Morrissey and Punk Music

J

juan

I was just in Vinyl Fetish on Melrose and an employee said that Moz was in the day before and bought a bunch of punk cd's. Does anyone know what kind of punk bands he listens to? Does anyone else out their have the comp. "The World Still Won't Listen." I have it and it's ok I guess, what do you all think about it?

Morrissey buying punk??? l..o.l , Hmm wonder if he likes same bands as me?

> Morrissey buying punk??? l..o.l , Hmm wonder if he likes same¿ bands as me?

What!!!! you didn't know that Morrissey was into punk?????

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm certain MANY others will agree with me) The Smiths were basically a punk band.
You see, punk is not about hard guitar rifts (ie. Hole) it's about what you are singing about, such as anti-society/conformity, singing about taboo subjects....
two examples that I can think of off the top of my head

Still Ill - "And if you must go to work tomorrow, well, if I were you I wouldn't bother"

or - This Charming Man , Hand in Glove, Handsome Devil, Pretty Girls Make Graves.
or anything containing some sort of homoerotisism.....after all the definition of "punk" in the English Oxford Dictionary - 1994, is
"slang term for male homosexual"

besides which ever hear of the New York Dolls...Morrissey knows a thing or two about them...perhaps even a books' worth.
and he requested the Ramones on that radio talk show thing back in Sept of '98, in California.

Morrissey IS punk. sorry.

> What!!!! you didn't know that Morrissey was into punk?????

morrissey likes the ramones, the angelic upstarts, the new york dolls, patti smith...Buzzcocks...etc.
from what I know...

I also know that his favorite cover song on that album is the "Panic" cover by my favorite punk band:

The Business!!!!!!!!!

"Knock it back, ave another one
drinking and driving is so much fun!"

> I was just in Vinyl Fetish on Melrose and an employee said that¿ Moz was in the day before and bought a bunch of punk cd's. Does¿ anyone know what kind of punk bands he listens to? Does anyone¿ else out their have the comp. "The World Still Won't¿ Listen." I have it and it's ok I guess, what do you all¿ think about it?

I think the Buzzcocks had a tremendous influence on him. Don't know much about the Stranglers, but I'm given to understand the Stranglers originated "Dagenham Dave" in the 70s. Morrissey has been spotted at various punk concerts in L.A. from Fear (1994) to Stiff Little Fingers (1997 -- that's when crap band Wank took the opportunity to have their photos taken with him as if he were endorsing the wankers). I think he might've been to a Germs show as well. I cannot quite remember. He liked early Ramones. He reviewed a Sex Pistol's gig once and didn't seem impressed with their act. Morrissey also commented that he liked the cover of "PAnic" that a British punk group called the Business performed. They sound like some oi band to me. He also liked the Clash and MC5 & Stooges as evidenced by his picks for a program of "Flashbacks" on KROQ. I'm also reminded that despite Siouxsie's dislike of Morrissey's business behavior, he was fond of her music and also chose one of her songs to play on the program with much praise of her. But I don't expect Morrissey to like any of the punk coming out recently. Anything pre-1978 is probably not for him. Too bad. I think he'd like the irrepressible tragicomic song "Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend (so why can't I?)" by the Mr. T Experience. And has anyone noticed the similarity between the cover for "The Queen Is Dead" (Alain Delon) and the cover for "The Decline of Western Civilization"?

I've always regarded the SMiths as punk though they didn't have the outward trappings of punkdom. The uncompromising way they made music on their own terms was so punk. Unlike the punk-lite of GreenDay, the SMiths really shook up the pop music establishment and achieved success without the typical video and corporate manipulation. A lot of hardcore punks (especially straight edge vegetarians) I know deeply admire Morrissey and the Smiths. I'm not surprised at all that Fugazi paid homage to Morrissey. Also, the pits at some punk shows I've attended (e.g., Circle Jerks, L7, Tribe 8, Fugazi, early Bad Religion) are infinitely more gentle than a typical Morrissey concert in California. No lie!

I have a tape of "The World Still WOn't Listen," and it's mostly atrocious. The majority of the bands seem to do the cover out of some malicious glee in trashing a beautiful song. Only a few of the bands seem to respect the music.

One of the best covers i'd ever heard comes from a compilation put out from a label in florida. Can't remember the title, but it features the most heavenly cover of "I Know It's Over" by Rosewater Elizabeth. The proceeds from the disc went to benefit some Save the Manatees campaign. I think MOrrissey would have to approve of the cause (Manatees are gentle vegetarian mammals of the water who are becoming extinct because of human selfishness) even if he might not like the covers performed.

A Morrissey night at the Blarney Stone in S.F.

> manatees are scary..you ever seen one before?

What dude? Manatees are the coolest and the most gentle creatures in the sea. I was fortunate to visit them last summer in Florida. Why, I even purchased a manatee tie last weekend to wear at Commencement. Someone should tell Morrissey about the manatee. I have a feeling he might like them. As for manates being scary, well, the alligators are indeed scared of them...the alligators swim away from them. Thank goodness. :)

> What dude? Manatees are the coolest and the most gentle¿ creatures in the sea. I was fortunate to visit them last summer¿ in Florida. Why, I even purchased a manatee tie last weekend to¿ wear at Commencement. Someone should tell Morrissey about the¿ manatee. I have a feeling he might like them. As for manates¿ being scary, well, the alligators are indeed scared of¿ them...the alligators swim away from them. Thank goodness. :)

all i know is i ws sitting on a dock behind a house in florida and one came up under my feet and scared the bajesus out of me...scccaarrrryyy...i was only 10 scarred me for life they did

morrissey friends

>
Yes, I would think that many people know that Moz is into punk music. I agree with you to an extent on The Smiths being punk, but Morrissey solo work. . . I don't think so; "You're the One for Me Fatty."??

My original question refered to what punk bands he is in to (besides the obvious, The Ramones).

What!!!! you didn't know that Morrissey was into punk?????¿ As far as I'm concerned (and I'm certain MANY others will agree¿ with me) The Smiths were basically a punk band.¿ You see, punk is not about hard guitar rifts (ie. Hole) it's¿ about what you are singing about, such as¿ anti-society/conformity, singing about taboo subjects....¿ two examples that I can think of off the top of my head¿ Still Ill - "And if you must go to work tomorrow, well, if¿ I were you I wouldn't bother"¿ or - This Charming Man , Hand in Glove, Handsome Devil, Pretty¿ Girls Make Graves.¿ or anything containing some sort of homoerotisism.....after all¿ the definition of "punk" in the English Oxford¿ Dictionary - 1994, is¿ "slang term for male homosexual"¿ besides which ever hear of the New York Dolls...Morrissey knows¿ a thing or two about them...perhaps even a books' worth.¿ and he requested the Ramones on that radio talk show thing back¿ in Sept of '98, in California.¿ Morrissey IS punk. sorry.

Re: Morrissey and Punk Music- and another thing.

> all i know is i ws sitting on a dock behind a house in florida¿ and one came up under my feet and scared the bajesus out of¿ me...scccaarrrryyy...i was only 10 scarred me for life they did

I think manatees are lovely.

AND Morrissey has released one "punk" album -
Southpaw Grammar, esspecially the songs:
Teachers are Afraid....
Boy Racer
The Operation (classic punk)
Best Friend on the Payroll

the song "Southpaw..." is perhaps the only departure from punk on that album

Morrissey and (C)rap Music

> Does anyone know what kind of punk bands he listens to?

If my sources are correct and there IS truth to the rumor of a Def Jam signing, he'd better be seen picking up some DMX, Onyx and Public Enemy CDs!!

Hey, Morrissey: "Fight the Power!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go throw up.

Re: Morrissey and (C)rap Music

> If my sources are correct and there IS truth to the rumor of a¿ Def Jam signing, he'd better be seen picking up some DMX, Onyx¿ and Public Enemy CDs!!¿ Hey, Morrissey: "Fight the Power!"¿ Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go throw up.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sources say.....

> If my sources are correct and there IS truth to the rumor of a¿ Def Jam signing, he'd better be seen picking up some DMX, Onyx¿ and Public Enemy CDs!!

OK....

They're going to put a guy who sang about skinheads on a label with mostly black artists?

Don't click here

my own little 2 cents

I just wanted to give my background from the straight edge hardcore vegetarian kid that mel mentioned. She's totally correct. So many bands in the hardcore scene today directly attribute a lot of thier influence to The Smiths. Although coming from a long background in the hardcore scene i can say that this isn't necessarily a good thing considering that straightedge hardcore kids are often the worst people you would ever want to know, but not all the time

> I was just in Vinyl Fetish on Melrose and an employee said that¿ Moz was in the day before and bought a bunch of punk cd's. Does¿ anyone know what kind of punk bands he listens to? Does anyone¿ else out their have the comp. "The World Still Won't¿ Listen." I have it and it's ok I guess, what do you all¿ think about it?

Don't know what new punk he's into, but I do know he loves the Ramones. But then who doesn't?

Morrissey has earned lotsa punk points!

> What!!!! you didn't know that Morrissey was into punk?????

Yeah, Moz has more punk points than anyone! I mean, he was at the first Pistols show even, wasn't he?¿ As far as I'm concerned (and I'm certain MANY others will agree¿ with me) The Smiths were basically a punk band.

yup, they had similar themes and attitude as punk bands, plus a higher IQ.¿

Re: Morrissey has earned lotsa punk points!

> Yeah, Moz has more punk points than anyone! I mean, he was at¿ the first Pistols show even, wasn't he?

If you pick up any well-researched book about the history of the English punk rock scene, chances are, Morrissey's name will appear in it more than once. He championed many indie bands (both American and British) via his letters to various music magazines, attended countless shows, and befriended Linder Sterling, who sang with the band Ludus and used to design concert posters (I think) for the Buzzcocks.

I have to laugh when all these "new punk" fans think of Morrissey as some fey has-been who sang with some "new wave" 80s band - his knowledge of, and affiliation with, early punk music would blow them away.

Back
Top Bottom