Smiths Demos

Boro_Morrissey

Has anyone got the two demos that the smiths first recorded ?

I was watching "these things take time" and they played a bit of "suffer little children" and they shed that "the hand that rocks the cradle" was also recorded.

Not circulated to my knowledge.

I always found it interesting that the very first two songs Moz and Marr recorded together were the ones that had no real chorus and odd linear structure.

Julia is the only one who has those

Someone gave them to the people who made These Things Take Time, and it probably wasn't Morrissey or Marr since they weren't involved in it - which means that it wasn't Julia as well. She won't give away such things without Morrissey's permission.

So... yeah, probably Mike Joyce. Wonder if he's ever going to keep his promise... I guess that it's not up to him.

Last edited:
It was Mike Joyce who provided the demos to Granada. I know this guy who works in my local record shop, he lives with Simon Goddard and he told me when Goddard was writting the book he got access to a bunch of tapes.

It was Mike Joyce who provided the demos to Granada. I know this guy who works in my local record shop, he lives with Simon Goddard and he told me when Goddard was writting the book he got access to a bunch of tapes.
Well, that was obvious in the book - he knew lots and lots of things about the early versions of the songs, including the unreleased ones ("Matter Of Opinion"). According to this interview http://www.3ammagazine.com/musicarchives/2002_dec/interview_simon_goddard.html there are things he didn't include in the book because it would have been to long. It's interesting to find out what the original lyrics for I Wan't The One I Can't Have were!

Not circulated to my knowledge.

I always found it interesting that the very first two songs Moz and Marr recorded together were the ones that had no real chorus and odd linear structure.

That might be because the music was written to fit the lyrics, and not the other way round. Morrissey wrote Suffer Little Children and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle before he met Marr.

Also interesting is the fact that despite hardly ever been preformed live (once) and (three or four times), there apparently was never any doubt they would be included on the debut album...

The Troy Tate recordings are demos, are they not?

The Troy Tate recordings are demos, are they not?

They weren't demos, but actual recordings produced for their debut album.
It's just that they decided to go with another producer, so it got scrapped.
They not demos, but really finished songs from the earlier session.

Back
Top Bottom