A Question for most of you regarding other fans.

K

Kurious Kate

Hello all.

On my irregular jaunts over to this side of the internet, I'm always bemused by the attitude of "well you wouldn't know as you didn't know who Morrissey was before Quarry came out" and "these kids aren't true fans".

So why do you all have problems with younger fans? I'm in my later thirties and couldn't care less the age of other people who enjoy Morrissey's music. There seems to be a real elitest section of people who seem to believe that if you weren't at the Ritz for the Smihs first ever gig then you don't deserve to like the music or get tickets for Morrissey gigs!

Clearly there are a number of young people who didn't know who Morrissey was before all the hype for Quarry some two years ago now, but how people can say they are "lesser" fans than others is clearly beyond my intelligence! Everyone has to start somewhere, everyone has a first record and a first gig.

It's very harsh to claim superiority over someone due to you having seen the Smiths however many number of times when the person you're having a go at wasn't even born then!

If someone could explain this to me I'd be very gratefull.

Kisses,
Kate.

Here Here! Just posted a similar thing in another thread. All i can think Katie is that the Morrissey World is a very competitive one with Moz being such a magnetic figure. The younger fans i've met recently are incredibly well informed and have certainly not been bugged with 'Quarryitis'.

Kisses back!

MBB

> Hello all.

> On my irregular jaunts over to this side of the internet, I'm always
> bemused by the attitude of "well you wouldn't know as you didn't know
> who Morrissey was before Quarry came out" and "these kids aren't
> true fans".

> So why do you all have problems with younger fans? I'm in my later
> thirties and couldn't care less the age of other people who enjoy
> Morrissey's music. There seems to be a real elitest section of people who
> seem to believe that if you weren't at the Ritz for the Smihs first ever
> gig then you don't deserve to like the music or get tickets for Morrissey
> gigs!

> Clearly there are a number of young people who didn't know who Morrissey
> was before all the hype for Quarry some two years ago now, but how people
> can say they are "lesser" fans than others is clearly beyond my
> intelligence! Everyone has to start somewhere, everyone has a first record
> and a first gig.

> It's very harsh to claim superiority over someone due to you having seen
> the Smiths however many number of times when the person you're having a go
> at wasn't even born then!

> If someone could explain this to me I'd be very gratefull.

> Kisses,
> Kate.

my theory is that most of the people who care are kooks or trolls.

> Hello all.

> On my irregular jaunts over to this side of the internet, I'm always
> bemused by the attitude of "well you wouldn't know as you didn't know
> who Morrissey was before Quarry came out" and "these kids aren't
> true fans".

> So why do you all have problems with younger fans? I'm in my later
> thirties and couldn't care less the age of other people who enjoy
> Morrissey's music. There seems to be a real elitest section of people who
> seem to believe that if you weren't at the Ritz for the Smihs first ever
> gig then you don't deserve to like the music or get tickets for Morrissey
> gigs!

> Clearly there are a number of young people who didn't know who Morrissey
> was before all the hype for Quarry some two years ago now, but how people
> can say they are "lesser" fans than others is clearly beyond my
> intelligence! Everyone has to start somewhere, everyone has a first record
> and a first gig.

> It's very harsh to claim superiority over someone due to you having seen
> the Smiths however many number of times when the person you're having a go
> at wasn't even born then!

> If someone could explain this to me I'd be very gratefull.

> Kisses,
> Kate.

I think it's because those fans are bitter old people who hate their lives. Obviously one has to acquaint oneself with Morrissey's work to be able to comment on it intelligently, but that can be done in a few weeks. So, in my eyes, once you're past being a Moz fan for a few weeks, you are as equal as the person who has been a fan for 23 years.

My problem is not the new fans. I'm 35 and love the fact a new generation is getting into great lyrics and real instruments! Mine are these pricks who worry about invading the stage and ruining the shows for the good people.

"but how people can say they are "lesser" fans than others is clearly beyond my intelligence!"

I think that the problem lies in the questionable intelligence of fans who think this way. I agree with all you have said Kate. Unfortunately, when an artist becomes as popular as Morrissey has become, there are going to be a wide mix of people attracted to fan site like this one. This means that along with the majority of reasonable people who read this message board, there will be a minority of people who are less logical. It is ill-fated that this minority are the ones who tend to post reglarly before using their brains.

It is a basic human nature to want a certain amount of control and power within ones life. Those people who slate younger fans do so because they want to feel superior and more powerful. It is a little sad that the only place they can feel control in their lives is on an internet message board.

I am rather proud to be a 'new Morrissey fan', having only been listening to him since late 2003. If Morrissey never acquired any new fans, then he would ultimately have no fans at all, which would be tragic given the quality of his material.

The best way is to ignore those who wish to abuse younger fans and just get on with enjoying Morrissey's music.

Yours,

Tom.

> I think it's because those fans are bitter old people who hate their
> lives. Obviously one has to acquaint oneself with Morrissey's work to be
> able to comment on it intelligently, but that can be done in a few weeks.
> So, in my eyes, once you're past being a Moz fan for a few weeks, you are
> as equal as the person who has been a fan for 23 years.

Id have to give it at least year, Morrisseys music has far too many layers-

I think to appreciate an artists work fully then be able to communicate on that level is what i'd be after if I were discussing Moz Music...that said I'd never chastize someone for being a newer fan, I just wouldnt be able to have the same conversation with them as I could with someone who has been listening for years...

> My problem is not the new fans. I'm 35 and love the fact a new generation
> is getting into great lyrics and real instruments! Mine are these pricks
> who worry about invading the stage and ruining the shows for the good
> people.

I'm glad someone has had the idea to stick their neck out and champion us younger or newer fans. Thanks Kate.
At first i thought adoring everything Morrissey might be like lusting after the office temp, and i'd move on to another band within a few months ... it's been 3 years now. And i can honestly say that at this point in time, i want to be a fan for life ... I'm even thinking of getting 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' tattooed on my shoulder.
However, i have to agree with poplloyd, in that there is some shocking behaviour at gigs these days ... i'm 22, but still, the last thing i want is some 14 year old thinking it's cool to throw a pint back into

> My problem is not the new fans. I'm 35 and love the fact a new generation
> is getting into great lyrics and real instruments! Mine are these pricks
> who worry about invading the stage and ruining the shows for the good
> people.

I'm glad someone has had the idea to stick their neck out and champion us younger or newer fans. Thanks Kate.
At first i thought adoring everything Morrissey might be like lusting after the office temp, and i'd move on to another band within a few months ... it's been 3 years now. And i can honestly say that at this point in time, i want to be a fan for life ... I'm even thinking of getting 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' tattooed on my shoulder.
However, i have to agree with poplloyd, in that there is some annoying behaviour at gigs these days ... i'm 22 with the excitability quotient of a teenager, but still, the last thing i want is some 14 year old thinking it's cool to throw a pint back into the crowd or engage in a group shove in an attempt to get to the front (when i went to the bloc party gig, this is what happened constantly) It's not just the younger fans ... but there are a sizeable majority of teenage indie kids at the moment, and immature behaviour from a few, just gives all of them a bad name.

I agree- its bizzarre that people have this attitude.
I think its normal for good bands and artists to go through a revival peroid where those who werent old enough to appreciate them the first time round discover them as they get older and are exposed to more styles of music that wouldnt reach their ears while they are still at high school ect, although even today i think many now do find them at highschool. And lets face it, i also think that the renewed interest helps these artists too- wouldn't it increase sales and encourage the artist to go out and make more music after a period of lesser attention?

Say for those of us who were born in the early 80s and beyond well obviously it takes a while to discover too, i mean atleast give us credit for finding out that the smiths let alone morrissey even exists. Especially when you live in a country outside of the UK or USA. These sour old fans should remember that us younger fans have so much music to choose from to like and that morrissey and the smiths arent going to be up high on the list of bands to promote or try to get people to like.

And i get the impression that people think we are following a trend or something by liking moz? Well amoungst many of my friends being a morrissey and smiths fan doesn't hold much clout because lets face it, hardly anyone really knows who the hell they are and its much trendier to have albums by more agressively marketed bands who have released albums this side of the year 2000, or new release albums by all the current so called indie artists.

I think it would be interesting to know how many younger fans actually found morrissey and the smiths and then we can decide whos following trends ect- i came across it after finding a cd in my sisters collection and listening to it-
i decided to like them from there music, not because they were in some magazine, or because they were marketed on the radio or tv ect. If you hold a grudge against younger fans you should remember that you were probably lucky and got to see the smiths on top of the pops ect. That kind of exposure is something newer fans would never see.

I am 15 and I have been a Morrissey fan since the quarry came out. This is all down to my dad I'm afraid he is 42 now and he grew up with the smiths. I didn't become a fan because of the hype of the quarry I became a fan after hearing the single Irish Blood, English Heart I then asked my dad to borrow his cd. I have been a fan for almost 2 years and I now have 8 Morrissey solo album and 5 Smiths albums. I have introduced some of my friends to Morrissey and The Smiths and they enjoyed this for the music not for all the hype or because Morrissey is 'cool' because in a public school in Grimsby Morrissey isn't 'cool' I'm afraid to say. Infact it was rare to find someone who had heard of Morrissey or The Smiths, although Im not ashamed of being a Morrissey fan infact I am proud of it and I believe I am as Much as a fan as my dad or anyone else who grew up with the Smiths because although they are not together I am growing up with the Smiths and Morrissey. My first Morrissey concert is in May and I can't wait and I can asure you that I will not be throwing around pints and trying to invade the stage.

nothing wrong with invading the stage

> I am 15 and I have been a Morrissey fan since the quarry came out. This is
> all down to my dad I'm afraid he is 42 now and he grew up with the smiths.
> I didn't become a fan because of the hype of the quarry I became a fan
> after hearing the single Irish Blood, English Heart I then asked my dad to
> borrow his cd. I have been a fan for almost 2 years and I now have 8
> Morrissey solo album and 5 Smiths albums. I have introduced some of my
> friends to Morrissey and The Smiths and they enjoyed this for the music
> not for all the hype or because Morrissey is 'cool' because in a public
> school in Grimsby Morrissey isn't 'cool' I'm afraid to say. Infact it was
> rare to find someone who had heard of Morrissey or The Smiths, although Im
> not ashamed of being a Morrissey fan infact I am proud of it and I believe
> I am as Much as a fan as my dad or anyone else who grew up with the Smiths
> because although they are not together I am growing up with the Smiths and
> Morrissey. My first Morrissey concert is in May and I can't wait and I can
> asure you that I will not be throwing around pints and trying to invade
> the stage.

Thanks for mentioning this Kate, it's something I've been coming across a lot more recently. We're all fans; all agree with and support the same thing, so why all the bad feeling to anyone?

I'm 15 and became a fan after Quarry as well. I heard First of the Gang on the radio a couple of times; I noticed it and liked it, but it wasn't until I found out who it was by and did a bit of research on the man himself that it really struck a chord. I found a few more songs online and eventually bought Quarry.
As someone has mentioned, I though it would be just a minor 'obsession' that I would get over soon. But that hasn't been the case, and I now can't imagine life without Morrissey playing somewhere in the background.
My parents hate him with a passion (for reasons best know to themselves I presume). I've attempted to introduce him to some of my friends, with limited success. While it would be nice to know someone in real life who appreciates him as much as I do, I'm content for now to have the many online friends I've met since I became a fan.

I'm now praying I'll get tickets for Grimsby tomorrow, and certainly agree that no one should ruin the gig for anyone else, whatever the circumstances.

Amy

Hey! I'm fifteen too. I borrowed my dads Singles CD last year and never went back. Its just amazign the amount i know about morrissey now, and the amount i love him. Thanks for sticking up for us Kate. Some people on Morrissey-Solo can be really rude about it. I'm going to camp out for tickets tomorrow!!! I cannot WAIT. I think i have the right to be just as happy about the new morrissey album as EVERYONE ELSE!
And i agree. As in Grimsby, Newcastle does not find Morrissey 'cool'. What does that stupid word mean anyway? I hate it. I hate this country. England is a big pile of "what's cool".
Kisses back Kate!!!

Ellllen

> nothing wrong with invading the stage

Nothing at all - but reading these comments has made me feel terribly old - I might give it a go if me back isn't playing up.

Back
Top Bottom