What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Re: What are you reading?

if you like music bios billy idols was surprisingly good. not a fan of the music or anything about him before reading but he can write pretty well and has his own style and phrasing that found to be pretty sweet and his honesty, seeming honesty as what do i know, and humility was fairly touching and moving. his sweet and tender expressions of love for his parents was also refreshing

Thanks! I like fiction, but some bios are very interesting. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction :)

Thanks! I like fiction, but some bios are very interesting. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction :)

true crime stories will for sure tell you that. im mostly a fiction reader myself as this thread is mostly full of my posts and novels that no one commented on or seemed to have read. detritus one called me lit nerd anon and thats a pretty accurate description i say proudly. i mentioned just because we were on a music site and i took you post about the culture of the counter culture which i dont know of but the title read like an essay collection so i mentioned it. his story isnt very strange at all really and is very typical but i was struck at some of his phrasing and a few facts were interesting to learn like how before napster he pirated his own album to download on his website and got over a hundred thousand downloads which was interesting to me

true crime stories will for sure tell you that. im mostly a fiction reader myself as this thread is mostly full of my posts and novels that no one commented on or seemed to have read. detritus one called me lit nerd anon and thats a pretty accurate description i say proudly. i mentioned just because we were on a music site and i took you post about the culture of the counter culture which i dont know of but the title read like an essay collection so i mentioned it. his story isnt very strange at all really and is very typical but i was struck at some of his phrasing and a few facts were interesting to learn like how before napster he pirated his own album to download on his website and got over a hundred thousand downloads which was interesting to me

Great! I'll check your previous posts. :thumb:

Great! I'll check your previous posts. :thumb:

did you ever wonder why no one mentions how the wretch from the list of the lost seems to mirror his experience with james and tim from the story in auto about them driving in the country side (at least i dont remember it from any reviews). didnt they almost hit him with the car. maybe someone does and im just wrong. also wonder if those "awful" sex scenes were actually drawn from his often described personal experience with sex. would be funny if people were criticizing an actual experience as not being real enough or sexy enough for good fiction (ya know since it would actually be fact). also sad

did you ever wonder why no one mentions how the wretch from the list of the lost seems to mirror his experience with james and tim from the story in auto about them driving in the country side (at least i dont remember it from any reviews). didnt they almost hit him with the car. maybe someone does and im just wrong. also wonder if those "awful" sex scenes were actually drawn from his often described personal experience with sex. would be funny if people were criticizing an actual experience as not being real enough or sexy enough for good fiction (ya know since it would actually be fact). also sad

Sorry, I didn't read The List of the Lost. But I will, because I enjoyed Autobiography.

On the critics of scenes which seem to be too unrealistic, I'm sure we all have personal experiences or we know facts which would seem unsuitable even for a work of fiction. But they are true. Not only about sex scenes. It seems there's an implicit literary rule about which situations can be considered acceptable in literary fiction. And the story about the situations or events that exceed this literary credibility are automatically assumed as "bad literature". It's a shame, because we as readers are losing the possibility to enjoy and learn a lot of real life situations and events that no one dares to tell because they would be considered too "unreal" for fiction, and at the same time they are too bold to be told as autobiography. Reality largely exceeds fiction. Always. What do you think?

Sorry, I didn't read The List of the Lost. But I will, because I enjoyed Autobiography.

On the critics of scenes which seem to be too unrealistic, I'm sure we all have personal experiences or we know facts which would seem unsuitable even for a work of fiction. But they are true. Not only about sex scenes. It seems there's an implicit literary rule about which situations can be considered acceptable in literary fiction. And the story about the situations or events that exceed this literary credibility are automatically assumed as "bad literature". It's a shame, because we as readers are losing the possibility to enjoy and learn a lot of real life situations and events that no one dares to tell because they would be considered too "unreal" for fiction, and at the same time they are too bold to be told as autobiography. Reality largely exceeds fiction. Always. What do you think?

i very much agree. it seemed like a lot of the reviews of the sex scenes, which also had the air of pointless secondary agendas of attack of on the author, can only be used for the purpose of inspiring arousal. im an unusual person myself with some odd experiences that i dont think everyone believes but ive accepted that these days and dont even really try to convince others anymore. it left me exhausted and dissatisfied in the end. also a lot of the times i read fiction, one of the reasons as there are a lot of reasons i read fiction, based on unusual lives and people with unusual thoughts because it makes for much more interesting stories. if i wanted drudgery and commonality i need only to look at the lives and world around me in many cases and places so what would be the point of investing my time and effort in reading about it. i read auto a long time ago and list of the lost only recently though of course i read the synopsis and reviews when they came out and they all mention the wretch. now ive been looking at cars which i need to buy one extremely soon and when i waw slooking at a slightly used mercedes it brought to mind the part from auto where they describe the specter like person he james and linder almost hit with there mercedes when out for a drive in the country and it just got me thinking, was that experience used for the novel and are the characters based maybe on people he knew in his more youthful days such as james and linder and of course himself which made me try to connect the sex scenes with possible personal experiences hes described about his own sexual first encounters (qhich if im remembering correctly were described as embarrassing and fumbling). ive never been a car guy but now that im looking at buying a nice one for the first time im learning the brands and for some reason, i dont know why, i remember descriptions of cars from the books ive read. another example would be trents black bmw from mansons bio long hard road out of hell or when brett anderson talks about jaguars because he liked the idea of the car as an animal etc. weird i know but there it is

since we liked comparing out streaming queues i thought wed maybe like comparing our fiction. i dont wanna take the time to make a list so i just took four phots of the fiction that i own as it probably somewhat defines me well

like i said im n ot very techy and i think this is the first time im trying using chrome so here goes. funny i dont already have a list of this as usually i just like making lists. huh

wow that is awesome! i want your library!

for me the problem with morrisseys sex scenes is not that they're not real, or not sexy, because certainly i dont read books for the sex scenes. but like, in this sentence for example:
Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.

it seems to me like he's trying to, rather than using words to describe or to hint or to invoke or to supply nuance, use the rhythm of the words to conjure up the sexual experience, to sweep the reader along, but to me, the attempt falls flat because of the awkward constructions and inscrutable imagery he uses, terms such as "giggling snowball" "barrell rolled" etc, that act as jarring speedbumps, to keep the whole thing from being an elegant or smooth tumult of words. also it doesnt seem to me like there's much feeling behind it. rather the quagmire of words seems to be like a bridge over empty space, that never becomes grounded in anything. there's the terms pained frenzy, and exitement but whose pained frenzy, whose excitement? we know it's ezra's, because he tells us so, but not because we feel it to be. all i know is, this is how i write sex scenes:

emilie and emil joined up like two runaway mining cars, jarring and raucous as they tore along the tracks of perceived bodily union, as each gasped and guttered, shrieked and lurched, with the dizzying swoops and falls of the clanking rhythm of their joined life force jolted wide awake as they surged on and on much like this sentence, until, gasping as one, with the primitive savage thrusts of flesh against bone and bone against flesh, they swam for the light of shared bliss, that point at which emils cylinder of unbowing deference finally condescended to make a felicitous obeisance to emilies blushing how do you do, and so on and so forth.

come on, that's like way better. penguin sign me up! :p

for me the problem with morrisseys sex scenes is not that they're not real, or not sexy, because certainly i dont read books for the sex scenes. but like, in this sentence for example:
Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.

it seems to me like he's trying to, rather than using words to describe or to hint or to invoke or to supply nuance, use the rhythm of the words to conjure up the sexual experience, to sweep the reader along, but to me, the attempt falls flat because of the awkward constructions and inscrutable imagery he uses, terms such as "giggling snowball" "barrell rolled" etc, that act as jarring speedbumps, to keep the whole thing from being an elegant or smooth tumult of words. also it doesnt seem to me like there's much feeling behind it. rather the quagmire of words seems to be like a bridge over empty space, that never becomes grounded in anything. there's the terms pained frenzy, and exitement but whose pained frenzy, whose excitement? we know it's ezra's, because he tells us so, but not because we feel it to be. all i know is, this is how i write sex scenes:

emilie and emil joined up like two runaway mining cars, jarring and raucous as they tore along the tracks of perceived bodily union, as each gasped and guttered, shrieked and lurched, with the dizzying swoops and falls of the clanking rhythm of their joined life force jolted wide awake as they surged on and on much like this sentence, until, gasping as one, with the primitive savage thrusts of flesh against bone and bone against flesh, they swam for the light of shared bliss, that point at which emils cylinder of unbowing deference finally condescended to make a felicitous obeisance to emilies blushing how do you do, and so on and so forth.

i liked it myself but i also like a lot of overly stylistic rhythmic verse. as for the lexicon i also kinda enjoyed it as it brought to mind maybe the triteness of the experience which is kinda a relief as a lot of people place to much importance or drama on first sexual encounters especially teenage ones. i thought the triteness perhaps or silliness of words like giggling conveyed the un importance in actuality of those encounters. it was also refreshing just to see some new words used as words like runaway cars tracks uniongasped shrieked thrust bliss cylinder have all been so overused in the past. all you need to to fit in somehow was the word tunnel somewhere (lol sorry couldnt help myself). no offence but thats my opinion. as you could probably tell by the collection ias much as i like short simple prose and complex metaphor i also equally, perhaps more so, enjoy some dense wordplay and elongated rhythmic sentences

oh and thats only half the library which consists of fiction but the plays philosophy cultural essays science references musical essays photography as well as the harvard classics collection and world book collection are also upstairs in my study or what i humorously refer to as a reading sanctuary, a reference to the show frasier. i recently had to box up my graphic novel collection as i just dont have room now with my son needing space and i just dont wanna manage it all anymore. im probably gonna put those up soon for sale as i need to get rid of them quick as they are taking up space and are creating an annoying eyesore for me

Your version sounds like a harlequin novel

i liked it myself but i also like a lot of overly stylistic rhythmic verse. as for the lexicon i also kinda enjoyed it as it brought to mind maybe the triteness of the experience which is kinda a relief as a lot of people place to much importance or drama on first sexual encounters especially teenage ones. i thought the triteness perhaps or silliness of words like giggling conveyed the un importance in actuality of those encounters. it was also refreshing just to see some new words used as words like runaway cars tracks uniongasped shrieked thrust bliss cylinder have all been so overused in the past. all you need to to fit in somehow was the word tunnel somewhere (lol sorry couldnt help myself). no offence but thats my opinion. as you could probably tell by the collection ias much as i like short simple prose and complex metaphor i also equally, perhaps more so, enjoy some dense wordplay and elongated rhythmic sentences
lol, dont say "no offence" that implies you thought i was serious. obviously im not going to take offence. ooh, tunnel i cant believe i left that out. im sure i could find some way to work that in there!

lol, dont say "no offence" that implies you thought i was serious. obviously im not going to take offence. ooh, tunnel i cant believe i left that out. im sure i could find some way to work that in there!

In a fumbling way Im sure you could. I always hedge my bets on offending people as j seriously do t want to in any legitimate way. I dont take things for granted when it comes to peoples feelings as who am I to assume when people are joking or not. Eventually Id just be wrong and I'd hurt myself in hurting them. Of course this leaves me open to spiteful attacks that also hurt but at least I don't feel guilty at the same time as if Id assumed. That's just me I guess

I recently read "Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements" by Bob Mehr. It's freaking fantastic. I couldn't put it down. If you are a fan of this band, do yourself a favor and get it.

Currently reading Duff McKagen (Guns N' Roses bassist) bio....

I agree. I read there bit in our band could be you're life, excellent book, and unfortunately got the oral history all over but the shouting which was terrible and then got trouble boys. They influenced so many bands and people from the obvious soul asylum Kurt cobain the lemon heads to the less obvious wilco who even did a tribute photo which copied a famous replacements photo. I love westerners and his first solo album is like the replacements album that wasn't. His best since Tim imp though I did really like pleased to meet me. Eventually is just alright but every other solo album is really good to great as well. If you haven't got any get 14 songs first and then the double album mono and you should be on your way. The writer in the movie the heathers was also obviously a fan as they go to westerners high and she uses the phrase color me impressed

The Mass Psychology of Fascism (German: Die Massenpsychologie des Faschismus) by Wilhelm Reich. This book explores how fascists come into power, and explains their rise as a symptom of sexual repression. I'm reading a spanish translation by Juan González Yuste. Interesting.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom