DISCUSSION: Jake Walters / Jake Owen - Finally "Solved"??

K

King Leer

Most people now realise that Jake Owen and Jake Walters are two different people -- the former a professional photographer, the latter, Morrissey's personal assistant from '92 to '94. Rumours of a relationship between Owen and Morrissey have never been confirmed, but have never gone away. The fact that Owen and Walters' first names are the same, they're both British, and that they'd both taken photos of Morrissey during the same era has led to great confusion for fans and journalists alike.

Further down the board, there was a link to some very interesting video footage on YouTube of Morrissey's in-store signing for Vauxhall and I back in '94. This is surely the first time for this footage to surface on the 'net.

You can clearly see Morrissey's denim-wearing assistant, Jake Owen, by his side as he walks toward the camera, and later as Morrissey sits down at the signing table. There was a photo from what looks to be the same day, with Morrissey and Jake getting into a car, but with Owen's back to the camera, so I'd never clearly seen his face. He's a little guy, so if he was a former boxer, it must've been welterweight at most. He's almost a dead ringer for the skinhead on the cover of the Have-A-Go Merchant promo (from Nick Knight's book "Skinhead"). Owen also took candid photos of Morrissey during this era, some of which ended up being used professionally. such as the Now My Heart is Full single cover. He's on the cover of the The More You Ignore Me promo, but again, you can't see his face (http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/Morrissey-The-More-You-Igno-25522b.jpg). All this caused confusion with...

Jake Walters, who is an accomplished pro photographer (see www.jakewalters.com). He took pics of Morrissey around the same time. I seem to remember Walters being credited as Morrissey's assistant by more than one journalist, which has helped keep them muddled until this day.

One thing I could never get -- the back photo of Vauxhall, with Morrissey slumbering on Jake's stomach (?), is credited to "Jake," but if it's Jake Owen in the photo, who took the photo? Jake Walters? Same goes for the back of the The More You Ignore Me single. Now I'm confused...

Corrections/additions/discussion welcome!

AHHH, the first line in my post mixes them up...I give up!

I think the man in the photo is just assumed to be Jake Owen because people assume they had an affair. It's never been confirmed officially. It could be anyone.

I think when Morrissey credits "Jake" for a photo it's Jake his assistant he's talking about. I don't think a professional photographer would be happy just to be credited by his first name.

wheres that footage you refered to??? cant find it on the board....

Re: wheres that footage you refered to??? cant find it on the board....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLsWMWJIFY&search=morrissey

It is very interesting. First time I've gotten a proper look at Jake. Wonder what he says to him before he gets up to kiss the poster? Anyway, it's pretty obvious that they were an item.

Just one of the many mysteries of Moz...

> Most people now realise that Jake Owen and Jake Walters are two different
> people -- the former a professional photographer, the latter, Morrissey's
> personal assistant from '92 to '94. Rumours of a relationship between Owen
> and Morrissey have never been confirmed, but have never gone away. The
> fact that Owen and Walters' first names are the same, they're both
> British, and that they'd both taken photos of Morrissey during the same
> era has led to great confusion for fans and journalists alike.

> Further down the board, there was a link to some very interesting video
> footage on YouTube of Morrissey's in-store signing for Vauxhall and I back
> in '94. This is surely the first time for this footage to surface on the
> 'net.

> You can clearly see Morrissey's denim-wearing assistant, Jake Owen, by his
> side as he walks toward the camera, and later as Morrissey sits down at
> the signing table. There was a photo from what looks to be the same day,
> with Morrissey and Jake getting into a car, but with Owen's back to the
> camera, so I'd never clearly seen his face. He's a little guy, so if he
> was a former boxer, it must've been welterweight at most. He's almost a
> dead ringer for the skinhead on the cover of the Have-A-Go Merchant promo
> (from Nick Knight's book "Skinhead"). Owen also took candid
> photos of Morrissey during this era, some of which ended up being used
> professionally. such as the Now My Heart is Full single cover. He's on the
> cover of the The More You Ignore Me promo, but again, you can't see his
> face
> (http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/Morrissey-The-More-You-Igno-25522b.jpg).
> All this caused confusion with...

> Jake Walters, who is an accomplished pro photographer (see
> www.jakewalters.com ). He took pics of Morrissey around the same time. I
> seem to remember Walters being credited as Morrissey's assistant by more
> than one journalist, which has helped keep them muddled until this day.

> One thing I could never get -- the back photo of Vauxhall, with Morrissey
> slumbering on Jake's stomach (?), is credited to "Jake," but if
> it's Jake Owen in the photo, who took the photo? Jake Walters? Same goes
> for the back of the The More You Ignore Me single. Now I'm confused...

> Corrections/additions/discussion welcome!

well maybe i can help. I am a professional photographer, its how i earn my living. Thus, i can tell you for certain that the photos of morrissey on the V & I singles and promos are *definitely* not Jake Walters photographs and what's more they smack of amature just messing around with a camera.
So indeed i think the assistant jake took the photos and as someone else mentioned Jake Walters would never allow his name to be credited by simply *jake* as none of us in the business allow that especially when the work is going to by published and reproduced en mass.
cheers

> Most people now realise that Jake Owen and Jake Walters are two different
> people -- the former a professional photographer, the latter, Morrissey's
> personal assistant from '92 to '94. Rumours of a relationship between Owen
> and Morrissey have never been confirmed, but have never gone away. The
> fact that Owen and Walters' first names are the same, they're both
> British, and that they'd both taken photos of Morrissey during the same
> era has led to great confusion for fans and journalists alike.

> Further down the board, there was a link to some very interesting video
> footage on YouTube of Morrissey's in-store signing for Vauxhall and I back
> in '94. This is surely the first time for this footage to surface on the
> 'net.

> You can clearly see Morrissey's denim-wearing assistant, Jake Owen, by his
> side as he walks toward the camera, and later as Morrissey sits down at
> the signing table. There was a photo from what looks to be the same day,
> with Morrissey and Jake getting into a car, but with Owen's back to the
> camera, so I'd never clearly seen his face. He's a little guy, so if he
> was a former boxer, it must've been welterweight at most. He's almost a
> dead ringer for the skinhead on the cover of the Have-A-Go Merchant promo
> (from Nick Knight's book "Skinhead"). Owen also took candid
> photos of Morrissey during this era, some of which ended up being used
> professionally. such as the Now My Heart is Full single cover. He's on the
> cover of the The More You Ignore Me promo, but again, you can't see his
> face
> (http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/Morrissey-The-More-You-Igno-25522b.jpg).
> All this caused confusion with...

> Jake Walters, who is an accomplished pro photographer (see
> www.jakewalters.com ). He took pics of Morrissey around the same time. I
> seem to remember Walters being credited as Morrissey's assistant by more
> than one journalist, which has helped keep them muddled until this day.

> One thing I could never get -- the back photo of Vauxhall, with Morrissey
> slumbering on Jake's stomach (?), is credited to "Jake," but if
> it's Jake Owen in the photo, who took the photo? Jake Walters? Same goes
> for the back of the The More You Ignore Me single. Now I'm confused...

> Corrections/additions/discussion welcome!

one more thing to consider: did you ever notice how poor the quality of photograph used for most of morrissey's album covers and insterts? On the you are the quarry album cover the dolt who photographed that was a rank amature. For christ's sake they didn't eve iron the back drop!! you can see the folds in the pink back drop! its sad! How about the instert photo of Live from Earls Court! Omg! that album is smattered in some of the most hideous photos of morrissey and the band ever! underexposed, wrong shutter speeds, and the list goes on!
How about Bona Drag. What the f*** is that??? that photo is so soft and the photo shop job is the worst you can imagine.
However, the I have forgiven jesus photos are spot on.
forget first of the gang to die, that picture sucks ass. Its technically ALL wrong!! by any benchmark!
i shake my head because Morrissey is immensely good looking but his support staff has no clue how to pick a photog.
A while back a pro posted a link to his own shots from a morrissey show. They were by far much better photos and we all know how demanding a rock concert shoot is! who ever that guy was he knows how to use a camera and moz should hire him!
(btw thats not me either)

Points well taken -- I assumed it was Jake (the assistant) that took the photos, but what I (clumsily) tried to ask was, how did he take them when he himself was *in* them? Unless that guy with the Moz tattoo on his stomach is some other guy altogether. Would've made Jake jealous, no? (kidding).

Taking the photo on the back, for example (Morrissey laying on the other man's torso) -- what, as a professional, strikes you as amateur about it? Just curious.

Cheers

I can't *believe* I missed the opportunity to title this post "The Two Jakes"...I'm slipping

Not that I care very much but I remember pics of "Jake" around the V&I days and now I've seen the Jake Walters pics at his site and, God, that man is absolutely NOT that Jake. The two haven't anything in common.

The Three Jakes ?

> Just to add to the confusion ~
If you read the copyright/publishing info in the insert from the "Who Put the 'M' in Manchester ?" DVD you'll notice that one of the names responsible for 'Imperfect List' by Big Hard Excellent Fish is one Jake Walters. It also says that the Master was licensed from Walters/Jones/Way.
I would imagine this means that every time that bloody song got played throughout the 2004 tour Mr. Jake Walters was getting a little beer money.
Which is sweet.
joe.

Back
Top Bottom