What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

man amis got a lot of praise for the novel zone of interest. best book of the year from time, the village voice, miami herald, npr, financial times, book riot, minneapolis star tribune, as well as getting praise from the atlantic, the guardian, richard ford, the washington post, slate, the daily beast, los angelos times, the new yorker, entertainment weekly, chicago tribune, the sunday times (london), the irish times, the times literary supplement, the spectator, pittsburgh post-gazett etc. still with a lot of odd connections and influences, the concentration camps from times arrow and house of meetings and the shakespeare all over the place this time with macbeth. even as far back as money his fourth novel he is using these things (reading animal farm for instance) which i still believe to be the prologue/inverse to lionel asbo (des is half black and for sure doesnt want his secret indiscretion with his kings relation, his own, to get otoldo (otello) to said king whom he fearws and is in awe of. the amount of connections between those two books was alarming. it was really odd with some of the lines dialogue almost running verbatim and of course the numbers match to those lines in both books. would really like to ask him about it

really enjoying americana at the moment though it in a weird time period for me where i dont understand all the social norms but its a very minor thing and inconsequential to the story (and kinda interesting for me as well as i dont think ive read much thats set in seventies america).

I couldnt resist starting my new first edition of capotes summer crossing as its my fav novel of his. didn't know it was his first but as I always thought it a completed later work he never got around to publishing. the last loaded line of the novel is probably my fav in any novel. anyway after this its back to the list

finished americana a while ago by don delillo and it was super frustrating. his ability to write was great but that book was super tedious as nothing happened and it was basically a much longer and more boring version of on the road. even ends up in the desert. it felt more about himself than any soico political economic cultural commentary which is what it was billed as and i found i just couldnt relate much. fearful of trying another though i know i will in time i guess. maybe end zone. gonna start you cant go home again today as i sit a read in starbucks listening to the endless rain. love thomas wolfe

What are you reading?

I'm reading a set of essays: "Stop What You're Doing and Read This!" by Carmen Callil, Mark Haddon, Michael Rosen, Zadie Smith, Jeanette Winterson, etc.

More entertaining than I thought and very easy to read. I couldn't agree more with Zadie Smith.

Last edited:
Re: What are you reading?

ooh im fond of essays myself.

im reading--well trying to read--the masterpiece by emile zola but it is so damn boring and the characters so silly and the way they talk ("now you two will kiss and be friends!") makes me think that emile zola was probably a bit of a gimp, so i dont think im getting much out of it.

ooh im fond of essays myself.

im reading--well trying to read--the masterpiece by emile zola but it is so damn boring and the characters so silly and the way they talk ("now you two will kiss and be friends!") makes me think that emile zola was probably a bit of a gimp, so i dont think im getting much out of it.

Excellent author!

the secret history, by donna tartt. so far it's good, i dont particularly enjoy reading though, but i've been forcing myself to read all the books ive accumulated over the years that i havent read. it's been insanely boring.

on countthree's suggestion i bought vanity fair, so ill be starting that next. i bought it used, and had to shake it first to make sure there were no bedbugs or other surprises in it. *shudder* used books gross me out so much.

the secret history, by donna tartt. so far it's good, i dont particularly enjoy reading though, but i've been forcing myself to read all the books ive accumulated over the years that i havent read. it's been insanely boring.

on countthree's suggestion i bought vanity fair, so ill be starting that next. i bought it used, and had to shake it first to make sure there were no bedbugs or other surprises in it. *shudder* used books gross me out so much.

Moz is an exceedingly rare breed of bedbug, you know. He won't bite you (not females anyway), but he will embed himself in your epidermis and suck you dry. That better?

I hope you enjoy your reading. I had too many surprises with used books, from strange objects to missing pages. Now I use a Kindle for ebooks and a tablet for PDFs. Problem solved. I know it's not romantic, but it's clean :D

I'm reading A Doll's House. It's the third time I read it, and every time from a different lifetime perspective. Some texts evolve with you. Maybe that's why they are called classics.

I hope you enjoy your reading. I had too many surprises with used books, from strange objects to missing pages. Now I use a Kindle for ebooks and a tablet for PDFs. Problem solved. I know it's not romantic, but it's clean :D

I'm reading A Doll's House. It's the third time I read it, and every time from a different lifetime perspective. Some texts evolve with you. Maybe that's why they are called classics.
yes, i think that's probably true about classic books. ive read the phantom of the opera over and over. you wouldnt really call it a classic but man, i love that book.

a dolls house...that's interesting, it's a play right?

- Holding the Man by Timothy Conigrave

- The Culture of the Counter-culture by Alan Watts

- Holding the Man by Timothy Conigrave

- The Culture of the Counter-culture by Alan Watts

if you like music bios billy idols was surprisingly good. not a fan of the music or anything about him before reading but he can write pretty well and has his own style and phrasing that found to be pretty sweet and his honesty, seeming honesty as what do i know, and humility was fairly touching and moving. his sweet and tender expressions of love for his parents was also refreshing

Just started The Chemistry Of Tears - Peter Carey . Read The Tax Inspector by Carey Years ago.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom