tell me about the bunnymen

froggy_girl128 said:
Ive recently started listening to echo and the bunnymen. Am sure they will have some fans on here - i know nothing about the band!

sorry, I dont quite have the time to type so I'll just paste this:

Echo & the Bunnymen's dark, swirling fusion of gloomy post-punk and Doors-inspired psychedelia brought the group a handful of British hits in the early '80s, while attracting a cult following in the United States.

The Bunnymen grew out of the Crucial Three, a late-'70s trio featuring vocalist Ian McCulloch, Pete Wylie, and Julian Cope. Cope and Wylie left the group by the end of 1977, forming the Teardrop Explodes and Wah!, respectively. McCulloch met guitarist Will Sergeant in the summer of 1978 and the pair began recording demos with a drum machine which the duo called "Echo." Adding bassist Les Pattinson, the band made its live debut at the Liverpool club Eric's at the end of 1978, calling itself Echo & the Bunnymen.

In March of 1979, the group released its first single, "Pictures on My Wall"/"Read It in Books," on the local Zoo record label. The single and their popular live performances led to a contract with Korova. After signing the contract, the group discarded the drum machine, adding drummer Pete de Freitas.

Released in the summer of 1980, their debut album, Crocodiles, reached number 17 on the U.K. charts. Shine So Hard, an EP released in the fall, became their first record to crack the U.K. Top 40. With the more ambitious and atmospheric Heaven Up Here (1981), the group began to gain momentum, thanks to positive reviews; it became their first U.K. Top Ten album. Two years later, Porcupine appeared, becoming the band's biggest hit (peaking at number two on the U.K. charts) and launching the Top Ten single "The Cutter."

"The Killing Moon" became the group's second Top Ten hit at the beginning of 1984, yet its follow-up, "Silver," didn't make it past number 30 when it was released in May. Ocean Rain was released that same month to great critical acclaim; peaking at number four in Britain, the record became the Bunnymen's first album to chart in the U.S. Top 100. The following year was a quiet one for the band as they released only one new song, "Bring on the Dancing Horses," which was included on the compilation Songs to Learn & Sing. De Freitas left the band at the start of 1986 and was replaced by former Haircut 100 drummer Mark Fox; by September, de Freitas rejoined the group.

Echo & the Bunnymen returned with new material in the summer of 1987, releasing the single "The Game" and a self-titled album. Echo & the Bunnymen became their biggest American hit, peaking at number 51; it was a success in England as well, reaching number four. However, the album indicated that the group was in a musical holding pattern. At the end of 1988, McCulloch left the band to pursue a solo career; the rest of the band decided to continue without the singer. Tragedy hit the band in the summer of 1989 when de Freitas was killed in an auto accident. McCulloch released his first solo album, Candleland, in the fall of 1989; it peaked at number 18 in the U.K. and number 159 in the U.S. Echo & the Bunnymen released Reverberation, their first album recorded without McCulloch, in 1990; it failed to make the charts. McCulloch released his second solo album, Mysterio, in 1992. Two years later, McCulloch and Sergeant formed Electrafixion, releasing their first album in 1995. In 1997, the duo reteamed with Pattinson to reform Echo & the Bunnymen, issuing the LP Evergreen. Two years later, they returned with What Are You Going to Do With Your Life? The new millennium brought Echo & the Bunnymen back to basics. The British press touted the band's storybook flair found on 1983's Ocean Rain and figured such spark would be found on their ninth album. Flowers, which reflected McCulloch's dark breezy vocals and Sergeant's signature hooks, was issued in spring 2001. Live in Liverpool, a concert disc capturing the band's two gigs at Liverpool of Performing Arts while on tour in support of Flowers, followed a year later. For 2005's Siberia, McCulloch and Sergeant joined produced Hugh Jones for the band's most classic effort since their 1997 comeback.

Top band, both in the 80's and now.
Saw them in Manchester 1988, 1999, 2002 and in Liverpool December 2005 and Nottingham June 2006.
McCulloch is one of the coolest bastards on the planet even now.
Without a doubt start at Ocean Rain, then their latest album - Siberia - then work backwards from Ocean Rain or get the compilation 'Songs to sing and learn'.
For the 'There's Only One Jimmy Grimble' film soundtrack (a film featuring Morrissey-solo's very own Grim O'Grady!) he covered the Man City anthem 'Blue Moon' - a song I shall have played at my funeral, though hopefully in around 50 years time....!

The Goat

The Bunnymen are one of the best bands ever. As seen in the above capsule history, their lifespan is divided up into two distinct halves: the first seven years with Pete, followed by the resurrected lineup consisting mainly of the essentials, McCulloch and Sergeant. I don't think there's any doubt that the first half is better, so start with the material from 1980-1987. That said, there's loads of good stuff on their recent albums, too. Mac has become more of a crooner now, and while I prefer his old style, he epitomizes coolness no matter what he does.

Why the Bunnymen didn't enjoy enormous success is all over the world is something of a mystery to me. Something's just slightly askew about them, I suppose, starting with the name of the band. I love the name Echo & The Bunnymen, but it limited their appeal for a lot of people who don't get beyond superficialities. Too bad.

Best album? Although it's kind of impossible not to give "Ocean Rain" its due as one of the best albums ever put to vinyl, Bunnymen fans, in their perverse way, rarely pick the obvious great one, so I'll go with "Heaven Up Here". Twenty-five years on, the album still reveals hidden layers of sound and color to the patient ear. A masterpiece, although, again, "Ocean Rain" has a certain perfection about it.

Hey,

I've been a fan of theirs for quite some time. People know me here at my job for ruthelessly playing quite a number of their tunes on our stereo system. My personal favorites are: Over the Wall, The Cutter, The Back of Love, Lips Like Sugar, Lost & Found, Seven Seas, etc.

Will Sergeant's guitar playing is HIGHLY UNDERRATED, a shame!!!!! Ian's style is what I like, personally.

(I just seen them recently tour in Philly on June 29. It was one of the best gigs I went to this year. I even managed to get 14 photos.)

I'd have to say that they are in my top 10 of my most favorite bands ever.
They are very cordial w/ the audience and it's a fun thing to do to try and wait afterward to gather an autograph or photo of them why they frequent a local bar.

For some information, the book, Turquoise Days really is the true epitome of their life. There is a couple of other books on them too, Never Stop and Ian McCulloch. In the book, Liverpool Wonderous Place: Music From the Cavern to Cream, they also get a considerable mention and a great photo is there too.

Their music for me is similar to Joy Division, one of my most favorite bands also.

Two good websites to check out on real and official information are:
http://www.villiersterrace.com/index.php
http://www.bunnymen.com/Forum/index.php

I am personally a member of the forum but, I don't post as much as I used to do to the fact that I work and travel quite often.

Good luck in your search and it's nice to meet another bunnyfan!!!

dazzak said:
"The Killing Moon" is effin' nang. Rest is a bit shit.

????? ... ...

How about the Pet Shop Boys too ?

With Electronic they're good and for themselves some shit ?

How about explaining why the rest is shit and not good. I like Echo But I also like He's first solo LP and when Ian came back to Echo.

the first "comeback" album Evergreen was actually really good. I also think that the start of Donnie Darko - in which the Killing Moon plays is on of the best "music to film" sequences i've ever seen in the movies.

Best Album / Song
Ocean Rain / Killing Moon

Prior to the Smiths gaining ground in 84-85, the Bunnymen really were untouchable in the UK. For anyone really interested Bill Drummond (he of KLF) fame used to manage the Bunnymen and his book 45 gives a hilarious account of his time with the band.

I also think that the start of Donnie Darko - in which the Killing Moon plays is on of the best "music to film" sequences i've ever seen in the movies.

I completely agree, and wanted to bear hug Richard Kelly for using that song-- but did you see the revised cut of the film? It features INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart" instead, using "The Killing Moon" later, near the climax. While this actually makes much more sense narratively ("Never Tear Us Apart" is supposed to be sort of echoed and flipped on its head later by "Love Will Tear Us Apart") it made the opening scene less exciting by excising most of the dread and foreshadowing.

Nouvelle Vague has a terrific cover version of "The Killing Moon", by the way. I overheard Grant Lee Buffalo's version the other day and doubled over in severe abdominal pain.

My favourite song is Never Stop

And I'm seeing them live this December in Liverpool!!! :D :D :D

but did you see the revised cut of the film? It features INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart" instead, using "The Killing Moon" later, near the climax. While this actually makes much more sense narratively ("Never Tear Us Apart" is supposed to be sort of echoed and flipped on its head later by "Love Will Tear Us Apart") it made the opening scene less exciting by excising most of the dread and foreshadowing.

Haven't seen this. Is it the director's cut version? I love it when directors take the time / effort to put music to film rather then simply filling a soundtrack with the latest hits etc. I remember being blown away by seeing Cillian Murphy walking around a deserted London in 28 Days Later to a soundtrack of God Speed You Black Emperor, it was an amazing scene. Film wasn't much cop though.

On Bunnymen - i've seen them live in the last few years and Mac's voice has been seriously messed up by his smoking. They still rock, but that voice ain't the same!

Lilybett
Where are they playing in Liverpool in December??

The Goat

im not at all sure that they are- the icicle works are, (MUCH anticipated!!)most definitely but i dont think the bunnymen are.
they played in december last year.......?

im not at all sure that they are- the icicle works are, (MUCH anticipated!!)most definitely but i dont think the bunnymen are.
they played in december last year.......?

Lmao :D I hadn't bought tickets made of fairydust :p ;)

Last edited:
Hey,

What's everyone's favorite bunnymen album/song?

Fave Bunnymen-albums:

1) Ocean Rain
2) Crocodiles
3) Heaven Up Here
4) What Are You Going To Do With Your Life?
5) Echo and the Bunnymen
6) Porcupine
7) Evergreen
8) Siberia
9) Flowers

As for fave songs, there are too many great ones,
but in my top 10 would definitely be:
Villiers Terrace
Back of Love
Over The Wall
Killing Moon
Crystal Days