On the Streets I Ran cracks(literally)

• Thread starter Butterworths Revenge
  • Start date
B

Butterworths Revenge

2:22 of the song on "YOU"

Think this is a oversight on Tony V's part?

I mean every one came out of the closet(pun intended) here lately and denounced the production on ROTT, so is this just an example of a GROSS OVERSIGHT?

Or is it just Moz hearing it and saying something to the effect of "keep the flaw in, it has more emotion, blah blah blah"

If you want me to upload the song just Ask-

I think Morrissey has deliberately kept the imperfections in on his voice in this album. I like it myself, it's more involving.

Listen to the Queen is Dead if you want to hear more "cracks"

i remember reading at the time of YATQ came out

> I think Morrissey has deliberately kept the imperfections in on his voice
> in this album. I like it myself, it's more involving.

> Listen to the Queen is Dead if you want to hear more "cracks"

that the first time in morrissey's career his approach to recording in the studio changed. before YATQ he would record the vocal tracks separately, but starting at YATQ (from finn's suggestion) he started recording with the band present and playing...basically music and vocals being recorded at the same time.

personally i always preferred the other way and i think you can tell the difference. Morrissey should go back to recording the vocal track separately, it brings out his voice more. makes it more clear and able to take out the flaws

> I think Morrissey has deliberately kept the imperfections in on his voice
> in this album. I like it myself, it's more involving.

> Listen to the Queen is Dead if you want to hear more "cracks"

Im not being confrontational but can you point out something as specific as what we have here? Honestly Ive never heard anything on Queen is Dead and if listened to it 8.7 million times, I listened to it...

> Im not being confrontational but can you point out something as specific
> as what we have here? Honestly Ive never heard anything on Queen is Dead
> and if listened to it 8.7 million times, I listened to it...

The Queen is Dead and I Know it's Over both have moments where his voice just cracks or goes completely out of tune. It's not exactly the same but it comes from the same source I think. Morrissey just doing his vocal in a couple of takes.

> The Queen is Dead and I Know it's Over both have moments where his voice
> just cracks or goes completely out of tune. It's not exactly the same but
> it comes from the same source I think. Morrissey just doing his vocal in a
> couple of takes.

Yeah Im amazed he only does a couple takes, for a singer who is not a musician, he must have impecabble Timing-

Timing is tricky to nail in a few takes...

> Yeah Im amazed he only does a couple takes, for a singer who is not a
> musician, he must have impecabble Timing-

> Timing is tricky to nail in a few takes...

It must be all those hours of singing in the bath paying off

It's interesting this has come up. I guess I was not aware that all of this changed with "Quarry...", I mean as far as Morrissey recording live with the band. Personally, I've always enjoyed the small flaws present in much of Morrissey's and the Smiths' work. It sort of gives it a bit of punk flair... the idea being that anyone can do it. No need for the gloss and the overdubs. And I suppose since the Smiths were part of the post punk movement, it is as it should be.

On the one hand, I can understand where people are coming from that are disappointed with the flaws on the new album. I think the first mp3's to surface highlighted them even more than the actual disc. If I am not mistaken, Moz's voice cracks, or goes too sharp or flat, at least once in every song. Again, the actual CD covers some of them up a bit. But, personally, I really like the fact that this is the case. "Quarry..." came off to me as a deliberate attempt to be polished, and, as such, I was shocked by some of the vocal flaws (ie on "Camden", there are a few moments that make me cringe, but only in the context of the slick synthetic strings. If backed by honest live instruments, it's the beauty of performance. There's nothing I hate more than seeing a band live that sounds exactly like the album. What's the point then?)

Anyway, I understand both points of view on this topic. I just happen to really like the raw sound of "Ringleader". Then again, I really like T. Rex, and there are loads of beautiful mistakes on those albums.

Back
Top Bottom