McAlmont & Butler - "Speed"

dazzak

Now this is music I'm excited and passionate about at the moment. Any soul fans should give it a go. Modern soul at it's best, really - sonically innovative, experimental, breathtaking vocals, classic lyrics. It all smacks of a real love of music, as well. Single releases without the incentive of an album or live shows just don't happen anymore.

Here's the three songs ("Oh, What A Year" [Who makes songs you have to snap your fingers to anymore?], "Goodbye" [Strangely reminiscent of very early Bowie], "Speed" [Definite contender for single of the year]) and the interview from the Mark Radcliffe show on July 25. Just that voice and that guitarist creating some mind-blowingly fantastic sounds.

The single is release on iTunes on August 7, by the way. Buy it for your own good. There's a limited vinyl release on August 21 also.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S0THO4BW

Last edited:
Not half Tears, Dallow - Tears times ten.

Seriously, though, try not to think of it like that. Not only is it extremely different aurally, but it has a whole different feeling - it's prescient, fresh, exciting. The Tears fizzled because there was too much expectation that Brett and Bernard just about failed to live up to and their hearts weren't really in it. With David and Bernard, I get the sense that this really matters. This music can change a person, whether it be for three minutes or the rest of their life. This is music that makes people feel alive. It's all about letting your feelings and not your head take over, as with all soul music.

Also, herein lies Bernard's true talent. His ability to morph and shape his sound to fit the singer and genre, without sacrificing his genius and distinctive sound, is second to none. It only goes further to prove he is a serious rival for Marr at his best. And with a singer like David (who has, an estimated guess here, a 3 and a halfish octave range), Bernard is free to travel to places melodically that not many guitarists can.

Here's their latest appearance on radio. They did the magnificent "Falling" from the 2002 album Bring It Back, the world debut of "Midnight", and the single "Speed" on Tom Robinson's BBC6 show yesterday. Just amazing. Good to hear "Falling" again, too.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HNX8FK6O

The epic sound of 'Yes' is terrific and is almost as good as The Mighty Wah!

I wonder how Mozzer would sound with all that energy and production? Couldn't fail really.

Yep, I'll look out for the new McAlmont & Butler CD then. Thanks

Tingle3 said:
Yep, I'll look out for the new McAlmont & Butler CD then. Thanks
Ah, that's the thing. The only tangible format of the single will be the 7-inch single released on the 21. It's on iTunes this Monday, but no CD release. As Bernard said in a tiny interview with the surprisingly clued-in music section of The Sun: "There is no sleeve, no video, no tour, no album to promote, nothing to rip you off. We won't make any money out of it and we won't want to play your local stadium."

TheSun.jpg

Back
Top Bottom