tell us about the last Film you saw

Re: 2nd viewing

It's going to be most of The Ten Commandments which they play every Saturday before Easter for some reason. I might fall asleep though. And I have to shower. And I'm ridiculous amounts of tired. Easter is more exhausting than Christmas.

I need a beer stat.

bad movie day

300-eva-green-poster_zps36450b3b.jpg

liked the first one, enough to put aside how much it played fast and loose with history :rolleyes:
this one not so much :straightface: the only things going for it were the cool looking naval sequences
and the gorgeousity which is Eva Green in those outfits and wielding weapons :horny:
so based on that, I will bump it to:
D+
next up was:
R.I.P.D._Poster.jpg

never liked Ryan Reynolds, but since Jeff Bridges was in it, I gave it a shot, a mistake
however
article-0-1636910D000005DC-292_634x707.jpg

my god, Mary Louise Parker seems almost ageless, 47 when this film was made, really? :confused:
I've adored her since:
Mary-Louise-Parker-Bullets-Over-Broadway-620x339.jpg

"Bullets over Broadway"* :blushing: therefore I raise "R.I.P.D." from an F to a D :o

*=I know her part is small in it, but I really liked it, and have you seen her in "Weeds"? brilliant...

Re: bad movie day

It's always nice when Nic Cage takes a role that reminds you not only that he can act, but is also capable of subtlety and restraint. Great movie.
20654706.jpg

I saw The Quiet Ones at the cinema yesterday- interesting and creepy in parts, but became increasingly overblown towards the end. Still, it made a nice change from the now predictable "family moves into suburban house-weird stuff starts happening-the creepy youngest kid is haunted/possessed-lots of jump scares" formula. That seems to be the go-to model for supernatural horror with modern settings in recent years and it's getting a bit boring. Deviation into a different time period seems to divert that route a little bit, though. I watched The Awakening earlier in the week, which is set in the 20s, and found it really refreshing.

I just watched Frances Ha about an hour ago. Very enjoyable.

That looks fun. I'll be on the lookout for that.

I'm halfway through watching Heat for the first time since it was released. Al Pacino is acting at me. I feel utterly exhausted.

Last edited by a moderator:

That looks fun. I'll be on the lookout for that.

I'm halfway through watching Heat for the first time since it was released. Al Pacino is acting at me. I feel utterly exhausted.

Al is the best. Period.

I like Pacino but in this his performance was so odd I did a bit of Googling. Apparently the character was meant to be a cokehead, but all mention of that was left on the cutting room floor, hence the weirdness.

(Azaria's surprised response in the above scene is genuine apparently. Pacino ad libbed the whole thing.)

It's an odd film, set in an LA where curtains are banned, even in safe houses high up in the hills, and Pacino's wife has some truly awful lines, my favourite being "I have to demean myself with Ralph just to get closure with you."

De Niro was wonderful, of course, and I could watch Val Kilmer get shot all day long.

I like Pacino but in this his performance was so odd I did a bit of Googling. Apparently the character was meant to be a cokehead, but all mention of that was left on the cutting room floor, hence the weirdness.

(Azaria's surprised response in the above scene is genuine apparently. Pacino ad libbed the whole thing.)

That is interesting...but in spite of the cokehead subplot, that is just how Al acts these days...still love him to death. He really surprised me with Angels in America, though...didn't think he still had it in him.

It's an odd film, set in an LA where curtains are banned, even in safe houses high up in the hills, and Pacino's wife has some truly awful lines, my favourite being "I have to demean myself with Ralph just to get closure with you."

Lol. That's just what Michael Mann does. He's made stylistic choices like that since the wonderful Thief.

De Niro was wonderful, of course,

This was probably the last good performance I've seen from De Niro. The expression on his face when he's in the car and has a chance to get away but goes back for revenge is phenomenal.

and I could watch Val Kilmer get shot all day long.

He can be your winged man, anytime...:p

1PRJF00Z.jpg

Best film ever. Number 1 favourite film of all time for me. Love re-watching all the versions. Got a slight problem with this poster though. :)

if only Davie were 30something, Asian & a girl, then they would be perfect

1PRJF00Z.jpg

Best film ever. Number 1 favourite film of all time for me. Love re-watching all the versions. Got a slight problem with this poster though. :)
yes, it is the best film ever made, glad you think so, now have you listened to the soundtrack, pretty crackin stuff :guitar:

Just saw Transcendence.

It stars Johnny Depp in one of his more out-there roles. He plays a woman in Arizona who uploads herself to Flickr. Apparently he lost over a hundred pounds to play the part.

Two stars.

Re: if only Davie were 30something, Asian & a girl, then they would be perfect

yes, it is the best film ever made, glad you think so, now have you listened to the soundtrack, pretty crackin stuff :guitar:

Vangelis is a musical genius :)

Vangelis is a musical genius :)
he is, which soundtrack of his do you like best?
for me its "Blade Runner" 1st, but I also adore
"Chariots of Fire" "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage" "1492: Conquest of Paradise"
& was pleasantly surprised that when my father passed :tears: but among his CDs was:
cover_30501612112009.jpg

:)

he is, which soundtrack of his do you like best?
for me its "Blade Runner" 1st, but I also adore
"Chariots of Fire" "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage" "1492: Conquest of Paradise"
& was pleasantly surprised that when my father passed :tears: but among his CDs was:
cover_30501612112009.jpg

:)

Blade Runner soundtrack and "Ask The Mountains" are my faves, Robby

Blade Runner soundtrack and "Ask The Mountains" are my faves, Robby
ooh, Voices, I 4got that shit, too busy falling in love at the time :blushing: but found it later and DLing now, since you reminded me of it :thumb:
fingers crossed

9 to 5 gag real. :D

I was watching a documentary on the 50th anniversary of BBC2 and a Danny Boyle produced drama from 1989 called Elephant was mentioned.

Wiki says:

"The film, which contains very little dialogue, depicts eighteen murders and is partly based on actual events drawn from police reports at the time. It is shot with 16mm film with much of it filmed using a steadicam and features a series of tracking shots, a technique the director used regularly. The grainy 16mm film, together with the lack of dialogue, plot, narrative and music give the film a cold, observational documentary feel. Nothing is learnt about any of the gunmen or victims. Each of the murders are carried out calmly and casually, in one scene the gunman is seen to drive away slowly, even stopping to give way for traffic. The victims are shown for several seconds in a static shot of the body.

As with several of Clarke's films, "Elephant" received high praise and attracted controversy. After watching the film, Clarke's contemporary David Leland wrote "I remember lying in bed, watching it, thinking, "Stop, Alan, you can't keep doing this." And the cumulative effect is that you say, "It's got to stop. The killing has got to stop." Instinctively, without an intellectual process, it becomes a gut reaction."

I can only add the locations make Fargo look like the Côte d'Azur. and it's shocking in the mundane awfulness of the crimes.

Available in five not very long parts on Youtube now. Search for Elephant 1989, or else you get... Elephants.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom