013) Films about the beat generation seem to drag.

Westworld (1973) Set up the VCR: watched West World as there is all this talk of a television show being made. I haven’t seen this in many a year. Here is an observation, that the young James Brolin looks a wee bit like Christian Bale (or would that be the other way round?).

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
The narrative explores lots of themes within its flashbacks and is a very well crafted film.Its all rather tragic.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) Set up the old video player again. Even though this is kosher copy, the quality after all these years is a bit ropey. I still remember when it was banned! Saw it at the cinema though when it was the most hyped film of the period.

Under the Skin (2013) This was like an arty PIFs or PSAs about not accepting lifts from pretty ladies, going to the beach when the water is really choppy and walking alone in National Parks.

Dayuuuum, Corny. Gifs and movies on the couch are your thing.

Guardians of the Galaxy

It was fun. As the first movie I went to the theaters to see in 2014, (Some of you know that I have been on the injured reserve list for the majority of the year, most did not) it lived up to the hype and was an all around fun sci fi action adventure film like Star Wars was.

Hello all! Dave Jay here!!

sorry about the "Anonymous" thangg, but getting on here under my own username is a bit of a nightmare lately.... anyways, onto :-

Mildred Pierce. 2011.

starring Kate Winslet, Guy Pearce.

Not so much a movie, more a five-part mini-series from HBO...
I watched the first 3 parts with absolutely no idea of the storyline ( I did, however, know it was based on an old Hollywood Blockbuster of the same name though). and, after 3 parts, I am still none thwe wiser as to what it is actually about, apart from Kate Winslet gets her Baps out ( Twice, so far...) Guy Pearce shows his arse once ( so far...), Mildred opens a chicken restaurant, her daughter Veda is a bit of bitch ( with amazingly, the apparent use of time travel, as her age seems to fluctuate from 12 to 23-ish alarmingly back and forth during this move/production, for no apparent reason....and she gets her Butt spanked...several times). Guy Pearce is quite amazing as a sort of Lounge-lizard loafer type character, and the rest of the cast are......ermmm...did I mention that Kate gets 'em out??? after 3 VERY Overlong episodes ( Think tedious long shots of cars driving for what seems like hours...) I CAN wait to see the rest. To say the least, truly disappointed.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom