Need Fun Morrissey/Smiths facts

sashaisme

Moz-o-phile
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum...but I have been lurking on Morrissey-Solo for several years now. I was hoping for a little help here. I am doing a presentation on Morrissey for school tomorrow(procrastination is a terrible thing). I was wondering if anyone can supply some interesting Morrissey factoids. I know Moz sold out the Hollywood Bowl faster Than the Beatles. Does anyone know the date of that concert...and how fast it sold out? Somewhere I read 92'...but is that right? I thought it was 91'. Also..anything else anyone finds interesting would be great. Interesting quotes, etc.

Actually a great quote I just saw:

"I once bought a Manchester United hat, which I think was 12 shillings, and somebody ran up behind me and pulled it off and just ran ahead. I thought, 'It's a very cruel world, I'm not prepared for this'. And I decided to get my revenge on society."

Could be why he's not the happiest of blokes?

One of my physical encounters was with a man. That was 10 years ago. It was just a very brief, absurd and amusing moment. It wasn't love. I have never experienced that.

well well! look at that!

You know when you used to get a 7" record single, some had a larger hole in the centre, with an add on piece (kinda triangle shaped) so we could play them in the UK????

The Smiths invented that, so we could play records from the USA on our record players.

The Smiths, I believe, were named after one of the familys of a Moors Murder victim... which spawned the song "Suffer Little Children".

Not bad. David SMITH was the man who turned the Moors Murderers into the police. Hindley's brother in law or something.

But what about Patti SMITH?????

And Moz once said the name The Smiths is to celebrate ordinary-ness. Too many bands with fancy, complicated names.

Then there's Mark E SMITH, 1960's Manchester club Mr SMITHS

(From The Severed Alliance)

Johnny Marr liked The Smiths, as to him it was an antidote to all those portentously grandiloquent group names such as Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, and The Dark and Blue Rondo A La Turk.

(Quoted from the Severed Alliance again!)

andy_fozzy said:
Not bad. David SMITH was the man who turned the Moors Murderers into the police. Hindley's brother in law or something.

But what about Patti SMITH?????

And Moz once said the name The Smiths is to celebrate ordinary-ness. Too many bands with fancy, complicated names.

mostly every article i've read names depeche mode as the kind of name they were opposing

sashaisme said:
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum...but I have been lurking on Morrissey-Solo for several years now. I was hoping for a little help here. I am doing a presentation on Morrissey for school tomorrow(procrastination is a terrible thing). I was wondering if anyone can supply some interesting Morrissey factoids. I know Moz sold out the Hollywood Bowl faster Than the Beatles. Does anyone know the date of that concert...and how fast it sold out? Somewhere I read 92'...but is that right? I thought it was 91'. Also..anything else anyone finds interesting would be great. Interesting quotes, etc.

Hi sashaisme, how did your presentation go today? you definitely didn't have a lot of prep time. were you able to pull it together with the help given here?

Back
Top Bottom