What concert/show are you going to go to next?

My friend wants me to do Sleater Kinney and Decemberists back to back in May. Too much hipster in a 48 hour period, I'm going to have to select one. :D

Patti Smith and Pinback early February. I wanted to do mini-vacay and see Pinback in SLO but I guess I agreed to feed my neighbor's cat so I'll go to Santa Ana bleh. (SLO Brew is one of my favorite venues. I learned to play pool while feeding a jukebox for hours in that room before it was a stage.)

and were staying in sleepy hollow for the weekend. should be good though ive never been to the town. if anyone has any been before be sure to let me know of some things i might be missing

I hate the Shrine Auditorium. Interpol and BTS both announce shows at the Shrine in April. :straightface:

LA people who haven't been to the Ace Hotel Theater, it's quite remarkable. I'd recommend it, I bet you a dollar Moz does a show there next time. I'm a little bummed I'm going to miss the Sparks Kimono shows as I'm working that weekend but you should go for sure. I think The Decemberists and Belle and Sebastian are slated to play it soon. The staff is DUMB DUMB DUMB now as they're sorta new at it, it's so easy to sneak into the orchestra, they'll probably figure it out soon.

Patti was shy tonight, barely came to our side of the stage. f***ing incredible show, she dedicated Redondo Beach to Morrissey, I just about had a heart attack. Then John was manically looking for him and thought he saw him wearing baby blue and looked again and said he didn't think it was him, that he was too young looking. He was determined to have me meet him, then his Molly kicked in. It was sooooooooo fun. And weird. People are tweeting he was there though, I was sorta in the zone a lot tonight.

16247637639_cf896722cf_b.jpg

16247989697_6ca8fe2461_b.jpg

16432133841_8b33847d25_b.jpg

16247665579_567c5482a4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sorta interested in seeing William Idol sing his new album about underground kings and queens...provided he sings rebel yell and white wedding too. :D

trying to get replacement tickets for d.c but didnt manage the presale so hopefully ill get two at ten in the morn. heres hoping as this is one i need to scratch off of my list

My friend Nick sings his songs twice a year at Gengis Cohen. Tomorrow is one of those twices. I just go for the cheesecake afterward at Canters. :D

This is his album cover.

3be76e2717bf64e32924692c5741eb2b24d665f5

You may know him from the world of professional poker. This is his poker face. :D

Nick%20Bognar.jpg

While he's singing I always sit and think, "I could totally do this. Learn some chords, put some rhymes together...easy." I think it takes balls to sing in front of people. I have a LOT of respect for musicians who sing their own poetry. He packs the place with his family and friends, I'd be MORTIFIED if my mom and dad heard my poetry and grilled me on it after.

Last edited:
i think it was kim gordan, whos new book is great, who once said anyone can do what we do they just dont. people come and pay money to basically see people being confident, more confident than they. in a general sense i think this to be true. i mean look at older movies shows, everyone was dancing and singing somewhat competently so why can we?

also, same i have a lot of respect for people who try and often do my best to encourage people in there attempts. many people get squashed before they can even find the confidence to evolve or get better. i always like to encourage that

i think it was kim gordan, whos new book is great, who once said anyone can do what we do they just dont. people come and pay money to basically see people being confident, more confident than they. in a general sense i think this to be true. i mean look at older movies shows, everyone was dancing and singing somewhat competently so why can we?

also, same i have a lot of respect for people who try and often do my best to encourage people in there attempts. many people get squashed before they can even find the confidence to evolve or get better. i always like to encourage that

Nick posted this today, sorta sums up the story of my life. :D

1441442_944448158933318_4450366638435204956_n.jpg

You get to a point where you don't care if people care and it translates as confidence...but you're still not confident, you just are driving a car somebody bigger picked out for you and doing the best you can.

I heard on Mark in the Morning on 100.3 this morning an interview with a guy nominated for film editing on a CLint Eastwood film. He flew in from Australia where he was working on a movie for the nomination, a 14 hour one-way trip. He kept reitterating that winning isn't key, just being nominated and acknowledged by your peers is the important part. Music doesn't really have that, it's all controlled by labels and shitty magazines apart from peers. I imagine moz laments mostly that there isn't a venue or outfit peer-driven that honors musicianship, he has to keep putting out his soul for media to tear up and spit out. It's fierce and thankless, but at the end of day you're left wondering "Well, did you like it?" but there's "you" to turn to. I could be wrong.

"You get to a point where you don't care if people care and it translates as confidence...but you're still not confident.." this is really applicable to me and to take it further "they" then think you want to compete or impress and honestly im much more impressed by sincerity and honesty than knowledge which seems to read as intelligence to some people. i spend a lot of time trying to make myself look less impressive to others just to avoid all the hassle. its also a good test to see if someone has something of substance to say or if they just like name checking or quoting which all seems pointless to me. in retrospect i am a confident person but this took a lot of active work and even though im a confident person it still doesnt mean that i have no insecurities. like i hate having my pic taken or shown to anyone. putting pics of myself out for the public was one of the last big hurdles for me and i only accomplished it through a lot of encouragement from those around me as i got nothing but grief for it. lots of encouragement. i mean i went to my mothers house and burned every pic of me as a child that she hadnt hidden from me it was that bad. she cried but i couldnt stand it to exist.

Back
Top Bottom