books?

M

martin

I would like to know a bit about what Morrissey is reading and has been reading. I know that he's keen on Oscar Wilde but what else?

> I would like to know a bit about what Morrissey is reading and¿ has been reading. I know that he's keen on Oscar Wilde but what¿ else?

There are so many writers that has inspired Morrissey, but these are the ones that I think has done it more then the others.

Shelagh Delaney: Morrissey has in several interviews said that she is the reason he began to write lyrics.

Keith Waterhouse: The book Billy Liar has been an inspiration for many of The Smiths lyrics.

Elizabeth Smart: Shakespeare's Sister is based on her book By Grand Central Station I sat Down And Wept. If you read this book you will find that Morrissey has quoted her in several of his songs.

Graham Greene: I think that Brighton Rock is the best book ever written. Morrisseys has taken the psychotic gang members Ted
Dallow, Spicer, the boy Pinkie, and John Cubitt from Brighton Rock and put them in the song Now my hart is full.

Well, like I said before there are many more.

so many illustrations

I could be mistaken, but in some of his most recent (hahaha - "recent") interviews, he mentioned a new interest in Charles Dickens.

From my night stand....

> I would like to know a bit about what Morrissey is reading and¿ has been reading. I know that he's keen on Oscar Wilde but what¿ else?

I don't know what Morrissey's reading, but recent books I've liked include:

GLAMORAMA by Bret Easton Ellis -- Crazy and incredibly entertaining novel. All your favorite z-level celebs are in it.

UNWEAVING THE RAINBOW by Richard Dawkins -- More from the best writer on Darwinism, this time trying to make science cool and an inspiration to artists, as well as show how the implications of evolution don't have to be depressing, and why astrologers and other frauds and pseudo-sciences ought not get away with suckering people any longer. Package this book with Carl Sagan's DEMON-HAUNTED WORLD and make them required reading for every kid in school.

NO ONE LEFT TO LIE TO: THE TRIANGULATIONS OF WILLIAM JEFFERSON CLINTON by Christopher Hitchens -- An idealistic leftist rips Slick Willy a new a-hole. Intelligent, funny, and completely pissed off.

BREAKFAST ON PLUTO by Patrick McCabe -- Darkly funny Irish novel. Just starting this actually. So far so good. This is the guy who wrote THE BUTCHER BOY, my favorite novel of recent years.

I'd like to read Bloom's recent book on Shakespeare and the invention of the human next.

what he takes to bed..........

> I don't know what Morrissey's reading, but recent books I've¿ liked include:¿ GLAMORAMA by Bret Easton Ellis -- Crazy and incredibly¿ entertaining novel. All your favorite z-level celebs are in it.¿ UNWEAVING THE RAINBOW by Richard Dawkins -- More from the best¿ writer on Darwinism, this time trying to make science cool and¿ an inspiration to artists, as well as show how the implications¿ of evolution don't have to be depressing, and why astrologers¿ and other frauds and pseudo-sciences ought not get away with¿ suckering people any longer. Package this book with Carl Sagan's¿ DEMON-HAUNTED WORLD and make them required reading for every kid¿ in school.¿ NO ONE LEFT TO LIE TO: THE TRIANGULATIONS OF WILLIAM JEFFERSON¿ CLINTON by Christopher Hitchens -- An idealistic leftist rips¿ Slick Willy a new a-hole. Intelligent, funny, and completely¿ pissed off.¿ BREAKFAST ON PLUTO by Patrick McCabe -- Darkly funny Irish¿ novel. Just starting this actually. So far so good. This is the¿ guy who wrote THE BUTCHER BOY, my favorite novel of recent¿ years.¿ I'd like to read Bloom's recent book on Shakespeare and the¿ invention of the human next.
nancy friday of course and oh, swinburne perhaps..it is endless

Back
Top Bottom