Anyone into Rap/Urban music here?

When I was DJ ing in Switzerland, all the kids would ask for 'Hip Hop', I thought nice one, started spinning some old school Hip Hop stuff and they'd go mad, they meant R&B!

I had to laugh at all the middle class Swiss kids who thought that they were black.

R&B is truly awful!

Aly Panic said:
When I was DJ ing in Switzerland, all the kids would ask for 'Hip Hop', I thought nice one, started spinning some old school Hip Hop stuff and they'd go mad, they meant R&B!

I had to laugh at all the middle class Swiss kids who thought that they were black.

R&B is truly awful!

Urban music is one of the few genres that moves on musically, it relies on that to keep it fresh. no wonder the kids laughed at you!

I liked some of the old skool stuff (NWA,Public enemy) it realy packed a punch but it realy seems to have collapsed into mediocrity over the last 10 years or so, it's just so formula. Missy elliot's still a fave though and LL cool J can still cut it (even with the hinderance of Lopez!)

Jon said:
Urban music is one of the few genres that moves on musically, it relies on that to keep it fresh. no wonder the kids laughed at you!

Not half as much as I was laughing at them and the sums of money I was getting paid - thems were the days!!!

Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest are two of my all-time favorite "bands" (is that the word?). I also like Gang Starr, Ice Cube and Wu Tang Clan quite a bit. OutKast are great.

And not to be pedantic, but when you say "urban" music, I know what you mean of course, but lest anyone forget, the "low life" of Morrissey's Whalley Range is urban music, too. Joy Division, as urban music, is about as harrowing in its own way as anything from the black inner cities of America. Liking Morrissey and rap music isn't as bizarre as it seems, and in spite of some pretty serious differences there are also some deep spiritual affinities.

Hiphop is about sound in a general sense and not necessarily music. This allows for the possibility of great innovation and creativity.

rap is Crap.
full stop.

This is what's called a true statement.

I refuse to like it even if I could find something likeable. It's the voice of an entitlement-minded, brutishly degenerate culture with nothing to say, which hates you by the way. Please stop supporting them, so they will whither at the roots. The minute their tripe hits "da street" it becomes obsolete.

On a less principled level, it sounds awful. Aesthetically, it is utter rubbish. "Black" culture is, I regret to inform anyone operating under the delusion, not "cool". Pity the blacks who hate it too - what a horrible induction they've suffered.

P.S. They did not, contrary to popular belief, create nearly every form of music known to man.

Alright. For starters, someone who apparently believes that "Black" culture is homogenous, monolothic and uniform such that it can be labeled "not cool" (or "cool") obviously doesn't understand the words "black" or "culture."

They did not, contrary to popular belief, create nearly every form of music known to man.
Thanks very much for the information on what "they" did not do.

However, unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone here (or elsewhere) claiming that "they" created nearly every form of music known to man.

I'll go ahead and state something just as obvious. "They" have contributed much to music in the United States--and by extension the world. Without "them" there almost certainly would be no rock 'n' roll, jazz, or blues.

It's not. That's why someone put "black" and "cool" in quotes.

Next.
So, what exactly did you mean when you said, "'Black' culture is, I regret to inform anyone operating under the delusion, not 'cool'"?

Ahhh, I see (maybe). Were you preemptively refuting something somebody else might say, i.e., that "black" culture is "cool"?

Well, unless I missed it, nobody said that here. So what's your point?

Thanks very much for the information on what "they" did not do.

However, unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone here (or elsewhere) claiming that "they" created nearly every form of music known to man.

I'll go ahead and state something just as obvious. "They" have contributed much to music in the United States--and by extension the world. Without "them" there almost certainly would be no rock 'n' roll, jazz, or blues.

That's what I was preemptively refering to. Their contribution is sickeningly exaggerated. "Rock 'n' roll" becomes so broadly defined as to encompass nearly all popular music created by others (especially whites) that doesn't belong to an already long-established genre (i.e. country & western). That's the way "they" have chosen to aggrandize themselves. It's not enough for them to simply say, "Look at us. Judge us on the merits of the product." No, it always has to be to the detriment of everyone else - the hallmark of immaturity.

They can keep their jazz and their blues. As for "their creation" of the thing called rock 'n' roll, that's fine. Just recognize that rock 'n' roll is nowhere near as broadly defined as they'd like you to prostrate yourself and believe. New genres pop up all the time. And they do not all issue forth from the all-mighty black man.

You can have the last word. Too much talk of race gets old quick. People are people in my opinion. They are all created in the image of God and therefore deserve respect - yourself included. That said, there are times when certain groups will act in certain off-putting ways. And when this happens sometimes it's best to avoid association with them. Recognize it or not, this is our cultural climate. And this is why i refuse to embrace "black" music.

That's what I was preemptively refering to. Their contribution is sickeningly exaggerated. "Rock 'n' roll" becomes so broadly defined as to encompass nearly all popular music created by others (especially whites) that doesn't belong to an already long-established genre (i.e. country & western). That's the way "they" have chosen to aggrandize themselves. It's not enough for them to simply say, "Look at us. Judge us on the merits of the product." No, it always has to be to the detriment of everyone else - the hallmark of immaturity.

They can keep their jazz and their blues. As for "their creation" of the thing called rock 'n' roll, that's fine. Just recognize that rock 'n' roll is nowhere near as broadly defined as they'd like you to prostrate yourself and believe. New genres pop up all the time. And they do not all issue forth from the all-mighty black man.

You can have the last word. Too much talk of race gets old quick. People are people in my opinion. They are all created in the image of God and therefore deserve respect - yourself included. That said, there are times when certain groups will act in certain off-putting ways. And when this happens sometimes it's best to avoid association with them. Recognize it or not, this is our cultural climate. And this is why i refuse to embrace "black" music.
There are a lot of unidentified "theys" in your post. It's easy to create a position that some unidentified "they" supposedly holds and then argue against that position. It's also pretty boring. You clearly have issues that you need to work out--avoiding association with "certain groups"? I hope that you do work those issues out.

And thanks for your advice about the definition of rock 'n' roll. I feel confident, however, that I have forgotten more about the origins of rock 'n' roll then you ever knew.

And by refusing to embrace "black" music--presumably music made by people who are black?--you are depriving yourself of some of the greatest works of popular art in the last 100 years. I feel sorry for you.

Oh dear - what's this question even doing here? - Yawn

Rap...... with a silent 'C' of course - is arse.

Does the UK want to become another state of the USofA - or has it already happened? - I hope not!

If I buy 50 albums in a year maybe 3 or 4 of them will be rap albums, so I'm not a huge fan but I do like some stuff. For instance the last Edan album was one of the best of that year and I've just picked up the new El-P album hoping its even half as good as 'Fantastic Damage' was.

While the standard of rap music that charts is generally abysmal (with a few exceptions like Outkast), you'd hope most intelligent people aren't basing their opinion of an entire genre on MTV or the Top 40.

Oh, before I go let's have a little quiz. One of the posters in this thread votes UK Independence Party and masterbates to a giant poster of a goggly eyed Robert Kilroy Silk.

Can you tell who it is?

Back
Top Bottom