Shoplifters from Manchester CD

U

Uncleskinny

Picked this up today, and it's a professionally put together compilation of what are described as - "brilliant out-takes, demoes and specials" - well, I wouldn't go that far, but there are some very different versions of familar songs, such as Miserable Lie, What Difference Does It Make, and plenty of live material of songs that never made it onto Rank or the like. Does anyone else have this CD - what do you reckon?

Sk./Peter

> Picked this up today, and it's a professionally put together compilation
> of what are described as - "brilliant out-takes, demoes and
> specials" - well, I wouldn't go that far, but there are some very
> different versions of familar songs, such as Miserable Lie, What
> Difference Does It Make, and plenty of live material of songs that never
> made it onto Rank or the like. Does anyone else have this CD - what do you
> reckon?

Can you give us a track listing? Why not rip it and post it for us? The spirit of posting should be renewed here with the new year coming on.

HooperC

Track Listing

> Can you give us a track listing? Why not rip it and post it for us? The
> spirit of posting should be renewed here with the new year coming on.

> HooperC

Here you go:

1: Wonderful Woman - to my ears, different to the Troy Tate Version, and certainly not the officially released version.

2: What Difference Does It Make - different key and meatier than the Troy Tate version.

3: The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (Live)- it says on the CD that this was from the Ritz gig - I'm not so sure, I think it's from the early Hacienda gig. Nevertheless, interesting for Moz's strained vocals and the additional backing singer (James Maker?). Also interesting for Moz siging repeatedly at the end "Your mother, she need never know".

4: These Things Take Time (Live) - from Derby 1984?

5: Girl Afraid (Live) - the first of two versions on this CD.

6: Miserable Lie - I can't make out if this is live or not. Anyway, a bass-heavy plodder of a track.

7: Handsome Devil (Live) - the CD says this was from Amsterdam, 1984.

8: Hand In Glove (Live) - Some really understated guitar work by Johnny on this version, not "rocky" at all, more semi-acoustic.

9: Girl Afraid (live) - the second version on this CD - cleaner than the first version.

10: Barbarism Begins At Home (Live)

11: This Charming Man (Live) - Note-perfect version from Hamburg, 1984 (it says here).

The next three sound like they have been taken from a radio session:

12: Pretty Girls Make Graves

13: Rusholme Ruffians (although it's listed as Shakespeare's Sister)

14: Nowhere Fast

I think I can make out two guitarists on the next three live tracks, so they may be from a later (1986?) line up with Craig Gannon

15: Please Please Please Let me Get What I Want (Live) - beautiful version with the 'lost' intro - I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before.

16: Never Had No One Ever (Live)

17: The Queen Is Dead (Live) - Barnstorming live version.

18: Money Changes Everything (Live) - scrtachy recoding of this live version.

There are 4 other tracks, but they refuse to play either on a CD player or a computer. They are Sweet & Tender Hooligan, London, Shoplifters Of The World Unite (from The Tube) and the Troy Tate version of Handsome Devil.

There's too many to "Yousendit" all at once, so if there are some tracks that people would like, I'll do a few. Alernatively, if someone wants a hard copy, I can do that too.

Best Wishes,

Sk./Peter

Re: Track Listing

I'd love to ring in the new year playing the live 'please, please, please' with the lost intro. Can you please yousendit?

> I'd love to ring in the new year playing the live 'please, please, please'
> with the lost intro. Can you please yousendit?

Here you go...

I tried to use Yousendit but it was malfunctioning, so I used Megaupload, which forces you to wait a bit before downloading, but it still works.

Best Wishes,

Sk./Peter

Please Please Please...

anychance you could send me a copy? i'll pay for postage and a disc...or could you zip it and send it me via email???

cheers

> anychance you could send me a copy? i'll pay for postage and a disc...or
> could you zip it and send it me via email???

> cheers

Zipping has proved troublesome in the past - the file ends up being so big that the inbox refuses it. If you bung me your e-mail address, I'll send a copy along. No need to pay for anything.

Bye for now,

Sk./Peter

some clown stole my identity...this is the real fountainhead

that would be great thanks...my email address is

[email protected]

thanks again, you are a star

Back
Top Bottom