What do most Smiths fans think of the Stone Roses?

> Love em?

About ten years ago (OMG, it's been 10 years!?) I had gotten tickets to a show they were planning on doing here in California- it was an odd venue, for about 2500 people in a school gym. Then about 2 days prior to the show, I heard on the local radio station, that USED to kick ass, that the show had been cancelled indefinitely. I finally returned my tickets for a refund about a month later when I heard nothing else on them. But quite honestly I have no idea where my CD went that I had, and I haven't ever gotten a replacement. But I loved them, to answer your question.

TA!

> Love em?

love the guitars throughout, especially "i wanna be adored" (a friend at the time thought it was "i wanna be a door") and "she bangs the drums".

I ADORE THE STONE ROSES A GREAT BAND.

WENT TO SEE THEM 88-89 I THINK BIRMINGHAM IRISH CENTRE.

GREAT BAND..ITS A SHAME IAN BROWN TURNED INTO SUCH A KNOB...I WENT TO READING WHEN HE STARTED ACTING A PRICK 1995-96 I THINK.LAST ROSES GIG I THINK IN UK??

> About ten years ago (OMG, it's been 10 years!?) I had gotten
> tickets to a show they were planning on doing here in
> California- it was an odd venue, for about 2500 people in a
> school gym. Then about 2 days prior to the show, I heard on the
> local radio station, that USED to kick ass, that the show had
> been cancelled indefinitely. I finally returned my tickets for a
> refund about a month later when I heard nothing else on them.
> But quite honestly I have no idea where my CD went that I had,
> and I haven't ever gotten a replacement. But I loved them, to
> answer your question.

> TA!

I think the Stone Roses went downhill with the release of "Second Coming". It seemed as if they were jumping on some bluesy bandwagon and not creating trends as they did with their earlier work. The first album and any singles preceeding that are great!

> Love em?

> Love em?

No, not at all.

The singer is like a BIG monkey, a retarded monkey at that.

He is INCREDIBLY untalented, all he does is copy The Oasis!

I think you will find liam ripped of ian brown 1st ;0)

> No, not at all.

> The singer is like a BIG monkey, a retarded monkey at that.

> He is INCREDIBLY untalented, all he does is copy The Oasis!

> I think you will find liam ripped of ian brown 1st ;0)

Yes, I agree- Bitter, are you aware that Stone Roses were around in late 80's early 90's? Oasis (as far as my small knowledge of their types go- never really liked them...) came into their musical/ brotherly love/ hate in mid to recent 90's...but then again, I have no idea really. I just gage it on what I was doing and when...it is a time line for me when music is involved. That's why I can almost ALWAYS get that year right when Dateline does it's Timeline thing if a musical question is involved. Go figure!

Ta.

LIAM DECIDE HE WANTED TO BE IN A BAND AFTER SEEING THE STONE ROSES LEGENDARY SPIKE ISLAND GIG.......

HE ALWAYS RIPPED OFF IAN BROWN FROM DAY ONE AND DOES NOT HIDE THE FACT

> Yes, I agree- Bitter, are you aware that Stone Roses were around

> in late 80's early 90's? Oasis (as far as my small knowledge of
> their types go- never really liked them...) came into their
> musical/ brotherly love/ hate in mid to recent 90's...but then
> again, I have no idea really. I just gage it on what I was doing
> and when...it is a time line for me when music is involved.
> That's why I can almost ALWAYS get that year right when Dateline
> does it's Timeline thing if a musical question is involved. Go
> figure!

> Ta.

You've got it all mixed up.

> No, not at all.

"The Stone Roses" is still my favourite LP--the American release, with "Fools Gold" on it. As a single album, track for track, it might be the one perfect album I've ever been lucky enough to own (although "The Queen is Dead" comes close). I can't think of another contemporary album that so marvelously captured the beauty and exuberance of youth like "The Stone Roses." A listen to "Elephant Stone" feels like flying. As an album, it's better even than any one thing that the Smiths have ever released although admittedly, the Smiths' catalogue bests the Stone Roses'. If you think the Roses were no good, that's your opinion but at least give them another listen. "She Bangs the Drums" still gives me goosebumps when I really sit and listen. Listen to the guitars of "I Wanna Be Adored," the ageless melody of "Waterfall," the drumming on "Bye Bye Badman" (Reni was the best and grooviest drummer ever to be recorded), the effortless cool of "Shoot You Down"... I could go on and on. Do you know what it was like to hear the Stone Roses play Fools Gold for the first time?

> The singer is like a BIG monkey, a retarded monkey at that.

A lot of people share your view, but I remember what it was like to hear Ian Brown for the first time. He had a very distinct voice, and all those religious references in his lyrics only added to the Roses' mystique and special quality.

To this day, I see him as a sort of musical guru-like iconic figure. He's so grounded, positive, and full of humility. There's something terribly precious about someone as genuine as he is. Sure, he's not "Ian Brown of the Stone Roses" anymore, but he's still part of an incredible legacy that we've yet to see the end of.

> He is INCREDIBLY untalented, all he does is copy The Oasis!

There would be no Liam Gallagher (as we know him) if not for Ian Brown. Liam's stage presence has developed quite a bit, but its origination is in mimicking Ian Brown. Ian can't dance, he can't sing, but we all still love 'im because he's real and he can still pull out good tunes. His track with DJ Shadow (U.N.K.L.E.) is one of my faves solely because of the beauty of Ian's voice. It was nothing much before Ian transformed it. He doesn't have to be a conventional singer. His dark, grainy voice makes my thighs tremble with excitement.

Think about reconsidering your hasty castigation. The Stone Roses, in their heyday, was more special than any other band that I can think of, The Smiths included. The Smiths' style was cool because they somehow melded a retro chic (many of Johnny Marr's Smiths pictures could well have been of any guitarist in any sixties or seventies band) with a modern outlook. The Stone Roses was simply youth, zest, and modernity to the bone. What the Smiths started, the Stone Roses propelled into the stars.

To try to explain to you how extraordinary I think "The Stone Roses" LP is, it takes the entire Smiths catalogue--which I feel is the best in all of popular music; better than the Beatles--for them to come out on top as best band overall, but the Roses place a very close second with just a couple of LP's and a few scattered singles.

When I read your message, I just had to reply.

Kisses.

Details, details...

> HE ALWAYS RIPPED OFF IAN BROWN FROM DAY ONE AND DOES NOT HIDE
> THE FACT

Liam admitted to buying four copies of "The Stone Roses" album, simply "out of respect."

Kisses.

> Love em?
yep
john squire is my hero (along with morrissey of course :p)

Re: I was only joking when I said.........

You know, with these Simian types, how hard it is to tell them apart, unless you're Sigourney in the mist.

It was just my little joke.

they did an extraordinary first album... but afterwards they weren't that lucky...

> Love em?

Loved their first album! 1998 they were tops! Didn't they have a scwabble with their record label and we had to wait years for any new release which kinda killed all the momentum for their second, which is good but never lived up to that initial LP!

Sincerely,

Flo
www.52media.com
wake up from the nap
[email protected]
23830652 icq
universlno52 aim

http://www.52media.com

I LUV , 'The Stone Roses'

That first album is GOLD! 'I wanna b adored' still leaves me intoxicated after all theses yrs. 'I wanna B..' and Primal Screams, 'Higher Than The Sun' r just as classic as, 'How Soon Is Now', I feel. Do look into, 'Aziz' This is a new group consisting of Aziz from, 'The Roses' and Andy and Mike from , 'The Smiths' They hwave a GR8 website with soundfiles and all. Aziz e-mailed me and said the Aziz album will b out NEXT MONTH, March!

Brilliant! - i once served Ian Brown with a pair of gold earrings in H. Samuel on Market street ,Manchester. I was drawn to him because he looked "like a scally".
I was at the time a fan - but due to little media coverage , i did not recognise him. At the time H.Samuel did not sell single earrings(for men), so he purchased
a pair - and offered me the spare one. I declined (sackable offence)- only to kick myself when the media explosion put him in every mag & on the television.
That would have been a unique trinket! - who would have believed me though?

Back
Top Bottom