Morrissey: Who Put the M (and $) in Manchester? Manchester Morrissey tour

The Seeker of Good Songs

I just read about this. I'm sure the locals already knew.

http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/top/morrissey-who-put-the-m-and--in-manchester-164883.php

Over the years. Morrissey has proved to be surprisingly confident at maturing into an alternative rock statesman of sorts. As a matter of fact, the Manchester native has some fans in his hometown who are doing their best to create a Morrissey tourism industry. Former Inspiral Carpets drummer Craig Gill is the propreitor of Manchester Music Tours (warning: Crappy Flash-a-go-go), who offer a special MozBus that tours through Manchester to Smiths-specific sites like the Salford Lads Club, the Morrissey Mosaic (yup) and Strangeways Prison. In fact, in 2003 Smiths fan Phill Gatenby wrote Morrissey's Manchester: The essential Smiths Tour (sp), a print travel guide dedicated to all things mopey 1980s Mancunian. Thankfully, the Manchester Evening News picked out the good parts:
A Sign of the Time: Find Parkers Hotel near to the foot of the CIS building and you are not far from the site of the road sign which graced the cover of the album, Strangeways Here we Come. It is hardly surprising to note that the sign which graced the album has now been replaced. The original was deemed just too valuable a trophy for some music fan with daffodils in his pocket.
The Main Attraction: Salford Lads Club is known the world over by Smiths fans, who still turn up on the doorstep and take photographs. As well as featuring on the inside cover of the album, The Queen Is Dead, it also provided a focal point for the video to Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before, which saw Morrissey and the band riding through surrounding streets on bicycles.
What More Do You Want: "What do I get for my trouble and pain?" Morrissey asked rhetorically. "Just a rented room in Whalley Range." Given the increasing property prices, that might now not be such a bad thing. The exact address in question is number 35, Mayfield Road, where Morrissey regularly visited Linder Sterling.
Morrissey's Manchester Inspirations [Manchester Evening News]
Manchester Music Tours [Official Site]
Morrissey's Manchester: The essential Smiths Tour [Official Site]

The book that is spoken about in the MEN article Morrissey's Manchester inspirations, does anyone have it, or know where it can be found?? no sign of it on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom