Moz and animal rights

lilikoi

I'm curious to know how his activism for animal rights has influenced his fans. He recently got an award from Peta, he's included animal rights relevant scenes in early videos (everyday is like sunday, interesting drug), he asks people to join Peta on the ringleaders CD, he put a Peta film on the Manchester DVD. Did anyone watch it? So, did this have any effect on anyone here? Did anyone turn vegetarian because of Moz?

Also, since England seems to be the country with the most veggies, I wonder if the Smiths 'meat is murder' hat something to do with that, since they were so huge there in the 80ies. What do you think?

I was a vegetarian before I became a fan, but it is a big part of why I admire him.

In an interview it was said that Meat is Murder converted more people into vegetarianism than any other statement ever. I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm curious to know if the phrase meat is murder was actually invented by him, or if it was said by anone before him. Does anybody know?

I turned vegeterian because of Moz!
Interesting that you say England is the country with most veggies, I'm not sure if that's true:p

'meat is murder' is the ultimate animal rights slogan, so I don't think he invented that one ;-)
I don't know, many people told me that England, and second the States, is best for veggies, has the most vegan products and restaurants and so on.
Anyway, if the Smith had this kind of impact and managed to make people think - I find that really cool!

Anyway, if the Smith had this kind of impact and managed to make people think - I find that really cool!

Yes because it proves that it really does matter. Words change the world! :)

I think the animals rights thing also came with the whole punk movement though didn't it? So that might be a part of the explanation too.

u don't have to be vegetarian to join peta i think..correct approach may be being vegetarian but most of young ones thinks peta is vegetarian or vegan based.i will appreciate vegetarians indeed

At the end of one of his concerts in the US, I think in 2002, he sang Meat is Murder and then said, "or, as Gertrude Stein would say, Murder in the Kitchen." Although I just looked up who she was (geek that I am) and it appears it was actually her companion Alice Toklas who wrote that in a Cookbook, with that as the introductory chapter, back in 1954.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much influence someone can have with the vegetarian matter; I think unless a person was already inclined to sympathise and do something about it, they won't be persuaded. I encouraged a few of my friends to turn veggie, but that was only after they were already quite seriously considering it. Whereas I know plenty of people who say they couldn't possibly give up meat and they would never be persuaded in a million years, especially not by a song.

At the end of one of his concerts in the US, I think in 2002, he sang Meat is Murder and then said, "or, as Gertrude Stein would say, Murder in the Kitchen." Although I just looked up who she was (geek that I am) and it appears it was actually her companion Alice Toklas who wrote that in a Cookbook, with that as the introductory chapter, back in 1954.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much influence someone can have with the vegetarian matter; I think unless a person was already inclined to sympathise and do something about it, they won't be persuaded. I encouraged a few of my friends to turn veggie, but that was only after they were already quite seriously considering it. Whereas I know plenty of people who say they couldn't possibly give up meat and they would never be persuaded in a million years, especially not by a song.

No it really does matter. There might be some people who can't be persuaded, but if people keep speaking up about it, it will be more and more common. Because the arguments can't really be defeated. It's just a matter of getting everybody to realize it and accept it.

I know a lot of people who turned vegetarian under Morrissey's influence. I don't know if they were previously inclined to it or not but he certainly pushed the right buttons to get them there. Some of them dropped it after few years (those that mainly did it for Morrissey and not for the "reason" itself) but most still practice it. I wouldn't know whether his "meat is murder" appeal had the same effect on his fanbase in other parts of the world but it was quite significant here, especially in his late Smiths-early solo years.

No it really does matter. There might be some people who can't be persuaded, but if people keep speaking up about it, it will be more and more common. Because the arguments can't really be defeated. It's just a matter of getting everybody to realize it and accept it.

I couldn't agree with you more on being out-spoken about it, but I know an awful lot of obstinant people and it seems the more comments I've made to them, the more determined they are to carry on enjoying meat. And even when I go into details of the cruelty involved, they actually don't seem to mind the origins of their food. One of my friends was veggie for six months and then said she gave up because she 'didn't see the point'; I was quite offended by that and found her defeated attitude quite sad. And then some of my friends kind of look at me with a sympathetic smile but go home and enjoy their roast dinners still. I guess I take the position that people will make up their own minds and it can actually turn people against you if you start preaching morals to them. I just wear my Meat is Murder t-shirt with pride though and hope it brings some pangs of guilt!

As for the effect the Smiths had at the time, I can't really comment because I was too young to experience it!

I've not seen this. Where is it on the DVD??

You'll probably have to download it from somewhere if you've got the English version. It's not pleasant viewing so if you're already a vegetarian I wouldn't bother.

As for pop stars influencing vegetarianism. Paul McCartney and his widdow have probably influenced more people than Moz but fair play to our man for trying.

I'm a vegetarian but my main reasons are over farming methods than anything else. Speaking of which, you should be careful of where you find your Soya as those that farm it are often responsible for extreme wrongs.

You'll probably have to download it from somewhere if you've got the English version. It's not pleasant viewing so if you're already a vegetarian I wouldn't bother.

I have it...and refuse to watch it :(

the Peta 'meet you meat' video is supposed to be on the US version of the Manchester DVD. on the european version it is only mentioned with a download link. which I found bizarre. I read that on the DVD insert and expected to find the video somewhere on there, I thought maybe he played it on the video wall at his concert. and I found nothing - and was surprised to have it mentioned out of context like that. but then I read it is supposed to be on the US version. why only on the US version nobody knows.

I couldn't agree with you more on being out-spoken about it, but I know an awful lot of obstinant people and it seems the more comments I've made to them, the more determined they are to carry on enjoying meat. And even when I go into details of the cruelty involved, they actually don't seem to mind the origins of their food. One of my friends was veggie for six months and then said she gave up because she 'didn't see the point'; I was quite offended by that and found her defeated attitude quite sad. And then some of my friends kind of look at me with a sympathetic smile but go home and enjoy their roast dinners still. I guess I take the position that people will make up their own minds and it can actually turn people against you if you start preaching morals to them. I just wear my Meat is Murder t-shirt with pride though and hope it brings some pangs of guilt!

As for the effect the Smiths had at the time, I can't really comment because I was too young to experience it!

I understand that on a personal level it can be very exhausting. I struggle with that too. But the reason why people get annoyed is that they know it is wrong, and that is important to remember. If you are making someone feel guilty then you have already achieved something. You probably can't convert every single person you meet but on a broader scale, just simply being vegetarian puts it out there and makes people think twice.
Also it is important not immediately be aggressive in trying to convince people. That will just make them defensive and unwilling to listen. All you have to do is present the argument to them, an argument that can not be defeated. It's as simple as that.

I was a vegan before I'd even heard of him, but his vegetarianism and support for animal rights is one of my favourite things about him <333

Back
Top Bottom