Salford Lads Club

Alf Button

The Alf in Salford
Having finally made the pilgrimage, I was asked to send a photo taken of myself and legend to the club for inclusion in 'The Smiths Room' - many thanks to Brian for showing me around - but thought why not post here as well and encourage others to do so....it was a strange feeling visiting, like visiting Gracelands if you're of the Elvis persuasion, or a phonebox for Bowie, a tree for Bolan, a lampost for Cochran etc. Because we must.....

Truly I despair,
Maybe this post wasn't inane enough for the masses - which shirt should Morrissey never have worn?, which of his eyebrows do you prefer?, if he asked you to go caravanning in Cleethorpes with Chris Eubank would you go?... Or because I wasn't on the take - can anyone upload the whole of Morrissey's back catalogue please etc.....
I expected some response, the reasons for the thread were part braggard and part inspired - braggard because I made it there, and had a rather nice collection of pictures and postcards from the day, and inspired because of seeing such a diverse and eclectic gathering of people from every corner who had also made the journey....illustrated by 'The Smiths room' with it's array of portraits and comments , I just thought and hoped maybe we could have recreated that room somewhat.....

congrats and very well put.

i've imagined it like graceland.

i'm not sure what morrissey shirt you should have worn.

i don't think there is one, so whichever is your favorite.

I to made a similar pilgrimage and visited the Iron Bridge, 384 Kings Road, Strangeways, Cemetry Gates, Holy name Church and the infamous Lad's Club.
Me, Family and mate at the Lad's Club:View attachment 661, I will upload more later! (btw I'm the ugly mug stood in Mike's position, I realise we weren't posing exactly but, we were being surrounded by Salford thugs who weren't very appealing characters) (oh! and what a time my Dad chose to blink)

very clever that Alf lad, I'd never have though of that! Good show.

love

Grim
P.s. did ya spot my pics in the Smiths Room?

IMAGE0006.jpg

I expected some response

Well if you did, you certainly didn't indicate that very clearly :)

I've never been to SLC but once I do, I'll make sure I end up on that wall.

I've been a fan for many, many years but only recently started being interested in places related to Smiths/Moz. I mean, if you live a few thousand miles away from the UK "a rented room in Whalley Range" doesn't mean a lot does it? In any case, I've ordered the "Morrissey Manchester" book and plan my pilgrimage for next year. Won't go on any of those silly organized tours but just walking around might give me another perspective to all those things I've been living with for years!

Originally Posted by Alf Button
I expected some response....
Well if you did, you certainly didn't indicate that very clearly :)

We are all so witty and urbane I never know when sarcasm is being employed.... either way, in my original post I included my picture and hoped to 'encourage others to do so'......

Grim, I did indeed spot your pics, and many other familiar names - if not faces.

Last edited:
I've ordered the "Morrissey Manchester" book and plan my pilgrimage for next year. Won't go on any of those silly organized tours but just walking around might give me another perspective to all those things I've been living with for years!

& blisters mate, Manchester is the 3rd largest City in England, I think Salford is probably the smallest but the tour is a tale of both Cities, plenty of vaseline if you are gonna do it!
Great book choice btw.
Make sure your visit coincides with the Star & Garter Smiths night, usually the 1st Friday of every month.

love

Grim

Truly I despair,
Maybe this post wasn't inane enough for the masses - which shirt should Morrissey never have worn?, which of his eyebrows do you prefer?, if he asked you to go caravanning in Cleethorpes with Chris Eubank would you go?... Or because I wasn't on the take - can anyone upload the whole of Morrissey's back catalogue please etc.....
I expected some response, the reasons for the thread were part braggard and part inspired - braggard because I made it there, and had a rather nice collection of pictures and postcards from the day, and inspired because of seeing such a diverse and eclectic gathering of people from every corner who had also made the journey....illustrated by 'The Smiths room' with it's array of portraits and comments , I just thought and hoped maybe we could have recreated that room somewhat.....

Unsure of your first comments about being inane. I would have found it much more interesting talking about mozzas shirt or discussing his back catalogue, than discussing or looking at what is quite frankly a sad photo of a fan who is re living his youth many years on by visiting a place on the inside of a record sleeve....then actually complaining no one finds it interesting...The audacity of you beggars belief. I would be interested to learn how we could re-create a smiths room akin to the one in the Salford Lads club on a web forum. (well, I wouldnt actually, don't bother answering that) :)

Last edited:
Unsure of your first comments about being inane. I would have found it much more interesting talking about mozzas shirt or discussing his back catalogue, than discussing or looking at what is quite frankly a sad photo of a fan who is re living his youth many years on by visiting a place on the inside of a record sleeve....then actually complaining no one finds it interesting...The audacity of you beggars belief. I would be interested to learn how we could re-create a smiths room akin to the one in the Salford Lads club on a web forum. (well, I wouldnt actually, don't bother answering that) :)

they have one of Mozzers shirts in the Smiths room at SLC if you prefer to talk about clothes.
I think the SLC is a worthy place to make a pilgimmage to, you obviously don't.
Not only is it a Smiths mecca for fans from all over the world, but our donations or every penny spent there helps to keep it going.
So don't just go there for your own pleasure...
do it for the kids!

love

Grim

I love this picture.

Too many people do the group stance thing.

Bit of joyous umph rules!

Good Work!

:D Thanks! 'Joy' was the word!

Did everyone else get plenty of funny looks off the local kids on their bikes? They must think we're cracked.

:(I went to Salford once....got lost twice and pissed off back into Manchester on the bus for a pint.

Had no problem finding this though:

:(I went to Salford once....got lost twice and pissed off back into Manchester on the bus for a pint.

Had no problem finding this though:

It's hard to find!!! We were like, "Oh ho ho. There are enough Morrissey nutters on t'internet - we'll easily find directions." Not so! It was a nightmare. We ended up ringing a taxi. We gave the driver a google map we'd printed and he still had to radio his office-thing and ask various pedestrians for directions! :rolleyes:

By the time we'd found the lads' club, it was evening and we had to go back into town to get pissed before 5th Avenue. So no time to go to Stretford :mad:

Still pleased as punch we made it to the lads' club, though :D

Did the neighbour come out and shout at you? I was reading some magazine article, and the journo had gone round all the important bits of Morrissey's Manchester. Apparently the elderly neighbour came out and started bellowing "'e doesn't live 'ere anymore!"

Back
Top Bottom