What song are you listening to right now?

A real blast from the past this time as I remembered how this song and this band really kicked off my interest in music for real just before Morrissey released Viva Hate which turned me into a fan of him. Saw Simple Minds twice on this tour in Sweden and among the many english lads selling merchandise outside the stadiums was this Man City fan with whom I exchanged a few polite words with. Ages ago in many ways....

Last edited by a moderator:
The first proper indie band before we even used the description for that genre here in Sweden. The band Easy was so hyped up for no apparent reason but those that were already into foreign indie bands just loved them and so did I. The album "Magic Seed" is just a few lads having fun in a studio and it wasn't perfect but had a special feel about it.

As we are past midnight here in Sweden and the date is 6th of February I chose to listen to Morrissey and his tribute to the people we lost in Munich 54 years ago.

"We'll never die, we'll never die. We keep the red flag flying high cause Man United will never die".

In 2003 Jens Lekman and Jose Gonzales toured Sweden together and I had the pleasure of standing beside Jose watching Lekman perform before it was his turn at one of the gigs. The tour ended in Gothenburg and the last gig was filmed and shown on tv here. Of all the songs Jose played the cover of Joy Divisions "Love will tear us apart" impressed me the most due to him bringing out a whole band or orchestra it seemed from his accoustic guitar.

I've been listening to a lot of (mostly 1980's) Iron Maiden and "synth-era" Rush since yesterday, which I haven't done in...... years (literally)... I dunno why I felt a need to do so all of a sudden, but there you go.

Whatever, Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure are good albums... Playing the later at the moment:

Found myself listening to Zarah Leander singing "ack värmeland du sköna" which in english is something like "oh värmeland you beautiful" (or lovely). This song is like Swedens second national song and is about a part of Sweden called Värmland, famous for its forests and creative people within most art forms. Zarah Leander was of course most famous for being a star in nazi Germany and was a particular favorite of Adolf Hitler. For this she was much disliked by many in Sweden but in recent years it turned out that Zarah more or less fooled the nazis into thinking she was one of them.

Anyway, an old friend and work colleague of my mother who also became a dear friend of mine performed as Leander in gay clubs as Zarah became a huge gay icon during the 70's and 80's. Leander spent her last days of her life in the same hospital as this dear friend of me and my mother and according to him Zarah Leanders spirit flew into him when she died just a few corridors away. During the years I spent partying with him and his male partner we often talked about this time in his life and sometimes listened to her music. I became friends with him and his partner during the time when they lived in a small village in Värmland.

We've since drifted apart and he's on his last legs now sadly the victim of alcohol abuse and illness. He was always a lot like a male version of Zarah Leander.

The song is about the province Värmland and how those that are born there also wants to stay or return there to be laid to rest in the Värmland soil. What made Zarah so special is her strong voice that was always inbetween a female voice and a male voice. This recording must be from an old celebration of midsummer in Sweden and features an interview clip where Zarah talks about the people of Värmland and their creative and artistic skills.
I suggest Morrissey uses this as an intro when performing live in Sweden.

Just found an old post by Colleen and apparently I did not only make her love Jens Lekman's music but she also got into the Kitchens of Distinction thanks to me so I follow up Davie's post with yet another song by this brilliant band. In remembrance of Colleen.

"Oh open up, speak to me
I've nothing to hide so I'll talk to you for hours
But I am closer to the poles
They're merely cold as ice, impossible to touch"

and I shall post a third Kitchens of Distinction song, as I am a big fan! :D

Patrick a GP? Jesus Christ....someone get me a doctor! :D
Even if they were the geekiest band in history, they are cool :p

Geeky looking and acted like geeks as well most of the time but the music was never geeky and the lyrics were always amazing I feel, full of wit and personal experience. Inbetween the lines Patrick lets slip that he is ill somehow but I don't know how bad it is. Seems I've lost the link to his own website as he now seems to live alone with his dog.

Anyway, this song shows how much more clever and witty the man Patrick Fitzgerald is compared to Morrissey as they both made a song about how much they hate Thatcher.

Davie!
Name your top 3 songs by KOD.
Mine are:
1. Prize http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFFkUkd1kEU
2. The 1001st fault http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETdXyZAT0k
3. Mad as snow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeM0l39f9pA

Geeky looking and acted like geeks as well most of the time but the music was never geeky and the lyrics were always amazing I feel, full of wit and personal experience. Inbetween the lines Patrick lets slip that he is ill somehow but I don't know how bad it is. Seems I've lost the link to his own website as he now seems to live alone with his dog.

Anyway, this song shows how much more clever and witty the man Patrick Fitzgerald is compared to Morrissey as they both made a song about how much they hate Thatcher.

Davie!
Name your top 3 songs by KOD.
Mine are:
1. Prize http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFFkUkd1kEU
2. The 1001st fault http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETdXyZAT0k
3. Mad as snow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeM0l39f9pA

Yes, he had a kidney transplant in 2008 and then released an album in 2009. Haven't heard much of him lately though. I've heard simply lives alone with his dog too, maybe he perfers being alone than being in a relationship...who knows?
1. He Holds Her, He Needs Her (not even Johnny Marr can write a melody as good as that)
2. Cowboys and Aliens (although the whole album rocks)
3. Railwayed

Yes, he had a kidney transplant in 2008 and then released an album in 2009. Haven't heard much of him lately though. I've heard simply lives alone with his dog too, maybe he perfers being alone than being in a relationship...who knows?
1. He Holds Her, He Needs Her (not even Johnny Marr can write a melody as good as that)
2. Cowboys and Aliens (although the whole album rocks)
3. Railwayed

That explains his health issues then but at least he is able to work. Seems quite busy travelling as well here and there.

It is not fair having to name ones favourite KOD songs, I know, but I had to make myself do that and you as well. Even the album titles are cool or big statements some of them.

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom