Why isn't Moz boycotting Norway?

Black Eyed

Isn't he gorgeous !!
I could see reason behind his boycott of Canada and yet he is happy to go to Norway. Are baby seals more appealing than the beautiful giants of the sea....whales?

Japan, Norway and Iceland are exploiting loopholes in the International Whaling Commissions text on whale hunting and recently increased its SELF ALLOCATED quota by 30 % to 1,052 minke whales. Their government now is permitted to harpoon whales within 200 nautical miles of the UK coast.

Its a barbaric disgusting practice that should be stopped. Perhaps another public declaration would have helped the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society's fight. Missed chance there Moz

Well, he's a human being and full of contradiction.:rolleyes:

As a Japanese, I hate the government is endorsing whale hunting. Tiny right-wing minority insists that we need to preserve cultural heritage, although majority of us disagree:mad:

In 2004 Morrissey cancelled festival appearances in Japan. I don't live there, but I was very upset about it. Hope he'll touring there in near future.

Shut up! I'm Norwegian and hates this too, but I'm going to see Morrissey for the first time in my life thursday,so please don't give him any ideas.

Kewpie said:
Well, he's a human being and full of contradiction.:rolleyes:

As a Japanese, I hate the government is endorsing whale hunting. Tiny right-wing minority insists that we need to preserve cultural heritage, although majority of us disagree:mad:

In 2004 Morrissey cancelled festival appearances in Japan. I don't live there, but I was very upset about it. Hope he'll touring there in near future.

That's very interesting, Kewpie - I have always wanted to know what the perspective was of someone FROM Japan. I am always rather horrified by the stories and images that come out of news articles on the whaling industry and Japan is often villified in this issue.

I'm sorry to know that it is the minority that give Japan this image!

Boycotting his fans in Japan just beacuse of the pro-whaling attitudes of the government is a disgrace and it would be if he boycotted Norway too. Its hardly like apartheid south Africa or anywhere like that, what good would be done by not turning up? There are valid reasons to boycot pretty much any country in the world if you think about it for a variety of reasons many far more substantial than the fact that a nation's government happens to like whaling.

For what it's worth I think that the Canada boycott was something that was already happening and Morrissey was asked to join it. I don't think he really picks where he'll play based on that countries policies because he wouldn't be able to play anywhere for one reason or another.

Something needs to be done about the whale killing though, that's for sure.

Whale hunting in Japan is very much political. Politicians don't want to lose support from their local constituency and insist that whales eat fish which causes fish shortages. They also claim that histrically our diet heavily reries on seafood, we have to protect fishing industry as well as food culture.

Those pro-whale hunting people are very annoyed with being criticised by western countries. They say that indiscriminate hunting by those countries actually created the problem.

However, nowadays many of us feel that there are many other things to eat and we should concern about endangered species. I was born and raised in the extream-south part of the country and we don't have a custom to eat whale meat in there. I heard some people had whale meat as a part of school dinner.

I also heard that Greenpeace is using those violent images of whale hunting in order to shift the attentions from some US corporates which do many disgusting things in everywhere.

Kewpie said:
I also heard that Greenpeace is using those violent images of whale hunting in order to shift the attentions from some US corporates which do many disgusting things in everywhere.

That really wouldn't surprise me in the least! Worse yet, so many of these corporations are hand-in-glove (erm..excuse the Smiths reference) with the media that it is impossible to tell fact from fiction. Sometimes its not even worth debating with people just what is the truth...

Whales are beautiful creatures...I certainly couldn't imagine eating one for lunch. Especially from a school cafeteria. Makes me think fondly on my own cafeteria lunch days...

Back
Top Bottom