tell us about the last Film you saw

Hey Charlie you might want to try out big bad wolves given your interest in the thin blue line and bad lieutenant

http://www.swefilmer.com/borgriki-2011/city-state-2011-video_73895a07c.html

City State

British/icelandic/serbian drama based in Iceland about serbian mob and icelandic drug police. Very raw violence in this one as expected when it deals with the serbian crime syndicate. There is an almost constant soundtrack in the background that adds to the mysterious vibe in this one and I cannot decide if the film is bad or good cause that will surely split the watching audience. I found it a bit hard to keep track on who is who and what part they play in the story so that could have been done better. Nice seeing some old british faces from various crime shows and films of the past and the icelandic humdrum gloom is very much present in this one like we have come to expect from icelandic based films.

http://www.swefilmer.com/all-things-to-all-men-2013/the-deadly-game-2013-video_705f1e368.html

The Deadly Game

This english crime drama with a number of well known faces from various english crime dramas and hooligan films felt a bit like an american crime drama based in London. The plot is fairly simple yet I struggled to understand the setup and therefor never came close to the characters in it. English crime dramas based in London tend to use the usual buildings and views to build up an atmosphere but somehow the story itself felt a bit too weak compared to how well it was filmed.

http://www.swefilmer.com/human-capital-2013/girighetens-pris-2013-video_c182090f5.html

Human Capital

This years italian Oscar entry and a simply amazing film in so many ways. The story is divided into four chapters with the first three chapters focusing on one character in the film. This means we get to see the same scenes over and over but from the individuals unique perspective which in turn ties together a story that starts with a man on a bicycle being hit by a car.

This is about guilt and human value and more or less focuses on a very rich family and their struggles. As with all italian films the dialogue is rich and dramatic and poetic and maybe only italian actors manage to be over dramatic without it feeling tacky in any way. A rare film in that it gets better and better along the way and it reminds us all about how we all have our own story that is connected with other people in a higher sort of order.

http://www.swefilmer.com/staying-alive-2015/staying-alive-2015-video_2e84937b8.html

Staying Alive

Yes, the film title of this norwegian film is taken from the famous song and it also features the three times Eurovision winner Johnny Logan playing himself. It is about a perfectly happy couple with two kids in Oslo or so it seems until the husbands infidelity is found out. Agnes Kittelsen portrays the mother of two well as her world comes crashing down. This film could easily have become a feel good film despite the issue it deals with but is a lovely film in so many ways that makes you laugh a lot here and there.

http://www.swefilmer.com/the-water-diviner-2014/the-water-diviner-2014-video_4d6651486.html

The Water Diviner

As we approach the 100th anniversary of the battle at Gallipoli this film based on real events starring Russell Crowe focuses on an australian dad who allowed his three sons to join the army and who never returned. Wanting to know the truth he travels to the battleground years later trying to know what really happened. This is a proper film with loads of money and effort put into it but it becomes somewhat of a wishy washy romantic portrait of those events. There is no doubt that there is an agenda in this film in that it portrays muslims as the good people and all the others like the greeks as really evil people and if someone dare follow that recipe then maybe they will make a film about the nazis not being entirely evil as well which I very much doubt we will ever get to see.

http://www.swefilmer.com/about-alex-2014/about-alex-2014-video_66fd8ad97.html

About Alex

So a film about old college friends gathering at a house to take care of their friend who just tried to kill himself might sound dull but it wasn't. This is like a bratpack movie of the current times and they even joke about those sort of films in this film. The dialogue is the typical young american people drivel and airhead thinking as they smoke joints and listen to music that goes well with a joint. One of them is a bearded man with specs and symbolises the hipster of today who tries to be smart but just annoys the hell out of everyone. The dialogue and thinking of these people are not anymore weird and silly than any post here at Solo by CG so if you are into that then this may entertain you. It's not a bad film in any way and I guess it deals with these people not entirely managing to leave their college life behind them and move into the grown up world of boring jobs and expectations.

starred-up-dvd-cover-01-481x679.jpg

A bit far fetched and unrealistic in places but once you put that to one side this is very good, 8/10.

http://www.swefilmer.com/tommy-coop...like-that-like-this-2014-video_527f7ccfd.html

Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This

In 1983 me and my dad travelled to Manchester for the first time so I could watch my beloved Manchester United play at Old Trafford as they faced Liverpool. We went there despite the game being live on tv back home. We stayed at the Britannia Hotel and after making ourselves feel at home in our room we went down to the lobby and by the slot machines stood a very tall man who dad immediately recognised and said to me "oh look it's Tommy Cooper". 14 months later the big man died after collapsing on a live tv show.

This is both sad and fun to watch as he like any great comedian had a very dark side with alcohol abuse and not taking care of himself at all. I did not know much about his personal life and how he fell in love with his assistant and this film centers on that and his inability to take anything seriously. I wish the film had tried more to understand what shaped him into tackling life with humour like he did but this film is simply brilliant if you like me loved his sense of humour and energy.

http://www.swefilmer.com/maggie-2015/maggie-2015-video_b5d373399.html

Maggie

Arnold Schwarzenegger and the now grown up girl from "Little Miss Sunshine" in a zombie film?

Well, it sounds silly but it might be the best film in the zombie genre. That is because this is not one of those tacky zombie films where they run around like mad because this film describe a scenario where a virus causes a slow change in people and how that impacts their loved ones. The mood in the film is a doomsday one and it has been very well filmed to create a feeling of a disaster that is both distant and close at the same time.

Arnold is perfect as the family man whose daughter catches the virus by beating bitten by a virus infected zombie and he takes her home to take care of her knowing full well he is expected to either send her to the quarantine or end her life himself. Abigail Breslin who played the adorable girl in "Little Miss Sunshine" handles her part well when she doesn't say much but in a few scenes she fails miserably as the heavy vibe of the film is transformed into some teenage flick with giggling girls.

All in all a nice surprise that will appeal to those that themselves might have lived with a coming disaster in the shape of the inevitable death of a loved one and how that can feel as you wait for it to happen without having any possibility to change the outcome.

Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I grew up devouring Marvel comics, and I still love many of the characters, but God this was dull. Fight - fifteen minutes of exposition - fight, repeat. The first Avengers had a couple of decent jokes, but this one was a grind. Sure, it was cleverly done, but that isn't enough to carry it.

I've seen loads of Marvel superhero films but this was my last. Of the perhaps dozen I've seen I can honestly say the only two real wow moments for me were Nightcrawler's attack on the Oval Office in X2, and Sandman recreating himself after being zapped in Spider-Man 3.

The fact is that these characters should exist on the page, not in the movies. The Vision is a perfect example. The 60s Buscema Vision was a very cool character. This version is a bloke with a painted red face, and even chucking two hundred million dollars at it can't escape that.

high school usa starring micheal fox before he added the j. poison ive will be next as im on an early movie kick of his

http://www.swefilmer.com/the-boy-next-door-2015/the-boy-next-door-2015-video_7249a6fe2.html

The Boy Next Door

Jennifer Lopez as the woman with marriage problems who falls for the boy next door. This is about psychological blackmail and made me think about the old classic "Single White Female". Keeps you waiting for what will happen next but I wish american film would stop portraying american schoolkids in the old Beverly Hills 90210 kind of way cause that just feels tacky and so far from the miserable reality those poor kids live in cause their schools are no more fab or flash than schools anywhere else in the civilised world.

http://www.swefilmer.com/the-boy-next-door-2015/the-boy-next-door-2015-video_7249a6fe2.html

The Boy Next Door

Jennifer Lopez as the woman with marriage problems who falls for the boy next door. This is about psychological blackmail and made me think about the old classic "Single White Female". Keeps you waiting for what will happen next but I wish american film would stop portraying american schoolkids in the old Beverly Hills 90210 kind of way cause that just feels tacky and so far from the miserable reality those poor kids live in cause their schools are no more fab or flash than schools anywhere else in the civilised world.

I don't remember where but I read a review of this as being the worst movie of the year it was released. Was there a scene where she casually gives him a first edition copy of The Iliad? :rofl:

The Boy Next Door

I always thought Hollywood high was pretty cool and a real place. also the school where they film stuff like my so called life is a real school that gets used a lot. never seen the movie but when they film highschools, often the building and stuff are real buildings and real schools

I always thought Hollywood high was pretty cool and a real place. also the school where they film stuff like my so called life is a real school that gets used a lot. never seen the movie but when they film highschools, often the building and stuff are real buildings and real schools

It is called propaganda and we all know the reason it is used and the 80's called and wanted your memories back and urge you to get new ones.

I don't remember where but I read a review of this as being the worst movie of the year it was released. Was there a scene where she casually gives him a first edition copy of The Iliad? :rofl:

The film was released this year and yes a first edition copy of he Iliad.

The film clearly demonstrates how american film is still stuck in a glory days haze and is repeating itself over and over without adding any sort of intellectual thoughts so throwing the Iliad in there is just a way to cover up how stupid the whole country is. American film always falls into the trap of portraying intellectuals in a stereotype manner as we know all american intellectuals are just posers with no connection to the source of intellectualism that sure as hell have never had any sort of ties with USA. I know some english related people of Boston drinking tea tried to make USA civilised but failed miserably as the banjo playing elite of the country opted to remain in the trailers and swamps.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom