You Have Killed Me = You just haven't earned it yet baby?

N

Neil Sherwood

Anybody else think the chorus of Moz's new single sound remarkably similar to the above Smiths tune?

Or is it just me...

> Anybody else think the chorus of Moz's new single sound remarkably similar
> to the above Smiths tune?

> Or is it just me...

It definately has a smiths sound to it.

It's hardly a great leap forward...

you can say that about almost any song though. There were people saying FOTGTD was "You Just Haven't Earned It yet" revisted in 2004.

> you can say that about almost any song though. There were people saying
> FOTGTD was "You Just Haven't Earned It yet" revisted in 2004.

I remember someone in the NME complaining about how similar "William.." was to "Heaven knows.."

what about "Panic" and "Shiela"? as well as "That's Entertainment" and The Jam's "That's Entertainment"?

> I remember someone in the NME complaining about how similar
> "William.." was to "Heaven knows.."

Haven't Sheila and Shoplifters got more or less exactly the same guitar break in the middle? Except one's a bit faster?

> Haven't Sheila and Shoplifters got more or less exactly the same guitar
> break in the middle? Except one's a bit faster?

No. Shoplifters has a kind of heavy Brian May-style solo, one of the few in the Smiths canon. Sheila has no such break.

That said, what is the problem with one song sounding vaguely like another, I wonder? For instance, lots of songs on Vauxhall have a similar sound and feel. I remember back in 1987, critics of The Smiths - and there were many back then - used to say they ALL sounded the same!

> Anybody else think the chorus of Moz's new single sound remarkably similar
> to the above Smiths tune?

> Or is it just me...

I think it's just you! The lead guitar line reminds me of very early 1983/84 Smiths, actually.

> It definately has a smiths sound to it.

Yes, it does.

> It's hardly a great leap forward...

Why does it have to be? Moz is already so far of the rest he exists in his own pop universe and can do what he likes. It's a catchy slice of Moz pop - what is wrong with that? In the context of the album it'll work a treat. I do hope you're not one of those people who wants Morrissey to sound like Radiohead. How dreary. I honesty prefer Dagenham Dave or Roy's Keen to their pseudo-intellectual prog cock any day.

(Yes, I said "prog cock".)

> Yes, it does.

> Why does it have to be? Moz is already so far of the rest he exists in his
> own pop universe and can do what he likes. It's a catchy slice of Moz pop
> - what is wrong with that? In the context of the album it'll work a treat.
> I do hope you're not one of those people who wants Morrissey to sound like
> Radiohead. How dreary. I honesty prefer Dagenham Dave or Roy's Keen to
> their pseudo-intellectual prog cock any day.

> (Yes, I said "prog cock".)

I agree it will sound ok on an album.

Doesn't seem a very strong song for the 1st single, but then that was also the case for YATQ.

The video is awful though!

Sorry, not Shoplifters. I meant Sheila and You just haven't earnt it yet. I knew it was two songs near to each other on my iriver just couldn't remember which ones exactly.

Back
Top Bottom