is set list to blame for tour going stale?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
looks like gateshead was a near disaster with the crowd looking bored and moz not doing an encore - during the 2004 tour at bridlington my only complaint was the set list was not up beat enough and looking at this one its even less up beat . billy budd? boy racer ? sweet and tender hooligan ?someone on your side ? songs like this are needed to inject some power after all we are all guitar based rock fans at heart so pump it up a bit moz .

I prefer the setlist on this tour to the Quarry one... I found "Hairdresser on Fire" and "Such a Little Thing" a bit drawn out for my liking (although I really loved "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel" & "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"!)

I enjoyed the tour this time around, I loved "Trouble Loves Me" and the ROTT songs too. I know people are not happy about 2 B-side and a cover version in the set... but they're great songs! I mean.. TWO B-SIDES! It's a treat! In a few years we'll look back and be amazed.. at least I think I will!

He said on the Edith Bowman interview that he chose the tour setlist for his own selfish reasons (Ok, I'm paraphrasing!) and I for one would prefer to see him put his heart and soul into performing songs he is enjoying, rather than doing a half-hearted version of a song he is "obliged" to perform...

Think its going a bit far to say its gone stale, I think last night was the only date that has got anything but excellent reviews from those in attendance.

I am suprised he hasnt changed the setlist around a bit though, he says he picks songs that he thinks hes going to enjoy singing, but surely he must get a bit bored of atleast a couple of songs after the 20th consecutive night or whatever?

Morrissey's choice

On the C4 interview Morrissey says that he plays the songs he feels like playing. He doesn't have a set list because he might have gotten bored of singing certain sings.

just think the set needs to rock the joint a bit more - get everyone jumping up n down instead of stood still .

Looking at the number of dates on the tour before it's conclusion, and Lord knows more could be added, there's no doubt that the band will be learning or re-learning new songs all the time.

Sounds to me like the only thing wrong with last night is there was no encore. I don't know why people expect encores as a matter of course and even if they do it was only one song.

There does seem to be a problem with the type of venues he's playing though. He probably picked them because he doesn't want to play the same old places but all seater venues are bound to be difficult.

I also think his current popularity is working against him at gigs too. You've got people buying tickets who aren't really fans, might not have even bought the album, but just want to say they've been to a Morrissey gig. They probably just want to hear a greatest hits set.

i think if you go to too many gigs then surely its nbot morrisseys' fault that you are getting bored of the setlist

I was there last night and it was an odd one. I was having a fantastic time, even though I was all the way up on level 3, there was a good crowd around us well getting into it. However looking down to the stalls, nothing was going on. Could this be due to real fans not getting the tickets? Maybe next time there will be pre sales again, I went to 5 gigs in 2004 and got front row tickets, or at standing was able to get to the front. This was my second gig of this tour and I was stuck up on level 3 for both, it seems nobody got front row tickets for the sage, even the people in the front of the que. It also needs remebering that there are loads of new fans, who often don't get it the same way as older fans do, not that I have anything against them, without them there would probably not be ROTT or this tour.

I also think the choice of venue was bad, and thought that all along from when it was announced, it's not for a gig with lots of audience participation, it's a sit back and be entertained place. It was great for Nancy Sinatra last year, but not for Morrissey. The security were having a field day too, don't think they get that much action at the sage and were making the most of it. One nearly knocked me over the seat in front in his dash to get to the person in the middle of the row that dared to take a picture on their mobile, a bit over the top. And god help anyone who tried to get on the stage, they were just given a kicking, maybe that also pissed Morrissey off, he has been known to walk off when the security has been too rough. I think the security just saw their chance to have some action as they are only used to dealing with the over 60's in the Sage and probably took the opportunity to prove that they were reaaly hard security men, not just someone who directs pensioners to the toilet and coffee shop.

But musically the night, bar a couple of hitches was fantastic, Gang Lord is brilliant, it was just the venue and ticket allocation that let the night down, the lack of encore wasn't the end of the world, it was disapointing, but after all it was Morrissey and it adds to the excitement!

speedfreaks ball said:
just think the set needs to rock the joint a bit more - get everyone jumping up n down instead of stood still .

Why are you called 'speedfreaks ball'? Did you go this year? Do you know Mick that runs it?

I'm off to Grimsby on Thursday, I think 'ROTT' is one of his best albums and 100 times better than 'Quarry'.
I don't think he can do any worse than the 'Quarry' tour, he turned rockier songs into ballads at the MEN.
I'm looking forward to a good show this week.

Hardly going stale just poor venue choices I think.

He has decided to play such a wide variety of venues that there is bound to be those who would rather standing venues to seating. The Bridgewater Hall box office to be fair did keep the best seats in the house for Box office sales but the obvioius problem with that was the touts buying up the tickets in the queue. My only fear is that there will be a lack of atmosphere in the front rows where the band will more aware of it but thats that. If, as has been suggested, the front rows of the Sage went to corporate and sponsors or whoever, thats up to Morrisseys' people to sort out assuming they have some input into this. There will always be the casual fans who are perhaps not as vocal or receptive as others but without the numbers being as they are the tour may never have happened. You can't please everyone, many thought that despite the fact that it was the homecoming show the MEN was too big and would have held out if the whole Quarry tour had been announced in one go. I will just be glad if he plays all the dates on this tour which I did worry about when it was announced, the punishing schedule is bound to have an impact on both the band and Morrissey. Fingers crossed for the remainder!

SRA said:
I am suprised he hasnt changed the setlist around a bit though?

He has introduced 4 new songs into the setlist last week and people are still spreading the myth that he's playing the same songs every night.

On the Quarry Tour he played 37 different songs, this tour he's already at 27 and I'm sure another 10 at least will be added later on.

I agree though that some of his choices this tour wouldn't be mine, I could especially do very well without My life..., Let Me Kiss You and Trouble Loves Me.

SouthpawGlamour said:
Why are you called 'speedfreaks ball'? Did you go this year? Do you know Mick that runs it?

did you go too sg? are you a raving psychobilly scooterboy like me?

He needs to bring back Everyday Is Like Sunday! With or without the Subway Train intro is fine, although I thought that having that as an intro was lovely. Also, why is he so reluctant to play any of his earlier solo material? I'd love to hear a few songs from the Viva Hate - Your Arsenal era.

The tour hasn't gone stale at all, just one problem in Gateshead because he didn't do an encore?
It will certainly come to life again in Manchester.

speedfreaks ball said:
did you go too sg? are you a raving psychobilly scooterboy like me?

Been a rockabiilly 25+ years, didnt go to speedfreaks this year, but I know the organiser and thought it sounded amazing.

Morrissey may have a bad night in Gateshead but like everyone, nobody expect the night to go smoothly every time. Good nights, poor nights - remember he played Glasgow and Whitehaven the previous nights in a row so he's probably exhausted?

Back
Top Bottom