"BOXERS" Is Not About Boxers

I

Ian Edwards

I may not be the first to think this up. But I think the song "Boxers" is about Jake, who was an ex-boxer himself. Actually I think "Sunny" is Jake too, for the boxer in the video has SUNNY pasted on his back. So the Boxers song seems rather a love song "will time never pass for us" to Jake; however, it also inspires a feeling of loss on Morrissey's part. Throw in Sunny, A Swallow On my neck, the cover of Moon River, Whatever Happens I Love You, Best Friend on The payroll, The Operation, and you get several delightfully beautiful and painfully meaningful paeans to the story of Jake. Meaningul both universally and personally (of course,Moz). Again, I may not be the first to ponder this.

I actually think "Boxers" is about the forgiveness and patience of loyal fans. "Losing in front of your hometown/the crowd call your name/They love you, all the same." It's a song about failing in the public eye and still being supported and carrying on.

How are "The Operation" and "Sunny" about Jake? What have "they stuck into" Jake? Was he a junkie? Let's hear your interpretations.

> I may not be the first to think this up. But I think the song¿ "Boxers" is about Jake, who was an ex-boxer himself.¿ Actually I think "Sunny" is Jake too, for the boxer in¿ the video has SUNNY pasted on his back. So the Boxers song seems¿ rather a love song "will time never pass for us" to¿ Jake; however, it also inspires a feeling of loss on Morrissey's¿ part. Throw in Sunny, A Swallow On my neck, the cover of Moon¿ River, Whatever Happens I Love You, Best Friend on The payroll,¿ The Operation, and you get several delightfully beautiful and¿ painfully meaningful paeans to the story of Jake. Meaningul both¿ universally and personally (of course,Moz). Again, I may not be¿ the first to ponder this.

You've figured him out.... The man must now begin to worry if he hasn't already.....

Gee, and I thought it was about Boxer shorts like grandpa used to wear! Oh well, my theory is at least more...um....eh....oh, nevermind.

Re: Sunny and Jake

First like I said, in the Boxers video, the main character of the video has "SUNNY" in black letters on his back. Then, in the lyrics to Sunny, there's a reference to boxing/fighting:
So you punched and fell
and you felt embarrased
my heart goes out to you
so I offered love and it was not required
What else can I do?

I don't honestly know if Jake was a junkie. Just the proximity of release dates of Boxers Southpaw and Sunny and the fixation on boxing all throughout lend me to the Jake conclusion. Anyway. But I like Colin's theory on "Boxers". That might be a better intrepretation.

> I may not be the first to think this up. But I think the song¿ "Boxers" is about Jake, who was an ex-boxer himself.¿ Actually I think "Sunny" is Jake too, for the boxer in¿ the video has SUNNY pasted on his back. So the Boxers song seems¿ rather a love song "will time never pass for us" to¿ Jake; however, it also inspires a feeling of loss on Morrissey's¿ part. Throw in Sunny, A Swallow On my neck, the cover of Moon¿ River, Whatever Happens I Love You, Best Friend on The payroll,¿ The Operation, and you get several delightfully beautiful and¿ painfully meaningful paeans to the story of Jake. Meaningul both¿ universally and personally (of course,Moz). Again, I may not be¿ the first to ponder this.

That's a brilliant theory, Ian. I have to go back and listen to those songs again. BTW, his whole fascination with boxers is kinda cute, isn't it? I mean, when we develop a crush on someone, we tend to take an interest in the things they like. Yes, our little man was smitten.

And I'm sorry, but astrologist? Does every personal astrologist to the "stars" also act as bodyguard, chauffer and personal assistant? I think not!

I suppose it could be, but I have no actual evidence that Morrissey was truly in love with this mysterious Jake fellow, except that everyone on these boards assumes it. So, you may be right, but I'm not prepared to believe half his recent catalog is about just this one fellow.

Was Jake on drugs?

I take "Boxers" to be about a boxer, with a little bit of an autobiographical current running through it.

Sorry to be ignorant of a figure in Morrissey's life, but who is Jake?

> Sorry to be ignorant of a figure in Morrissey's life, but who is¿ Jake?

Jake was his assistant/bodyguard/friend, or something. And his toy boy as well, if the whispering is correct.

> That's a brilliant theory, Ian. I have to go back and listen to¿ those songs again. BTW, his whole fascination with boxers is¿ kinda cute, isn't it? I mean, when we develop a crush on¿ someone, we tend to take an interest in the things they like.¿ Yes, our little man was smitten.

Could be. Or it could've been that he got into boxing and then wanted to sleep with a boxer.¿ And I'm sorry, but astrologist? Does every personal astrologist¿ to the "stars" also act as bodyguard, chauffer and¿ personal assistant? I think not!

Where did this come from? I must've missed it in Ian's message. Astrology is for idiots, so obviously Morrissey doesn't have one.

this is my truth, tell me yours

You know, I´ve often thought so myself... about those songs. More so about "Sunny", "The Operation", "The Boy Racer", "Swallow.." etc than "Boxers" though, but there´s people here who´d give one a good spanking for even mentioning that one believes that Moz and Jake had a relationship, and that a lot of the songs from around "Southpaw" can be easily interpteted as being about Jake.
But this is my truth, tell me yours.
Cheers
/ martin¿ I may not be the first to think this up. But I think the song¿ "Boxers" is about Jake, who was an ex-boxer himself.¿ Actually I think "Sunny" is Jake too, for the boxer in¿ the video has SUNNY pasted on his back. So the Boxers song seems¿ rather a love song "will time never pass for us" to¿ Jake; however, it also inspires a feeling of loss on Morrissey's¿ part. Throw in Sunny, A Swallow On my neck, the cover of Moon¿ River, Whatever Happens I Love You, Best Friend on The payroll,¿ The Operation, and you get several delightfully beautiful and¿ painfully meaningful paeans to the story of Jake. Meaningul both¿ universally and personally (of course,Moz). Again, I may not be¿ the first to ponder this.

What Is Your Six Letter Word? Future or F****r?

> I may not be the first to think this up. But I think the song¿ "Boxers" is about Jake, who was an ex-boxer himself.¿ Actually I think "Sunny" is Jake too, for the boxer in¿ the video has SUNNY pasted on his back.

Just a word on the "Sunny" video: it's a blatant interpretation of "Romper Stomper," that skin-head film where two best mates ruin their friendship because of a girl. Anyone notice that? Has no bearing on this discussion, but just thought I'd mention it. BTW, IMO, that video was a rip-off; I mean, Morrissey's not even in it.

Re: this is my truth, tell me yours

> You know, I´ve often thought so myself... about those songs.¿ More so about "Sunny", "The Operation",¿ "The Boy Racer", "Swallow.." etc than¿ "Boxers" though, but there´s people here who´d give¿ one a good spanking for even mentioning that one believes that¿ Moz and Jake had a relationship, and that a lot of the songs¿ from around "Southpaw" can be easily interpteted as¿ being about Jake.¿ But this is my truth, tell me yours.¿ Cheers¿ / martin

Point well-taken, Martin. Guess it goes along with the way most fans or critics will generally approach an artist's most recent work by events that corresponded in their "real" lives--or what rumour has it happened.

But, no matter, you're right. The interpretation one forms will always be more important to the individual, no matter if it's debunked or not. It makes art, music, books, et al more interesting than they probably inherently are. But, then again, that is MY truth.

Cheers,

Jamie

Chasing Jake?

> Just a word on the "Sunny" video: it's a blatant¿ interpretation of "Romper Stomper," that skin-head¿ film where two best mates ruin their friendship because of a¿ girl.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I wonder if Kevin Smith saw Romper Stomper before he made Chasing Amy? Since skinheads aren't exactly copacetic for comedy, insert lesbian = instant comedy.

(Said absolutely tongue in cheek!)

Cheers,

Jamie

things which are funny floating......

>Since skinheads aren't¿ exactly copacetic for comedy, insert lesbian = instant comedy.

Two lesbians floating in space, now that's funny!

($2 to whoever gets the reference!)

Re: things which are funny floating......

> Two lesbians floating in space, now that's funny!¿ ($2 to whoever gets the reference!)

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - one of my all-time faves (Joel's a genius - I'll forgive him that tasteless Morrissey spoof). BTW, can I have the money in the form of a $2 bill? ; )

> Two lesbians floating in space, now that's funny!¿ ($2 to whoever gets the reference!)

> Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - one of my all-time faves (Joel's¿ a genius - I'll forgive him that tasteless Morrissey spoof).¿ BTW, can I have the money in the form of a $2 bill? ; )

Do you take mastercard?

money.gif

Back
Top Bottom