Morrissey's lisp

I don't know about the lisp, but I'm dying to find out how his schoolmates called him back then... How embarrassing could it be?

^^so funny how he perfectly toys with the interviewer about what he does with fans' letters that gush over him being a sex symbol. what a great moment!

It is interesting how his speaking voice has changed. I've an interview with some Australian radio interviewer from 85 or so, and Moz has a rather high pitched and very camp voice which is remarkably different from the lower tone he uses these days.

^^so funny how he perfectly toys with the interviewer about what he does with fans' letters that gush over him being a sex symbol. what a great moment!

And he's obviously aware that people see him as being fragile and delicate, which reminds me of Johnny Marr's recollection of the Smiths - how all three of them instinctively tried to protect Morrissey and keep him as happy as possible. Thought that was cute :)

which is remarkably different from the lower tone he uses these days.

When you put it like that it sounds like he can switch registers on voluntary basis ;)

He still does lisp a bit - listen to when the step-child "says 'there's a law against me now.'"

But yeah, he's such a kid at this age, that highish, rolling monotone and general sense of almost scholarly detatchment...hard to believe he's my age, though it's hard to tell whether he gives the impression of being sixteen or forty.

"In the world of, ehm, popular music, and rock'n'roll if you like..."

I don't think he has much of a lisp, and his voice is definitely not high. It's just back then he was trying to talk in a pseudo posh cultured voice because he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being uneducated. He was trying to act all intelligent and "oscar wilde"ish.

I don't think he has much of a lisp, and his voice is definitely not high. It's just back then he was trying to talk in a pseudo posh cultured voice because he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being uneducated. He was trying to act all intelligent and "oscar wilde"ish.
Now I'm sad :(
Poor thing.
Do you think he was jealous of the rest of the band, them managing to finish grammar schools (well, I don't know about Mike :rolleyes: ) and Moz himself being stuck in St Mary's secondary modern?

Yes, the longer one lasts for about 40 minutes or so. That's where he refuses to tell how they called him in school :)

This isn't the full interview is it i'm sure the one i have is much longer and has no cuts :confused:

Pass. I was just mucking round on youtube looking for his cameo appearance in that soap ( :rolleyes: ), when I came acroth thith and couldn't help being thuprithed about that lithp

Hee, I just noticed this as well the other day. I think he actually does have a bit of a lisp but he's exaggerating it here on purpose (I have a guess on the reason but since I'm new I'll keep quiet about that ;) ). It's such a sweet interview, he seems so young and naive...

Hee, I just noticed this as well the other day. I think he actually does have a bit of a lisp but he's exaggerating it here on purpose (I have a guess on the reason but since I'm new I'll keep quiet about that ;) ). It's such a sweet interview, he seems so young and naive...

Oh, no! Speak your mind, pls.

Well, since you insist ;) I think he's trying to sound gay - notice how he's also using an effeminate tone which he clearly doesn't have in other interviews. (Yes, I know not all gay people talk like that - in fact none of the ones I know do - but I think that's what he's going for :) )
Also, he was in a soap? Do tell!

Now I'm sad :(
Poor thing.
Do you think he was jealous of the rest of the band, them managing to finish grammar schools (well, I don't know about Mike :rolleyes: ) and Moz himself being stuck in St Mary's secondary modern?

No I don't think he was bothered about the band. In the eighties the music press was awash with middle classed boys all trying to outdo each other by trying to be the most esoteric and intellectual. From what I've read, the Manchester music scene, under the guidance of Tony Wilson, was the same. I think Morrissey had a chip on his shoulder about that, and still does to some extent.

I think he was right to have a chip on his shoulder by the way, intellectual lefty types are the biggest snobs you'll ever meet. I just think he went about coping with it in the wrong way, by putting on a fake Oscar Wilde act.

Back
Top Bottom