remember that song "Take Off (To The Great White North)"?

Yeah, Bob and Doug MacKenzie with Geddy Lee from RUSH... amazing Canadian arena rock from some of Canada's hippest Hebrews. An award-winning musician, Lee's style, technique, and virtuosity on the bass guitar have proven very influential in the rock and heavy metal genres. Lee's vocal style, while less influential, is nonetheless distinctive; one Rolling Stone critic opined a negative review in the Rolling Stone Album Guide that Geddy Lee's voice was a cross between Robert Plant's and Donald Duck's voices. Reference to the latter in the brief review upset many die-hard fans of Rush and Lee.

> Yeah, Bob and Doug MacKenzie with Geddy Lee from RUSH... amazing Canadian
> arena rock from some of Canada's hippest Hebrews. An award-winning
> musician, Lee's style, technique, and virtuosity on the bass guitar have
> proven very influential in the rock and heavy metal genres. Lee's vocal
> style, while less influential, is nonetheless distinctive; one Rolling
> Stone critic opined a negative review in the Rolling Stone Album Guide
> that Geddy Lee's voice was a cross between Robert Plant's and Donald
> Duck's voices. Reference to the latter in the brief review upset many
> die-hard fans of Rush and Lee.

Geddy Lee is amazing. It's true that his vocals aren't for everyone, particularly on the band's earlier work, but he definitely doesn't sound like anyone else. Everyone in the band is quite distinctive. Signals is my favorite Rush album, though a lot of fans didn't like the dominance of the keyboards. Definitely Rush's influence on other bands is far greater than band's that have sold a lot more records, but when you consider that they are playing technical music with quirky lyrics, they've actually been very popular. Geddy's solo album "My Favorite Headache" is very good, too.

> Geddy's solo album "My Favorite Headache" is very good, too.

Is that how he spelt it? Not "Favourite"?

> Is that how he spelt it? Not "Favourite"?

oh, you know what? I might be in error about that, but check Amazon or google.

Back
Top Bottom