Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

The correlation between celebrity/religion is theorised in academic writing on fan studies. There has been a couple of papers and book chapters on Morrissey fans and religion published recently.
I agree that it is interesting, although it is not something I am entirely comfortable with.

My understanding in the realms of the fandom being a faux religion has always been the devotion that fans show and that fans form a congregation to worship (almost) at the altar of a celebrity, concerts as a modern day mass etc. What sort of struck me is how much people relate to Morrissey as a supernatural figure. I guess for me it is changing the focus of behaviour of fans to the supposed behaviour of the celebrity (real or imagined and the interpretation).

I'll admit, I've not kept up to date with academic writing on the subject so maybe this is just new and novel to me and old hat for everyone else (wouldn't be the first time! :D).

Sorry, Crystal I'm sort of not including you in this group as your beliefs are much stronger than what most fans would consider (ie Morrissey is the second coming of Jesus or relating him to be the embodiment of Adam and 'the Source' as you put it.)

Why does it give you discomfort?

Christ, should I just start a thread? I might include some of the posts here if that is OK. If not, let me know and I'll amend my post.

Last edited:
Thanks you for visiting my neighborhood, Morrissey. It was lovely sensing you were near. :sweet: Have fun in brrrrrrrrrrrbank and peek at all of Isis's crowns in Glendale, she was busy busy busy in the haties. :D

Sorry. I'm getting totally reamed on the mainpage. I'm crabby. :o

That's ok. :) It goes without saying that I welcome your contribution to the discussion. Regardless, as expected it's not piquing anyone's interest!

(BTW, take no notice of those on the front page. They very rarely are able to engage in proper discourse.)

That's ok. :) It goes without saying that I welcome your contribution to the discussion. Regardless, as expected it's not piquing anyone's interest!

(BTW, take no notice of those on the front page. They very rarely are able to engage in proper discourse.)

Exactly that's why there is the front page....then the forum!
I just ate a killer popadom! :(

Thanks. I actually have thoughts on it that aren't too weird. I'll try to package them up in my brain on the bikeride I'm about to take to unwind and contribute to your conversation.

OMG!! Singing Justin Bieber toothbrush! Need one of those for christmas. It will be a dance spectacular every morning in the bathroom. With strobe lighting and a special guest!

My car is out of commish so a friend is picking me up to housesit her house. I just hate being at the mercy of others. And I love driving, its defrag for my brain time. Oh well. Two weeks sans wheels. I can make it.

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom