What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

1005400_569838503064058_1008422757_n.jpg

Not thrilled with how it's written (interviews strung together) but I'll power through it:
VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave

almost done with:
space.jpg

its better than I thought it would be, but his writing style really aint my bag though :o
feels old fashioned in a way I am just not down with :straightface:

I just read two by Gabrielle Bell. Her biographical storylines are genius, exploring the depths of depression, trying to make it in the comic world, growing up virtually neglected and a tad of the supernatural. I love this girl. Both books completely captivating.

a481638e1f27c2.jpg

cover-final2.jpg

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice. It's rather good. Hmmm..maybe once she's finished the Wolf Gift Chronicles, they'll make the books into films. That would be awesome. Wish they'd do that with the Vampire Chronicles.

Lost and Found - Tom Winter.

Excellent book, full of humour and heartache.
Real life fiction, I can really relate to the characters.

14imjwp.jpg

I'm reading The Vulgar Tongue by Francis Grosse, a 19th Century dictionary of slang. If you like you can get it free from Project Gutenberg...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5402

... or my copy cost me a penny plus postage from Amazon.

Some examples -

BABES IN THE WOOD: Criminals in stocks or pillory.
BLIND CUPID: Backside.
BOB TAIL: Lewd woman. Also an impotent man or a eunuch.
BREAD AND BUTTER FASHION: One upon the other. "John and his maid were caught lying bread and butter fashion."
CAT: Common prostitute.
COLD PIG: Punishment inflicted on "sluggards" who lie too long in bed; pulling off all the bedclothes and throwing cold water on them.
COW-HEARTED: Fearful.
DOCK: Lie with a woman.
DUGS: Woman's breasts.
ELBOW SHAKER: A dice player.
FLASH THE HASH: Vomit.
GLAZIER: Someone who breaks windows to steal goods for sale.
GOSPEL SHOP: Church.
HEMPEN WIDOW: One whose husband was hanged.
HOYDON: Romping girl.
INEXPRESSIBLES: Breeches.
JOLLY: The head.
KING'S PICTURES: Coin, money.
LEFT-HANDED WIFE: Concubine. Based on an ancient German custom where, when a man married his concubine, or a woman greatly his inferior, he gave her his left hand.
NOISY DOG RACKET: Stealing brass knockers from doors.
OVEN: Great mouth.
PIECE: Wench. A girl who is more or less active and skilful in the amorous congress.
POISONED: Big with child.
QUEER PLUNGERS: Cheats who throw themselves into the water in order that they may be taken up by their accomplices, who carry them to one of the houses appointed by the Humane Society for the recovery of drowned persons, where they are rewarded by the society with a guinea.
RESURRECTION MEN: Persons employed by the students in anatomy to steal dead bodies out of churchyards.
RUM DOXY: Fine wench.
SHOOT THE CAT: Vomit from excess of liquor.
SHY COCK: One who keeps within doors for fear of bailiffs.
SNOOZING KEN: Brothel.
STRIP ME NAKED: Gin.
TIT: Horse or smart little girl.
TWIDDLE-DIDDLES: Testicles.
TWIDDLE POOP: Effeminate-looking fellow.
UNLICKED CUB: Rude, uncouth young fellow.
VAMPER: Stockings.
WINDOW PEEPER: Collector of window tax.
XANTIPPE: Socrates's wife, a shrew or scolding wife.
YELLOW BOYS: Guineas.
ZEDLAND: Great part of the West Country where the letter Z is substituted for S.

Not thrilled with how it's written (interviews strung together) but I'll power through it:
VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave

Have to agree with you. It makes it a bit clunky. And doesn't have the power to pull you in. Would have been better in a narrative format.

250px-Blackholecover.jpg

Brilliant, beautiful and bizarre. It's a graphic novel set in the 70s that is part supernatural, part coming-of-age, part drugs, all done in what appears to be intricate woodblock cuts but might be an elaborate inking style. Just gorgeous to read, I feel guilty flipping through it so quick the detail is exquisite and gorgeously rendered. I can't believe I haven't read this years ago, it was published in 2005. I read excerpts in a graphic novel anthology many years ago, but never the book, it's like being a movie buff and stumbling upon Apocalypse Now ten years too late.

burns-black-hole.gif

And entertaining mind babies...I'm going to conclude the book is strange, but beautiful. :o

The autobiography of broadcaster Danny Baker, once a member of Led Zeppelin for twenty-five minutes, and who refutes long standing allegations he was responsible for the death of Bob Marley.

250px-Blackholecover.jpg

Brilliant, beautiful and bizarre. It's a graphic novel set in the 70s that is part supernatural, part coming-of-age, part drugs, all done in what appears to be intricate woodblock cuts but might be an elaborate inking style. Just gorgeous to read, I feel guilty flipping through it so quick the detail is exquisite and gorgeously rendered. I can't believe I haven't read this years ago, it was published in 2005. I read excerpts in a graphic novel anthology many years ago, but never the book, it's like being a movie buff and stumbling upon Apocalypse Now ten years too late.

burns-black-hole.gif

And entertaining mind babies...I'm going to conclude the book is strange, but beautiful. :o
its a comic, right?
someone reccomended to me years ago, I think :confused: forgot about it, never checked it out
always meant to :o
anyways, myself? found a place here to check out books from and am currently reading:
Coyoteblue_lg.jpg

its awesome, as are all of his books :)

View attachment 16104
Sequel to Let the Right One In.
Part of a short stories collection.
Worth a read.
Regards,
FWD

51hS%2BTb1i5L._SS500_.jpg

Special Exits. It's a graphic memoir (The longest I've ever read, or at least it took a long time to read. Plodding and detailed.) about a woman dealing with the day-to-day details of her parents who are getting old and denying their age. Fighting to get them to see a doctor then regretting taking them to the hospital to do pointless tests. Cleaning up and caring for them and their memories interspersed in between. Heavy stuff. :tears:

I just finished a book about conspiracy theories.Not that I necessarily believe in them.But it was an interesting read.It does make you think about things from a different perspective.

I am about to start January First.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom