+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 114 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2271

Thread: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

  1. #1941
    My secret's my enzyme. CrystalGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Azusa Adjacent
    Posts
    33,205
    Blog Entries
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,286
    Given: 816

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    Der Einfluss Nietzsches auf Herman Hesse by Lászlo V. Szabó.
    Tsh! You're just getting to that?

    0 Not allowed!



    Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
    Maybe Geezer can give us advice seeing as she is an upstanding citizen in her community, trusted confidant to her friends, is extremely intelligent and properly educated, & just generally has her shit together in ways we could never hope to?

  2. #1942
    A Burnt Child Emil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Island of the Doomed
    Posts
    1,394
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 9

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalGeezer View Post
    Tsh! You're just getting to that?
    What can I say? I'm a slow reader.

    0 Not allowed!
    What then is salvation? I believe that salvation is the process through which one suddenly is able to bear that this life is meaninglees, empty, cold and indifferent - in itself a nothingness.

  3. #1943
    My secret's my enzyme. CrystalGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Azusa Adjacent
    Posts
    33,205
    Blog Entries
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,286
    Given: 816

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by peptastic View Post
    Hunger Games trilogy is really fun. I might be in the minority who liked the last book Mockingjay though.
    The Capitol reminds me of Moscow during the Soviets.
    I finished the first one a week or so ago. My friend said "I'm reading the second one, I'll loan it to you!" I broke down today at Target and bought it, couldn't wait. It's by no means intellectual and sometimes I forget I'm reading a teen novel and cringe, but it's very entertaining.

    0 Not allowed!



    Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
    Maybe Geezer can give us advice seeing as she is an upstanding citizen in her community, trusted confidant to her friends, is extremely intelligent and properly educated, & just generally has her shit together in ways we could never hope to?

  4. #1944
    Corinthian and Caricature Happy Maudlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The arse of the world
    Posts
    1,220
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 12

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arendt-hannah-the-origins-of-totalitarianism1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	12814

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black_rednecks_and_white_liberals.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	12815

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover_TheRoadToSerfdom.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	12816

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41YLZFd81cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	12817

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #1945
    movin' on up realitybites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sedona, Arizona
    Posts
    12,756
    Blog Entries
    302
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 497
    Given: 239

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Maudlin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arendt-hannah-the-origins-of-totalitarianism1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	12814

    Just added this to my Kindle. Thanks.

    0 Not allowed!


    Your mammy's backyard!

  6. #1946

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by realitybites View Post
    Just added this to my Kindle. Thanks.
    Back when I was reading books in the 90's every book in Sweden was either about the jews or the nazis or both or written by a jew or released by a jewish publisher. As a jewish family, Bonnier, owns 90% of media in Sweden this should not come as any big surprise.

    I take this book as proof that not much have changed since those days not even abroad. Reading is bad for the eyes so drink a lot of blueberry juice or eat them fresh.

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #1947
    movin' on up realitybites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sedona, Arizona
    Posts
    12,756
    Blog Entries
    302
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 497
    Given: 239

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban the swede View Post
    Back when I was reading books in the 90's every book in Sweden was either about the jews or the nazis or both or written by a jew or released by a jewish publisher. As a jewish family, Bonnier, owns 90% of media in Sweden this should not come as any big surprise.

    I take this book as proof that not much have changed since those days not even abroad. Reading is bad for the eyes so drink a lot of blueberry juice or eat them fresh.
    The book is old, written in 1951.

    But here is one I am reading on my Kindle that was just written in 2009:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103522015.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	12822

    So ya, the Jews are still writing and publishing and us gentiles are still reading.

    0 Not allowed!


    Your mammy's backyard!

  8. #1948

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by realitybites View Post
    The book is old, written in 1951.

    But here is one I am reading on my Kindle that was just written in 2009:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103522015.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	12822

    So ya, the Jews are still writing and publishing and us gentiles are still reading.
    Yeah, I do not think the situation abroad is the same as in little Sweden where the media owners have an influence on what is released in a way that must be rare elsewhere in the world. What is important here is that the nazi movement has more or less died out in Sweden and many other countries and the same people that were nazi are now pro-Israel because of the EDL and the manifest written by Anders Behring Breivik.

    Things have really changed due to the threat from the muslims making people who used to hate Israel and jews taking sides with them against the muslims. I would go as far as to say that the nazi movement in Sweden has been totally wiped out in the sense they are no longer heard anywhere and have lost the little power they had online and through other media.

    Books have always been an important tool to influence people into thinking in a certain way and I would say that the majority of books are written by marxists and are anti-liberal and anti-conservative. If you're not a socialist then you really have to put in an effort to find books that describe things in a more sensible way. I believe books are behind the fact that people are so ill informed and it is brain washing to me. I have never met a book reader with a mind of his or her own. I fear these people and they must be questioned at all cost.

    To me they are like the Wikipedia generation thinking what they read must be facts.

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #1949
    movin' on up realitybites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sedona, Arizona
    Posts
    12,756
    Blog Entries
    302
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 497
    Given: 239

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban the swede View Post
    Yeah, I do not think the situation abroad is the same as in little Sweden where the media owners have an influence on what is released in a way that must be rare elsewhere in the world. What is important here is that the nazi movement has more or less died out in Sweden and many other countries and the same people that were nazi are now pro-Israel because of the EDL and the manifest written by Anders Behring Breivik.

    Things have really changed due to the threat from the muslims making people who used to hate Israel and jews taking sides with them against the muslims. I would go as far as to say that the nazi movement in Sweden has been totally wiped out in the sense they are no longer heard anywhere and have lost the little power they had online and through other media.

    Books have always been an important tool to influence people into thinking in a certain way and I would say that the majority of books are written by marxists and are anti-liberal and anti-conservative. If you're not a socialist then you really have to put in an effort to find books that describe things in a more sensible way. I believe books are behind the fact that people are so ill informed and it is brain washing to me. I have never met a book reader with a mind of his or her own. I fear these people and they must be questioned at all cost.

    To me they are like the Wikipedia generation thinking what they read must be facts.
    Didn't Lisbeth Salander take out the last living Nazi in Sweden back in 2003?

    I wasn't under the impression that Sweden prohibited access to books and information. If you are having a hard time finding text and video that critiques socialism, try The Pirate Bay.

    0 Not allowed!


    Your mammy's backyard!

  10. #1950
    Senior Member Raphael Lambach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    an off-world colony
    Posts
    3,593
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 20

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh my god, it's Robby! View Post
    I brought about a dozen pieces of fiction(William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Bruce Sterling, Umberto Eco, Albert Camus, Caleb Carr & Margaret Atwood)
    Some of these I had already read, but it had been years, now they are all read, so I am onto my non-fiction, first up is:

    after that some Derrida and then, I don't know, I'll have to look, I know there is a "Marx reader" in there somewhere and the Bible, of course.

    ps: 1/2 of my big suitcase was devoted to books!
    I do love Michel Foucault and it's one of my favs. Through this book you can understand some may question about punishment and its theories. And we - journalist - use some theories in mass communication.

    Right now...I'm reading some work about Ludwig Wittgenstein, a philosopher who works the theory of "private language" which one I am using in my post-graduate course

    0 Not allowed!
    "Those who murder language are not pure" - Camus

    http://www.parana-online.com.br/colunistas/367/

  11. #1951
    Junior Member BarbaraMaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    I'm reading "Poor Economics" at the moment. I'm liking it so far.

    It is basically about how there's more to fighting poverty than spending millions on food subsidies. Poor people behave differently depending on their circumstances, and small actions can sometimes be more life-changing to them than grand government plans that tend to generalise and not take these particularities into account.

    I'm an economist and this is the first book on economy I've read since I graduated in 2009. I wonder if I just needed a break or if I chose the wrong major

    0 Not allowed!
    La tua ossessione? Everything

    Sogna ad occhi aperti? Constantly

    I tuoi segreti? Many, many secrets

  12. #1952
    KenzieW
    Guest

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    The Night Circus.

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #1953
    A Burnt Child Emil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Island of the Doomed
    Posts
    1,394
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 9

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Nietzsche by Karl Jaspers and Die Psychologie von C.G. Jung by Jolan Jacobi.

    0 Not allowed!
    What then is salvation? I believe that salvation is the process through which one suddenly is able to bear that this life is meaninglees, empty, cold and indifferent - in itself a nothingness.

  14. #1954
    a bit fond
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,188
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    Nietzsche by Karl Jaspers and Die Psychologie von C.G. Jung by Jolan Jacobi.
    Who's for a party at Emil's ?

    0 Not allowed!

  15. #1955
    Senior Member chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    112
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    just finished 'the rachel papers' by martin amis. quite an enjoyable read. i'm currently making my way through richard holmes' biography of the poet samuel taylor coleridge. a cracking good read so far. beautifully written.

    0 Not allowed!
    "give it to me straight like a pear cider made from 100% pear....s" Stewart Lee

  16. #1956
    can you please stop time? sad veiled bride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    665
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 69

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by billy scissors View Post
    Who's for a party at Emil's ?
    Thanks Billy, you made me smile for the first time today!!

    0 Not allowed!

  17. #1957
    a bit fond
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,188
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by sad veiled bride View Post
    Thanks Billy, you made me smile for the first time today!!
    Aawww,thanks.

    0 Not allowed!

  18. #1958
    spontaneously luminescent Oh my god, it's Robby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    23,042
    Blog Entries
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 103

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?


    My mother was overdue with my brother Raymond and they decided to induce labor. That weekend they sent me off to this Christian camp for smart but troubled kids like me and my mother bought me a bible, I still have it and planned only on opening it to the dated inscription from her and try and remember coming home to having a little brother, this did not work so much, thirty years is a long time to remember back to, the best I can must is about half that. Still, been reading the new testament, first time in a long, long time, some of it aint half bad, you know?

    0 Not allowed!

  19. #1959
    movin' on up realitybites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sedona, Arizona
    Posts
    12,756
    Blog Entries
    302
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 497
    Given: 239

    Default Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by billy scissors View Post
    Who's for a party at Emil's ?
    Such fine wit!

    0 Not allowed!


    Your mammy's backyard!

  20. #1960
    spontaneously luminescent Oh my god, it's Robby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    23,042
    Blog Entries
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 103

    Red face Re: What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

    its taken me a while to get into reading books from pdf, but desperate times call for desperate measures
    if anybody knows of some good sites to DL books for free, please let me know
    as for me, I just DLed

    & am starting now...

    0 Not allowed!

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What Is Everyone Reading At The Moment?
    By iamkali62 in forum Off-topic archive 2008 (read-only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 30, 2008, 01:10 AM
  2. What are people's favourite non-Morrissey albums at the moment?
    By Nickl90 in forum Other Music archive (read-only)
    Replies: 377
    Last Post: September 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
  3. What's Everyone Writing At The Moment?
    By bikubesong in forum Off-topic archive 2007 (read-only)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: June 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
  4. what i ABSOLUTELY hate at the moment
    By duchess_of_fork in forum Off-topic archive 2007 (read-only)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 9, 2007, 06:11 PM
  5. What are the best 2004 albums at the moment?
    By Cock and Balls AKA Shooter McGavin in forum General Discussion archive 2004 (read-only)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 23, 2004, 03:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •