Cover versions

hatfull

HIM-full
Ok, so cover versions are always a risk of being a total car crash (does anyone remember China Drums version of Wuthering Heights?) but which songs if any would you love to hear Morrissey cover?

Echo & the Bunnymen - Rescue

Walk On The Wild Side by Lou Reed. Nay, I'm not sure how his voice would sound. Maybe Time Of The Season by The Zombies, but it doesn't have the edge, frankly I can't see why he would be doing it except to please me. :rolleyes: I reserve the right to add some other song when I think of it ;)

"Are You Ready To Be Heart-broken?" Lloyd Cole & The Commotions

"Love Is Blind" Pulp

"It's The End Of The World As We Know It" REM

"Safecracker" Trash Can Sinatras

"Northern Sky" Nick Drake

I quite like the idea of New order: 'Blue Monday', I don't know why.

I second "Rescue" by the Bunnymen. Great choice.

Or "The Revolutionary Spirit" by The Wild Swans or "Greetings To The New Brunette" by William Bragg.

And of course I think we'd all love to hear his cover version of "Getting Away With It" by a certain Mancunian supergroup.

Pulp- Help The Aged (he can change a line or two to say 'help me')

Roxy Music- errrrrr can't decide which one

I third Echo & the Bunnymen- Rescue

The minor problem being that he thought the song and the album were crap...

Nah. Roman Polanski had a minor problem. This, this is nothing. We're talking about a man who insisted on covering Cilla Black. He can cover Electronic, if only to spite his "severed ally".

Nah. Roman Polanski had a minor problem. This, this is nothing. We're talking about a man who insisted on covering Cilla Black. He can cover Electronic, if only to spite his "severed ally".
but you see, the difference is he liked Cilla Black.

he would hardly spite him, would he? if anything, it would mean he appreciates the song... contrary to his previous statements.

Yes Worm, but Moz slagged B Sumners voice off on that album didn't he? To the point that BS said if he ever met Morrissey he "would tw@t him" so I really doubt it he would give him the ego boost his career (does he still have one?) possibly needs (sorry Vivassy).

But saying that, this thread is to discuss what we'd like to hear him sing, not what he WILL ACTUALLY sing, so on that basis, and to prove my musical knowledge is as long as my nose here's my suggestion:

Five Get Over Excited by The HouseMartins.

Why? I hear no one ask:

Firstly it is a fun, upbeat song and would take our man's doubters by surprise and secondly, some of the lyrics are right up his street (on which he ran):

"James Dean posters on the wall" and

"I am a guy from Camden Town" and then finally, the best early sign of the genius that is Paul Heaton:

"Feigning concern, a conservative pastime
Makes you feel doubtful right from the start
The expression she pulls is exactlly like last time
You’ve got to conclude she just hasn’t a heart"

Sorry to have bothered you, please carry on.:)

"Some Time in The Morning" - The Monkees
Just listen to it, you can imagine his voice singing, especially the middle 8

"Cruelest Crime" - Patrick Fitzgerald
('Time after time after time, I'm left with my face in the slime')

"Tired Of My Life" - David Bowie
Early demo that was the basis of 'It's No Game'

Nothing takes the place of you by Toussaint McCall, oh how I'd love to hear Morrrissey sing that one.

Back
Top Bottom