New to Morrissey

L

Lisa Jane

Hi! I'm 14 and I've just discovered Morrissey's music, thanks to a friend who played me "Vauxhall and I". I love it! What other albums has Morrissey done? What should I listen to next? I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Lisa

go with 'viva hate' or 'bona drag', at least that's the order i heard them in, and i was around 14 when i started liking morrissey and the smiths.

> Hi! I'm 14 and I've just discovered Morrissey's music, thanks to
> a friend who played me "Vauxhall and I". I love it!
> What other albums has Morrissey done? What should I listen to
> next? I'd appreciate some advice.

Start with THE SMITHS. I was 16 when I listened it for the first time. I have read something about the band in a local magazine, and a friend came with the album, and said: Your not alone anymore.

> Start with THE SMITHS. I was 16 when I listened it for the first
> time. I have read something about the band in a local magazine,
> and a friend came with the album, and said: Your not alone
> anymore.

actually, now that you mention it, i think i listened to both sort of around the same time, and that was good, because it gives you a quick overview of the whole thing, maybe i didn't say that right, but i think you know what i mean.

You probably would be better off buying The Smiths "Louder Than Bombs" or Morrissey's "The World of Morrissey" or even The Smiths "Singles" for two reasons:

1. You get a good plain level of Morrissey.

2. You get a ton of songs to try out.

I retract the above statements if neither is true all except "you get a ton of songs to try out."

Also avoid anything that the girls at Morrisseytour.com say. They lie and they are stupid. I don't retract that statement.

> Thanks,

> Lisa

Join the club. Welcome.
You may also try a video (Live in Dallas is pretty popular) - to SEE the man on stage. Prepare for swooning. Or if you have a DVD and happen to be around the US ... try Oye Esteban.
In any other case, start with Maladjusted - the latest CD - or My Early Burglary Years. You'll have an up-to-date presentation of his skills, and then work yourself chronologically back towards 'The Smiths', the very first thing. That will be more or less 20 years of first-class pop history for you to digest.
Good luck!

And ... Vauxhall and I is widely considered to be Morrissey's best.

For further information, check out the Shoplifter Union (link on main page of morrissey-solo.com) - especially LASID (It may all end tomorrow) for lyrics.

Cheers,
AK

Oh lucky you! You have the pleasure of the journey ahead..... Well here's my piece of advice:

Your Arsenal rocks and it's reasonably easy-going so you can get it early on. Maladjusted is a little repetative, but I still like it. Don't get Southpaw Grammar too early on because it's a little different. And with the Smiths you don't really have to stick to any order I think.

While you're at it get them all..... Are you from Britain? I got my complete collection from Virgin's "buy two get one free" offer.

Thank you Richard Branson.

How delightful! I have a niece your age and I'd just die to get her into Morrissey, but so far I wasn't succesful... Good luck for you.

Go out with your credit card and get every CD you can of the smiths/morrissey....you will not be dissapointed

If you go on this site watch out for greasetea if he knows your 14 he will try and befriend you...watch out thats all i am saying ok

Morrissey and the smiths will not let you down there is no bad CD's..tHey are all gems....

Happy hunting OK

> Thanks,

> Lisa

Don't Buy "Live In Dallas", It'll Put You Off For Live: NM

Vauxhall is his best, I think. Try My Early Burglary years for a great rounding together of recent stuff. Then, Bona Drag always goes down well. Then, Your Arsenal. As for The Smiths, start with Strangeways Here We Come or Louder Than Bombs. Then The Queen Is Dead. (Mind you, I actually died the first time I heard Hatful of Hollow.)

After that your on your own, but I would suggest Southpaw Grammar, Kill Uncle, Meat Is Murder and The Smiths only when you've checked out the others first: they're growers.

Hmmmmm. I feel really envious of you.

Good luck...

> Thanks,

> Lisa
Welcome Lisa,
firstly Vauxhall & I is a great starting point! So where to now?
All the suggestions so far are great, but i've found most of his albums different in tone. Both Your Arsenal and Southpaw grammer are
quite rocky ( at times this is an understatement ~ YEH!).. Viva Hate is probably the next solo album you should buy.
However if it is the antidote to unrequited love or a broken heart I would suggest a Smiths album, The Queen is Dead.
It doesn't so much hook you ~ it drags you in its nets!

i was 15 when i got into the smiths, and now i'm 17. i found that a lot of the younger fans tend to like the smiths over morrissey's solo work, and eventually in a few years it changes and turns out to be the other way around, like me. i'm a huge fan of the smiths earlier work, maybe you should pick up the first album, "The Smiths", or "Hatful of Hollow", they'll really give you an idea of what morrissey's songwriting is all about.

I only got into The smiths/ Morrissey about 3 1/2 years ago When I was 14 And Noone I knew had a clue who they/ he was, or so I thought at the time. I just picked up The smiths 'the singles' because it was the only thing i could find by them. I listened to it for 3 months straight until my sister realized what i was listening to and gave me 'the queen is dead' and 'meat is murder'
I must say after that i was hooked.. I joined a music club and ordered 'viva hate' 'your arsenal' and a smiths best of . I eventually ended up with everything including far too many singles! I would also suggest you read "The complete story" By mick middles. It's a very short but informative book for someone just getting into The smiths :)

Re: Well aren't we all just chirpy little helpers!

Buy them all. Go for the smiths first though...it's the way it's mean't to be.

Why interfere with chronology when chronology never interfered with you?!

Back
Top Bottom