Rest In Peace Sam Gonzales

J

John

*I know that Moz will probably ever hear about or read this post, but maybe someday someone will pass it his way.

"A good person passed away last week. His name was Samuel Gonzales. Sam lived in Los Angeles most of his life, moving there at an early age from El Salvador. I met him while working at a company, him in the warehouse, and I in the office. We became pretty good friends and shared a love for similar music.

Sam had quite a difficult life, parents divorced at an early age, forced to live with his aunt and grandmother. In his early 20’s he married and became a father to a baby girl. About a year after the birth of his daughter, his wife left him for another man, taking the daughter with. For approximately 9 years he tried to locate his little girl. When on occasion he was able to contact of his ex-wife, she refused to allow any relationship between himself and his child. This was the hardest part of Sam’s life, and one he seemed to consider on an hourly basis.

He often spoke with me about his daughter, always ending the conversation in tears. I’ve known my share of troubled people in my life, but have never met someone so lost, so hurt as Sam. He had a bout with alcoholism and was trying to clean his life up. He was taking classes so that he might receive a high school diploma and continue on to college. Eating better, and painting again, it seemed that Sam’s life was turning around.

We lost contact for a bit. In that little amount of time, Sam visited his father on the East Coast. Upon returning home, he must have allowed himself into a drinking binge, past out, and and at the age of 29, left our world.

The one thing that gave Sam courage, happiness, sympathy, and common ground was the music and words of Morrisey and the Smiths. I never in my life met someone who loved your music to such an extent, lived daily by your words and sounds. He was a true fan…perhaps the truest.

Finally, I believe that Sam is at peace. I never like to use cliché verse such as this, but I’m still a bit dumbfounded by the whole affair. He is safe from the hurt of his lost daughter, safe from the pain of his broken childhood, and safe from the substances that began to rule his life.

I wanted to thank you for him. Thank you for taking some of the sting out of Sam’s reality and for replacing it with something worthwhile…sometimes the only thing to live for… music. Thank you so very much.

I’d like to believe he is off painting somewhere… somewhere beautiful, and someplace happy."

Hopefully this will help you be at ease...

It will be passed on as soon as I get the chance...I hope it helps you feel better for the loss of your friend.

L.

Back
Top Bottom