Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

I am feeling somewhat maudlin. Also, what do those green bars below the custom user title mean? If I hover over it it says "x is on a distinguished road".

EDIT: It never would have occurred to me to research the origins of the word 'maudlin' until literally minutes ago, but it's actually quite interesting.

Origin:
1500–10; special use of Maudlin, Middle English Maudelen ≪ Late Latin Magdalēnē < Greek Magdalēnḗ Mary Magdalene, portrayed in art as a weeping penitent.
(from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/maudlin)

I always wondered why Magdalen College was pronounced oddly.

Last edited:
Just the couch, dear? :p

:eek: Miss Davie!! :p

Okay so I have never heard The Strokes but I am in love with the song Morrissey plays before, it's a video actually. My next trip to Amoeba I'd like to pick up an album.

Last edited:
I am feeling somewhat maudlin. Also, what do those green bars below the custom user title mean? If I hover over it it says "x is on a distinguished road".

EDIT: It never would have occurred to me to research the origins of the word 'maudlin' until literally minutes ago, but it's actually quite interesting.

Origin:
1500–10; special use of Maudlin, Middle English Maudelen ≪ Late Latin Magdalēnē < Greek Magdalēnḗ Mary Magdalene, portrayed in art as a weeping penitent.
(from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/maudlin)

I always wondered why Magdalen College was pronounced oddly.

Do you want to know why she weeps?

haha, she'd kill me with one of her threatening looks :D

Today I am exhausted, barely eaten and I've been working the entire day! So I'm chilling out to The Smiths remastered stuff and I think Johnny Marr has done an excellent job, dare I say it :p

Tonight at Thanksgiving dinner I learned that my Aunt Janet, who happens to be the sweetest, quiet, Christian, most normal member of my family, sits down with her grandchildren (my second cousins) and watches Animal Cops. :eek: I can't even watch that show! It exposes idiots who abuse and neglect their animals and often it doesn't end well for the animal. I cry every time. But she has them watch it so they'll see what terrible people do, and that the animals can be saved. I thought that was so cool.

Okay so I have never heard The Strokes but I am in love with the song Morrissey plays before, it's a video actually. My next trip to Amoeba I'd like to pick up an album.

Okay so I feel like an uncool idiot.

I'm lying in bed unable to sleep with the gonna-drive-to-Vegas-in-an-hour-Gary-glitter-jitters when it dawned on me I could YouTube that new song I love and kind of have stuck in my head. The Strokes are some modern Indy band. :squiffy: What are they called? Stokes? Spokes? It's something like that but google isn't delivering. Some of the lyrics are don't turn your back on mother nature I think...

This is why I feel so uncool in the record section of Amoeba. :p I need a music nerd to shadow behind and teach me this classic stuff.

Okay so I feel like an uncool idiot.

I'm lying in bed unable to sleep with the gonna-drive-to-Vegas-in-an-hour-Gary-glitter-jitters when it dawned on me I could YouTube that new song I love and kind of have stuck in my head. The Strokes are some modern Indy band. :squiffy: What are they called? Stokes? Spokes? It's something like that but google isn't delivering. Some of the lyrics are don't turn your back on mother nature I think...

This is why I feel so uncool in the record section of Amoeba. :p I need a music nerd to shadow behind and teach me this classic stuff.[/QUOTE

So, it's a Strokes song Morrissey played before he came on? Sure it wasn't Sparks 'Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth'? Apologies, if I am totally wrong - hope you find the song :)

So, it's a Strokes song Morrissey played before he came on? Sure it wasn't Sparks 'Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth'? Apologies, if I am totally wrong - hope you find the song :)

Yes that is it. :p Love that song. Can't imagine why I get my strokes and my sparks confused. ;)

I 'suck' according to this new reputations feature. I'm getting nostalgic; It's like Year 4 all over again. Ah, those were the days. "What you say is what you are" and all that. :D

Also, I really should do some work as I have four assignments to hand in within the next 3 weeks, but instead I've been having a DVD marathon in bed- Juno, Adam Hills and now onto The League of Gentlemen.

I am just 6 hours from my first Morrissey concert.

Hope you have a great time. :)

I 'suck' according to this new reputations feature. I'm getting nostalgic; It's like Year 4 all over again. Ah, those were the days. "What you say is what you are" and all that. :D

Also, I really should do some work as I have four assignments to hand in within the next 3 weeks, but instead I've been having a DVD marathon in bed- Juno, Adam Hills and now onto The League of Gentlemen.

Hope you have a great time. :)

Why are you an unknown quantity? How do you know when to click the star? Is it based on contribution, or amusement or just because? If it's just because, I'll click your star!

Why are you an unknown quantity? How do you know when to click the star? Is it based on contribution, or amusement or just because? If it's just because, I'll click your star!

I don't know- I think that you start out with a fairly positive rating (the "distinguished road") and then if someone gives you a negative rating (accompanied with a comment such as "you suck" or whatever), it goes down. I think clicking the star to give a +point to someone's reputation is a bit like clicking the 'like' button on a facebook post- generally agreeing with them or the general gist of their post, but you can give ratings just because if you want. And thanks!

I don't know- I think that you start out with a fairly positive rating (the "distinguished road") and then if someone gives you a negative rating (accompanied with a comment such as "you suck" or whatever), it goes down. I think clicking the star to give a +point to someone's reputation is a bit like clicking the 'like' button on a facebook post- generally agreeing with them or the general gist of their post, but you can give ratings just because if you want. And thanks!

Ah yes. It is approve or disapprove of the post. Well, I've done my bit. The rest is up to you. :D

That has to be one of the dumbest, most useless pieces of forum software I've ever seen. I can't see what purpose it serves except to brand the undesirables and award the apple-polishers. It facilitates the herd mentality to no end.

Who in the hell cares what "status" they are given by the rest of the people here? Is everyone 12 years old? The point of the forum is to discuss things and debate different aspects and views; inevitably there will be arguing and dissent. Why does this "distinguished road" bullshit even factor in?

"Uh oh, I had better watch what I say, someone might give me a bad click."

Given the majority of those bearing "Distinguished Road" status, I'm quite happy to be an unknown quantity. Some of my favorite people in life have been unknown quantities.

Ask Lenny Bruce how much sleep he lost over being an unknown quantity.

I'm not too keen on it either to be honest, and also feel it's rather pointless. It doesn't bother me at all what my 'reputation' on an internet forum is, I just found it funny that people use it to anonymously insult others in quite a juvenile way.

I think someone should start a thread about Morrissey as a religious icon, if not in word certainly in deed.

I am surprised at how many fans speak about him with almost religious reverence, possibly without even realising it.

I would do it myself but I suspect it won't get lift off.

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom