What is Morrissey's most underrated song?

What is Morrissey's most underrated song?

• Ammunition

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Trouble Loves Me

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Papa Jack

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Southpaw

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Friday Mourning

• Roy's Keen

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Dagenham Dave

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sorrow Will Come In the End

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Lost

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • The Never-Played Symphonies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Musings

Ubermember
That is, what song gets either a) bashed unneccessarily or b)just not talked about at all that you think is an awesome song?

I would say 'Driving Your Girlfriend Home' doesn't get enough of a mention for my liking. Very pretty little ditty indeed! :)

good god when trouble loves me became underrated?, it's one heaven of song and I haven't heard of anyone bashing it... for me underrated is friday mourning nobody knows it.and the ones that know it ,they dispise it

The best song on that list is Trouble Loves Me but as Pervomartovtsi says, I ain't heard anyone bashing it.

Shows the strength of Moz that I actually adore most of the songs on this "rejects" list:
  • Papa Jack is awesome - the way he sings the line "Sings slow, grieving and low" gets me everytime.
  • Ammunition - love the way that it drools along, I always think of that song when I'm driving on the M62 through the moors - I like to think of the reference to the "cheveron enticing me on" as being about that road!
  • Lost - never heard anyone slate that?!
The only real duds in my opinion on here are:
  • Roy's Keen
  • Dagenham Dave

I'm not here for long enough to know what the songs are 'rated' here, but Friday Mourning is one of the best Morrissey songs IMHO.

I was just thinking how "underrated" is the most popular word on this board yesterday. Every third post contains the phrases "This is probably the most underrated Morrissey song", "that is probably the most underrated "Smiths" song", and "that is the largely underrated album"! With occasional use of "That's an overrated album"

Weird:confused:

don't forget Striptease with a difference...so good!

Hm, I just mentioned Friday Mourning over in another thread here. It's a gorgeous song, too special to be relegated to a B-side in my opinion.

Trouble Loves Me? I only ever hear good things about this one, and plenty of good things, at that. I certainly don't think that it's disliked, even less ignored. Morrissey's including it in his recent live set has introduced it to a whole new audience, perhaps. I love it. :)

Just to clarify:

When I said underrated, I didn't just mean 'bashed' unnecessarily - I also meant songs that weren't well known outside of the sphere of the most devoted fans.
Even at gigs, many people didn't know "Trouble Loves Me" - one of Moz's greatest songs ever! It's not that people 'bash' that song, it's just that not enough people know it/talk about it (until just lately when he began singing it on tour).

Hope this clarifies what I mean by 'underrated'. :)

Underrated by Mozz -

- Im Playing Easy To Get!. How did this not even make a B-Side let alone album track?!

- Striptease with a difference. Likewise.

- Disappointed. Maligned by Mozz and Steven Street (according to IMAET), and barely mentioned, a good song with some belting lyrics to it in my opinion.

Underrated by Mozz fans -

There Is A Place In Hell - Hardly ever given a mention! Beautifully poignant and weighted ditty...nice uptempo version performed live once or twice too! :)

Irish Blood English Heart - No one slags it off but for me it's underrated in that no one seems to talk about the sheer majesty of this song! For me one of his best solo songs ever, classic Mozz two-fingers lyrics, great music, especially the outro which can only be described as 'rocking', oh yes. High, but not high enough, in the minds of Mozz fans, in my view!

Glamarous Glue - Ditto with IBIE really. Underrated in so far as...unrecognised.

How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? - Some funny lyrics and a good tune, never mentioned. Great album track for me.

Father Who Must Be Killed - Not much mentioned when discussing the stronger points of ROTT, but for me it's one of the best tracks on the album. Nice guitar, and some classic Mozz lyrics; dark, witty, disturbing and ever relevant!

Last edited:
stupid choices, most of those are acknowledged as good...

Best Friend On The Payroll is a fantastic cut that routinely gets disparaged

I voted Roys Keen because it constantly gets slagged off and yet I reckon it's quite charming. Why have stuff like Trouble Loves me on there which is universally liked?

Back
Top Bottom