tell us about the last Film you saw

Since this last post:

The Lone Ranger (2013)

The Lone Ranger is not great, but reasonably entertaining. Quite funny in places but is over long.

Only God Forgives (2013)

Do think if you edited down the film to the dialogue and violent scenes this film would last about twenty minutes.

Elysium (2013)
This hits on the same themes as did Neill Blomkamp’s previous film District 9. Illegal immigrant and intolerance are key issues used in this science fiction film. Entertaining enough though but not really surprising story telling.

The Wolverine (2013)
This was so much better then the mess called X-men Origins: Wolverine.

The Hunt (2012)
It was lovely to watch after several weeks of watching Hollywood sci-fi and superhero hullabaloo on DVD. Maybe ‘lovely’ isn’t the word but this was a exceptional crafted film which wasn’t too gratuitous in it’s subject matter. The performances of Mads Mikkelsen and the little Annika Wedderkopp are remarkable as they portray the innocence of characters who get caught up in lies and small town hysteria.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
Once again, Matthew McConaughey and his proud Texan accent excel in a film which seems to be tailored man for him

Prisoners (2013)

Fairly harrowing viewing, if a little over long in my opinion. Hugh Jackman once again has facial hair and gets angry (not like he hasn’t done that before) and Jake Gyllenhaal wears the same shirts as Elementary’s Sherlock Holmes!

Lovelace (2013)
Never seen the actually infamous Deep Throat and I’m not really interested either. I’ve seen the documentary Inside Deep Throat and that is an interesting account. It always seems like there are more losers then winners in this ‘industry’.

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Never a one for Thor in the comics unless he is in the Avengers or whacking the shit out of The Hulk (or the other way around). This was fairly entertaining though much like the 1st film.

Captain Phillips (2013)
I like Greengrass as a director but i wasn’t so impressed this Captain Philips. Hanks does the role like he also does nothing really that special here. I can’t say i felt any empathy to the pirates and how they ‘have’ to do this to live.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
This was like the 1st film which i found just as enjoyable. This sequel was over long though. I like the brutality of the story without it being explicit in its imagery.

Smashing Time (1967)
Came by chance on youtube; this isn’t available in the UK to rent or buy. Rita Tushingham is suitable to the slapstick and Lynn Redgrave seems to be playing up her Georgy Girl role.

How I Live Now (2013)
Quite a morose tale but war isn’t fun really is it? Miserable American teenage girl goes to stay with her eccentric British family. All skipping along like a Enid Blyton Famous Five adventure in the woods until, what looks like a nuclear bomb goes off and the UK is under martial law.

Deep End (1970)

Odd film, you can tell it was directed by someone from outside the UK even though it is supposedly set in London (most of it was filmed in Hamburg). Some strange characters inhabit the public baths.

The Fifth Estate (2013)

I watch films, movies etc. for entertainment but this was dull. I don’t know how you can make a piece of ‘entertainment’ when basically its about people sitting behind a PC monitor

The Stone Roses: Made of Stone (2013)

More enjoyable than I contemplated. I thought it was well edited and it did remind me of The Who “The kids are Alright”. It was better then Meadow’s Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee which put a wee dampener on his work for me.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Last time i saw this was on video. So, I had to see it at the cinema in its digital restoration at the BFI.
The vivid red colours of the iconic red jacket, that nobody seems to get right in copying, never seemed brighter! Natalie Wood (and Dennis Hopper) seems so young and all the lead characters are very dysfunctional, unhappy in their middleclass bubble because of, mainly poor relationships with their fathers or absent mothers. A wonderful film.

Plein Soleil (1960)
Alain Delon’s take on the odd anti heroTom Ripley is rather good …can you call Tom Ripley an anti hero??? Not sure. His good looks (Alain Delon) act well with the cold character.

Nebraska (2013)

This film is worth watching (again) for the wife Kate Grant played by June Squibb. She steals the show and has the funniest dialogue.

The Girl on a Motorcycle (1968)
it goes all psychedelic when Faithful is in the nude…i wonder if Mick Jagger had that problem? She spends her time superimposed on a motorbike grinning like the Cheshire cat taking to herself. Not great!

The Great Gatsby (2013)
i am in the category that modern take on flapper & Jazz 20s music was rather annoying but i can understand the choice, to give it a slighty modern take.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
I remember a long time ago, picking up a comic book in a odd L shaped corner shop. It was my monthly run to buy comics, normally The X Men and the Fantastic Four. This book was fantastic and shocking with what happen to the best loved characters in marvel; now…decades later the story has been adapted for the cinema.

Take Shelter (2011)

My only problem is that i can’t see Michael Shannon as a working class ‘every man’ while he is good at the more intense trouble person sequences.

Limitless (2011)
Like the pill he takes, it is really flawed.

Cold Comes the Night (2013)

With a title that sounds like a 50s b movie, this was better then expected. It wasn’t over long or complicated in it’s story telling. Alice Eve looks surprisingly plain and Bryan Cranston (obviously filmed at the same time as season 5 of Breaking Bad) has a dodgy Russian accent.

Maleficent (2014) Generally surprised how much i enjoyed this.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) Not the most exciting or joyous piece of film making but had the usual snippets of Coen Brother humour.

Carrie (2013) I have to admit that i am not a big fan of the original movie. I’ve seen it and enjoyed but i can’t its one of my favorites. Obviously they are going to remake a story like this for a newer audience.

American Hustle (2013) More entertaining then I’ve been lead to believe.

Her (2013) Joaquin Phoenix plays a boring man with a dull moustache who falls in love with a PC and talks dirty with her. The characters involved with this ‘artificially intelligent operating system’ make you wish for Skynet! Then bloody Amy Adams turns up.

Filth (2013) Never been a fan of McAvoy smarmy charm but he won me over with playing Bruce Roberston. Exultingly amusing and depressing in equal measures.

Don Jon (2013) Mildly entertaining, like a more friendly version of Shame. Worth watching for Tony Danza.

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013) It is fairly good for what it is. I am not to fussed with Rooney Mara but i do like Casey.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)I’ll be cheeky and say this is a remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes, with more then one truck and a mounted machine gun

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) Leonardo DiCaprio works well with Scorsese, it has to be said.

Kill Your Darlings (2013) Films about the beat generation seem to drag.

Westworld (1973) Set up the VCR: watched West World as there is all this talk of a television show being made. I haven’t seen this in many a year. Here is an observation, that the young James Brolin looks a wee bit like Christian Bale (or would that be the other way round?).

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
The narrative explores lots of themes within its flashbacks and is a very well crafted film.Its all rather tragic.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) Set up the old video player again. Even though this is kosher copy, the quality after all these years is a bit ropey. I still remember when it was banned! Saw it at the cinema though when it was the most hyped film of the period.

Under the Skin (2013) This was like an arty PIFs or PSAs about not accepting lifts from pretty ladies, going to the beach when the water is really choppy and walking alone in National Parks.

Nice writeup!

Maleficent

I loved this film. Spoiler alert ahead...

The 'true love's kiss' was such a moving, wonderful surprise. A really nice twist to what would have been a predictable story. This is a feel good movie. Jolie should win some award for her brilliant performance. Kid's choice for most loved villain? I don't know. But she should be recognized. I can't imagine anyone else playing that role now that I have seen her in it.

The angriest man in Brooklyn

http://www.swefilmer.com/the-angrie...est-man-in-brooklyn-2014-video_552102405.html

Felt so weird watching Robin Williams, especially the epic opening scene. This was the ultimate send off film for an amazing actor although it wasn't his last one so already looking forward to "Boulevard". I cannot help but suspect that this film somehow influenced Robin to end his life like he did. After being rushed to ER myself earlier this week this film really made an impact on so many levels.

un-lugar-donde-refugiarse_17.jpg

10/10

The Selfish Giant

http://www.swefilmer.com/the-selfish-giant-2013/the-selfish-giant-2013-video_dd8e6123e.html

Ken Loach does it again and takes us to the dark side of the social ladder. Here he dives straight into the traveller community where two kids get involved in the metal recycling business. Impressing new child actors in this one and as always a socially important film that asks a lot of questions.

Village People (Kekkonen Is Coming)

http://www.swefilmer.com/kekkonen-tulee-2013/kekkonen-kommer-2013-video_3140dc69a.html

Based in the far north of Finland this really unusual and weird comedy is seen through the eyes of a young girl. It plays with the finnish legend surrounding their old president Kekkonen who is rumoured to be visiting the remote northern village these people live in. Many laughs and it reminded me of a number of films here and there.

The Other Woman

http://www.swefilmer.com/the-other-woman-2014/the-other-woman-2014-video_754050236.html

This is a really hilarious comedy and very smart in many ways. Impressive acting from the danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who will not have to try too hard to get more roles after this film. Debut film for Nicki Minaj and the character suits her well. In this genre it may be one of the best ones I have seen so far.

"A Single Man"

It reminded me of Moz.

The Fault In Our Stars, about young cancer sufferers. It was a bit soppy for me but my wife loved it. I'd give it 3/10 my wife would probably give it 8 or 9.

Maleficent, ok, Jolie was good in it but I don't think I was the target audience. My kids liked it, 6/10.

Godzilla, difficult to know why it was made, another franchise rolls in, 4/10.

Short Term 12, A feelgood film based on unpleasant things, 8/10.

Children of Men, All of humankind is infertile and going out of existence while one character in the film is pregnant, not bad, 7/10.

Enemy, odd film where a man has another man in his town who's his double. Obviously a film of metaphors but I'm 100% what it was getting at. I think I need to watch this again.

Only Lovers Left Alive, A vampire film but like Enemy the surface of the movie isn't really what it's really all about, 7/10.

Labor Day

http://www.swefilmer.com/labor-day-2013/labor-day-2013-video_a1d0ea665.html

This made into my personal top 10 list as it was great viewing from start to finish. As with most films based on a novel it rarely disappoints. A crime related film without lots of violence and action and incredibly well made and as usual Winslet chooses a film that leaves an impact.

Gimme Shelter

http://www.swefilmer.com/gimme-shelter-2013/gimme-shelter-2013-video_fc6de329b.html

A film based on real events where a girl goes from her abusive upbringing with her mother to get in contact with her father.

X-Men:Days of Future Past.

I watched this dubbed into Russian with Korean subtitles, but the plot isn't exactly taxing. There are some great bits in this for an old Marvel fan like me. The Sentinels, Quicksilver and Magneto, who in the movies is a terrific villain, unlike, in my opinion, Loki and that laughable Doctor Doom from a few years back.

Richard Nixon, my favourite President, also turns up. Hollywood these days seems to see Nixon primarily as a prosthetic nose attached to a random jobbing actor. I sort of imagine the Screen Actors's Guild keeps it in vault in Fort Knox for whenever it is called upon, like the Sword of State is over here.

It's interesting comparing and contrasting the McKellen version of Magneto with the Fassbender version. Fassbender's conveys a core unpleasantness, while McKellen's seems to always be ready with an air kiss and a "Mwah! Dah-ling, I haven't seen you in an absolute age!" Fassbender plays him like a modern dark comic villain, while McKellen has traces of the pantomime dame. Both are great in their own ways, don't get me wrong.

Surprisingly entertaining, so a 7/10.

Identity Thief.

"Mild mannered businessman Sandy Patterson travels from Denver to Florida to confront the deceptively harmless looking woman who has been living it up after stealing Sandy's identity."

I liked this more than I probably should have. Very standard silly comedy, but raised higher by the wonderful Melissa McCarthy, who manages to elicit the sadness of her character while still making you raise a smile and rather like her.

Another 7/10

The Fault in Our Stars

4 out of 4 stars.

Really beautiful and touching story about first love and immortality and meaning of life. Sad but not sappy.

Slavoj Zizek's The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
Not "easy" to sit and watch, but very worthwhile and thought provoking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slavoj Zizek's The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
Not "easy" to sit and watch, but very worthwhile and thought provoking.

If you liked it, check out his previous: THE PERVERTS GUIDE TO CINEMA

Maleficent

I loved this film. Spoiler alert ahead...

The 'true love's kiss' was such a moving, wonderful surprise. A really nice twist to what would have been a predictable story. This is a feel good movie. Jolie should win some award for her brilliant performance. Kid's choice for most loved villain? I don't know. But she should be recognized. I can't imagine anyone else playing that role now that I have seen her in it.

Tell them how great 'Mud' was and who recommended that to ya...!

only_lovers_left_alive_ver5.jpg

Jarmusch does vampires? I was like, I don't know, but then I saw that Tilda Swinton was in it, so I was in :blushing:
she is ageing nicely, dats for sure :love: a lot of talking in it, some of it interesting, so I give it a:
B-

ps:the return to wilderness of much of Detroit is showcased in this film to some effect, would have been more so if not all shot at night :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maleficent: I was shocked how much I liked this. It looked fantastic, and had a nice mittel Europa creepy fairy tale thing going on.

Sex Tape: Cameron Diaz in assorted states of undress and getting seen to in a variety of positions raises this film from a very, very average romcom to a potential multi Oscar winner along the lines of 12 Years A Slave.

TCM had this on last night, thank god for Tivo, Busby and Pre-Code Hollywood:

Gold-Diggers-1933-03.jpg

"Lonely Are The Brave"....1962. Based on the book, "The Brave Cowboy".

I watch this about once a year....it stars Kirk Douglas. The cost of freedom in the "Home of the Brave and the Land of the Free."

They don't make 'em like this anymore. Turns out this is one of Morrissey's favorites as well..

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom