My Life Story (live in London in December)

Maurice E

Any other fans of the legendary My Life Story around here?
Their 1997 album 'The Golden Mile' ranks alongside The Queen is Dead as one of my own, personal all-time favourite albums (of all time).
Brilliant lyrics, gorgeous melodies, fantastially imaginative arrangements and a singer who you either had to love or hate!
They're doing a one-off concert at the London Astoria on Friday December 8th (an unfortunate clash with the Moz date).
My Life Story actually provided the strings on the Morrissey version of Interlude as Boz Boorer was friends with MLS lead singer Jake Shillingford.
Back in the late 80's, Jake Shillingford ran an indie club in North London and once famously turned Moz away as he didn't believe it was him. His excuse; everyone into indie music looked like Morrissey in those days!

Here are Maurice E's top 10 My Life Story songs compiled instantly (off the top of his head):

1. Silently Screaming
2. 12 Reasons Why I Love Her (a shopping list of love)
3. The Angel
4. Cinzano drip-fed
5. You'll never see the stars (if you don't go out at night)
6. You don't sparkle
7. Lady Somerset
8. Here comes April 1st
9. Walk (don't walk)
10. You can't uneat the apple now

Maurice

Ah, love em ! They also 'came back' with a great album Joined Up Talking, which is criminally under rated.

I've only heard bits and pieces. Whats the verdict on "sex and violins-the best of" which came out this year ?

Here is their Myspace address:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=54014372
I think you can download some songs from it off their upcoming B-sides compilation. Silently Screaming is a good example of one of their lower key songs.
I don't know if they have any other songs up there; I'd recommend 12 Reasons Why, Strumpet and Sparkle (probably their three most successful singles).
They were quite heavily into orchestral arrangements which sounds a bit pretentious but worked really well (especially at the live concerts) because the quality of the songs was so good.

Their singer, Jake Shillingford, was quite in yer face (as they say) and had a love-hate relationship with the music press. In fact the NME were probably more bitchy towards him than they were towards Moz (in the mid-late 90s) which is saying something!

Someone asked about 'Sex and Violins'. Err, yeah, it does feature quite a few of my favourites although I never really liked their early stuff.
They had tons of brilliant b-sides (like Morrissey in that respect) and a b-side compilation album is coming out soon (Megaphone Theology). Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom