Best 90s Band

Best 90s Band

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
'Whipping Boy' hands down for me. One of the great undiscovered gems of that era. Released some great records before finally imploding in a shower of bad feeling and bitterness. Anyone else a fan?

hmm... well, I really loved Nirvana back then, especially the In Utero phase. At the time of Nevermind I thought they were OK but wasn't mad about them. but when I heard 'Heart-Shaped Box' for the first time it all changed.

Suede is another band I loved - with them I was hooked the moment I heard them... then I went off them and didn't listen to them for a lot of time, but I've rediscovered them again and now I listen to them very often. Sadly, they were never the same after Bernard Butler left/was thrown out. :( They did have a good song here and there (Trash, Everything Will Flow) but for the most part I can't bear to listen to Coming Up. But with Butler, they could do no wrong - their first 2 albums were great, as well as Stay Together and the B-sides (i.e. Sci-Fi Lullabies). I didn't think they could surpass their debut, but they did with Dog Man Star... a really amazing album, not an average track on it, and some really magnificent songs like 'The Asphalt World'.

Pulp I didn't like back then, oddly enough - until I heard 'This is Hardcore' (the song, not the album) Now I think they are great. Separations, His'n'Hers and Different Class are excellent albums. This is Hardcore is hit and miss, but the title track os one of my favourite songs of all times.

Smashing Pumpkins had some really great songs, too, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was a wonderful album.

I disliked Blur, and I could never stand Oasis! :eek:

Where is P.J.Harvey?! or is it just that you don't consider her a 'band'. (why not 'best artist' then?)

And even more shocking - how could you not include Massive Attack and Portishead? is it because of a bias towards the guitar-based sound?

I also absolutely LOVE Tindersticks, but I suppose you wouldn't include them because they're just not popular (and hyped) enough.

after much thought, I decided to vote for Suede on the strength of the first part of their career.

I like a lot of these bands but I agree there isn't one that really stands out as GREAT.

I think Belle & Sebastian are one of the best bands of the last 10 years but 'Tigermilk' didn't come out until 1996 so I don't think they really encapsulate the 90's.

I LOVED Suede when they first appeared. The first two albums are great, particularily 'Dog Man Star' which I'd rate as up amougst the very best of all time but it was a process of slow decay as soon as Butler left. By their last couple of releases I'm afraid the music being released under the name Suede was pretty woeful.

I'm going to go for Pavement as my favourite band of the 90's. 'Slanted and Enchanted', 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain' and 'Brighten The Corners' are all classics. I'm not so keen on 'Wowie Zowie' or the final LP but even then they have four or five great tracks on them.

I'm going to go for Pavement as my favourite band of the 90's. 'Slanted and Enchanted', 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain' and 'Brighten The Corners' are all classics. I'm not so keen on 'Wowie Zowie' or the final LP but even then they have four or five great tracks on them.

'Wowie Zowie' has only one good song in my opinion 'At & T' and it is one of my favorite Pavement songs.

I love Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins

But I also want to give an honourable mention to Hole. I don't care what you all say, they were absolute class

I'm tempted to say Oasis, but I'll have to go with Radiohead. I really should say Blur since I spent more time listening to them. Suede deserve a mention too - excellent band.

In truth, I only really like early Blur. 'Leisure' and 'Modern Life Is Rubbish' were both great. I really loved 'Generation Terrorists' by The Manic Street Preachers as well, but then they went and ruined things for me with their later albums which really got my back up.

the manics! even though it was oasis who completely changed my taste in music i now prefer the manics, the holy bible is an incredable album

Oasis, they basically converted a teengirl to British Music, and from that point on, there was no return. No, back then they were big, when Wonderwall came out, my whole school class had forgotten about Take that, to me that's a bit of nostalgia. They had a big effect on the music charts and from that on other bands like Pulp, Blur, Kula Shaker, Suede a faster ticket to fame. That's how I remember it. And man, I loved that period of my life, everyone wanted to go to England and feel the vibe of this British invasion.

The Bear Quartet althought it seems like I'm the only one here listening to them, your funeral.

PIXIES, and i dont care if they started in the late 80s .
pixieeeeeeeeeeeees
pixieeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXIEEEEEEEESSSSS
pixi'iieiqzikhfsbvosiubbvibuf
*faints*

The Manics, definitely. They were the first band i ever really fell in love with completely...everyone has 'their' band, and for me, it'll always be them.

Most of the bands on the list are good bands, but the manics were so unique in their attitude compared to alot of the 'rock n roll lifetsyle' bollocks that most bands spouted alot of the time. I love their down- to-earth way of looking at things, like basically saying, all the things that everyone values are actually completely worthless. They weren't atall bothered about being hated- they really got a kick out of it. They just said it like they saw it, and openly admitted to being complete hypocrites. I just love that kind of honesty.

I preferred them in the GT/ holy bible days, but i still think they are amazing now aswell.

Back
Top Bottom