What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

7082.jpg

I'm sorry, Blade Runner is a classic and this is a classic science fiction novel, but I honestly couldn't get into it. Nothing gripped me. Maybe I'm really just having a negative period?

7082.jpg

I'm sorry, Blade Runner is a classic and this is a classic science fiction novel, but I honestly couldn't get into it. Nothing gripped me. Maybe I'm really just having a negative period?
yes, you really are just having a negative period, I am not going to say you should give 2001 another chance, its not one of my fave Kubrick films :o
but this book, yeah, maybe just give it a few years and try to imagine the characters from the movie playing these parts in the book, worked for me :)
still, its a film I go back and watch every half decade or so, that and "Brazil" another great film in my opinion :thumb:

7082.jpg

It's very dark and certain elements of it are difficult to understand. It's not his most accessible work. He has several good books of short stories. Or try again with this one. Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said (called The Android Cried Me a River in VALIS) is a 1974 science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. The story follows a genetically enhanced pop singer and television star who wakes up in a world where he has never existed. The novel is set in a futuristic dystopia, where the United States has become a police state in the aftermath of a Second Civil War. It was nominated for a Nebula Award in 1974,[1] a Hugo Award in 1975,[2] and was awarded the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Science Fiction Novel in 1975.[2][3]

If you don't like that one he's not your cup of tea.

DADROES1969.jpg

Took all your advice and I read the rest of it today and it does improve! There are changes in the Blade Runner film so it's definitely worth a read! :)

one of my favorite books of all time :straightface:
as for me, something lighter right now :o I get enough about "Big Brother" in real life* :cool:
serpent-of-venice.jpg

Pocket of Dog Snogging is back! this time he is in Venice, just started it and loving it already, could be as great as:
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Fool(5).jpg[/I

*=I've been told that they are going to install cameras in every classroom at my work. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Serpent of Venice was 16 quid off Amazon I'll have a look around.

i-am-legend2.gif

I'm loving this...I love the character and I think the writing style is miles ahead of Philip K Dick.

No, I didn't. But then what does it matter? I still believe Matheson writes a lot better. But I'm not giving up on Philip though. I will read Ubik soon.
oh well, there you have it, I mean Matheson is one of my fave writers too, of TV stuff
his status was only made more so for me once I learned that he tried to get Philip K writer jobs
I learned this from one of Matheson's sons, who I initially met at a party held by David Koepp oh so many years ago, but yeah
the consensus was that Ubik was his best, so I hope you enjoy it and give it a chance, its pretty f***in deep!

oh well, there you have it, I mean Matheson is one of my fave writers too, of TV stuff
his status was only made more so for me once I learned that he tried to get Philip K writer jobs
I learned this from one of Matheson's sons, who I initially met at a party held by David Koepp oh so many years ago, but yeah
the consensus was that Ubik was his best, so I hope you enjoy it and give it a chance, its pretty f***in deep!

Uh Oh. Has he had any lighter stories so I can actually compare? Please name drop a few...as long as it isn't in his drug/religious period :p

Uh Oh. Has he had any lighter stories so I can actually compare? Please name drop a few...as long as it isn't in his drug/religious period :p

f*** man, put me on the spot, I mean I like all his Marxist influenced early stuff, because its a nice counterweight to the bullshit history handed down to us about the "glorious 50s" here in the USA
but nobody read it til later, least of all me, until I was at UCLA, using "modern fiction" to write papers about our recent past
the same way people do about the 1700s, pretty out there shit in the history graduate program back in the late 90s
but none of that is here or there, if you have not read "Ubik" & "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said"
then what's the point?

518FIXezSXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I Am Legend was great by the way I will definitely be reading more of his novels once I've retrieved my library card out of the shredder (long story!)
Just started on this as I hope it'll give me slightly more insight into the film and so far it's doing the job :)

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom