Jamie OliVer SilenceR of the Poor DefenceleSS lamB

D

darKesT staR

JAMIE Oliver was slammed by animal welfare campaigners yesterday for killing a lamb on his TV show.

Millions of viewers saw the chef cut the animal's throat in Jamie's Great Escape on Wednesday. The lamb had its legs tied - but it was not stunned first.

Advocates for Animals said Jamie should be "thoroughly ashamed".
It added: "Slitting a lamb's throat while it is fully conscious will undoubtedly cause terrible suffering. "It is widely acknowledged that the most humane way is for them to be stunned before killing. This kind of brutal slaughter shows no compassion or respect for the poor animal."

Jamie - whose Channel 4 series is filmed in Italy - killed and cooked the lamb for a feast on a farm. Clearly apprehensive before doing so he said: "I do not know if I can do it ... I have never done that before. Not with a knife anyway."

Jamie grimaced as he killed the animal, adding: "A chef who's cooked 2,000 sheep should kill at least one, otherwise you're a fake." Then he helped skin it. Philip Lymberg, chief executive of Compassion in World Farming, said: "Jamie could have caused unnecessary pain and suffering by being involved.

"Under EU law the animal should have been stunned before slaughter to render it senseless to the pain."

But People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals praised the programme for showing the brutality that exists in Britain's slaughterhouses.Spokesman Sean Gifford said: "We wish this kind of thing was shown more often. It could turn the more diehard carnivore into a vegetarian.

"In slaughterhouses the stun gun method is ineffective - handlers often miss the mark and animals remain conscious. Showing this scene can hit the message home of this cruelty."

Andrew Tyler, director of Animal Aid, agreed: "I'm not convinced stunning the animal works so in some ways it's a good thing that Jamie and the viewers saw what it means to cut an animal's throat."

John Beyer, director of MediaWatch, said even though Channel 4 warned viewers of the graphic content, many children would have watched the show. He said: "Channel 4 should have paid attention to people's sensitivities. The scheduling of this scene before the watershed was inappropriate."

Regulator Ofcom said it had seven complaints from the public. A spokeswoman said: "We are looking into these with regard to our code of practice."

Jamie's spokesman said: "The method was considered humane by all present."
Channel 4 said: "We were aware of the sensitivity of the scene and ensured that it was clearly flagged to viewers immediately before the programme.

"The programme reflected the way many animals in Italy are reared and butchered and aimed to make the audience think about how their own food is sourced."

So did it turn any of the avent canivores off meat????? I found the whole programme totally abhorrent and now I know why I detest the fat tongued f***wiT so much...

Meat is Murder!

oh what a shame, the lamb was gonna die anyway.

get a life you sad bastard

> oh what a shame, the lamb was gonna die anyway.

> get a life you sad bastard

ActuallY I'm neiTher SAD or a BASTARD.... anD my life is preTTy darN full! But's that's by the by.....

So becauSe this poor defencleSS lamB was 'gonna die anywaY' in your wonderful & knowledgeable opinion, that made it ok for the self-satisfied imbecile to sliT it's adorabable throat?

I jusT hope viewers have the sense to boycoTT the proGrammE and his raTing sluMp biG tiMe...

A liFe is a liFe and iT should NEVER be treaTed with such fliPPant disrespecT!

ActuallY I'm neiTher SAD or a BASTARD.... anD my life is preTTy darN full! But's that's by the by...

So becauSe this poor defencleSS lamB was 'gonna die anywaY' in your wonderful & knowledgeable opinion, that made it ok for the self-satisfied imbecile to sliT it's adorabable throat?

I jusT hope viewers have the sense to boycoTT the proGrammE and his raTing sluMp biG tiMe...

A liFe is a liFe and iT should NEVER be treaTed with such fliPPant disrespecT!

Of course everyone is gonna die at some point, does your logic allow us to kill you right now? Be kinda fun!

Re: Slitting the throat is actually the most humane method

It may look horrific and brutal, however, if done correctly, i.e. cutting the jugular vein, as is the kosher or halal way, a living thing feels nothing. This is because any cut to this vein causes a seismic drop in blood pressure and the animal faints before the nerves have a chance to register pain.
However, that's not to say that the killing of any animal in such a calculated way is any less disgusting. It should be the rule that, if you want to eat meat, you should have to raise the animal and then perform this procedure yourself ... there'd be a hell of a lot more vegetarians.

> It may look horrific and brutal, however, if done correctly, i.e. cutting
> the jugular vein, as is the kosher or halal way, a living thing feels
> nothing. This is because any cut to this vein causes a seismic drop in
> blood pressure and the animal faints before the nerves have a chance to
> register pain.
> However, that's not to say that the killing of any animal in such a
> calculated way is any less disgusting. It should be the rule that, if you
> want to eat meat, you should have to raise the animal and then perform
> this procedure yourself ... there'd be a hell of a lot more vegetarians.

Although this sounds logical I am always suspicious of the "feels nothing" claim. I agree that people should know more about what they are eating and stop thinking of meat as that nice plastic-wrapped package at the supermarket.

About PETA, I think they are right in this case, and for the same reason.

And poor Jamie Oliver, having to kill so as not to be a "fake". I understand his point, he is sort of saying the same thing, that the reality of the situation should be faced. But it still sounds like he thinks he is proving something about himSELF by murdering this defenseless lamb.

When I was young it was a common activity to go shooting guns with my friends and we did kill animals and it did make me feel, when I was 12 years old, that I had some sort of power. But I realized that the choice to kill was also the choice to let live. It's too bad that Jamie Oliver didn't have the courage NOT to kill.

> It may look horrific and brutal,

Yes, go on.............

> however, if done correctly, i.e. cutting
> the jugular vein, as is the kosher or halal way, a living thing feels
> nothing.

I presume you have this on record then as a scientifically proven fact.

>This is because any cut to this vein causes a seismic drop in
> blood pressure and the animal faints before the nerves have a chance to
> register pain.

I would guess the animal faints due to barbaric murder, i.e slitting ones throat does occasionally bring on a faint attack.

> However, that's not to say that the killing of any animal in such a
> calculated way is any less disgusting. It should be the rule that, if you
> want to eat meat, you should have to raise the animal and then perform
> this procedure yourself ... there'd be a hell of a lot more vegetarians.

Well I'd warrant you are not one of those "hell of a lot more" or you wouldn't defend the indefensible.

Whilst I partly agree with the argument that there would be far fewer meat eaters if everyone was required to kill their dinner first, was that really the point of this shameful exercise?
Or is it more the case of another self-deluding, egotistical 'celebrity' attempting to give credence to the tiresome, outdated argument that real men not only eat meat, but kill it too? A bit like that other pillock Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
After all, there is something 'fake' about those hermetically sealed packets of unrecognisable flesh in the freezer section of every supermarket. Like that certain supermarket he forces down our throats in those endless, poxy adverts!
This type of behaviour is not only offensive and unethical, it's also dishonest. If we are going to be truthful about how meat is really produced, let's see some video footage of the average slaughterhouse going out on prime time t.v.
Are the people with integrity those who see the suffering and continue to eat meat, or those who are compassionate enough to make a different choice?

Well said......

My arguMent as always been that if folK had to go out and kill their own animals or poultrY to consuMe then there would be faR more people converTing to vegetarianism... The maSS poplulation allow some other poor unfortunate sucKer to do ALL their dirtY worK for themmm.

May I add, that fat tonGue Oliver did thiS soulY as a publicity stunT for his flagging mundaNe programme, not to maKe the mass publiC pondeR or reconsider their carnivorous satuS...

There just isn't enough footage or insighT on the TV about the horrendous condidtioNs that animals suffeR during their terM in slaughter houses and abattoirs. The booKs need balancing so the ignoranT can be enlighteneD!

And for this repuGnant & barabariC act to be transmitted during prime time TV was unacceptable, abhorrent and humiliating...

I'm ashaMed to be huMan sometiMes...

Re: Well said......

I'm ashamed to be human most of the time!
The thing is the truth is too dangerous. Peple might actually start asking questions and heaven forbid, change their behaviour. What might that do to livestock farming, which is already having to be heavily subsidised?
It's like my friend the other week taking part in a perfectly legal protest outside Harrods. She was told her leaflets about the fur trade were too graphic and might upset people. Eventually the police slapped a section number whatever on them, and told them to disperse or they would be arrested. And this is the state of our wonderful democracy!

Re: Well said......

> I'm ashamed to be human most of the time!
> The thing is the truth is too dangerous. Peple might actually start asking
> questions and heaven forbid, change their behaviour. What might that do to
> livestock farming, which is already having to be heavily subsidised?
> It's like my friend the other week taking part in a perfectly legal
> protest outside Harrods. She was told her leaflets about the fur trade
> were too graphic and might upset people. Eventually the police slapped a
> section number whatever on them, and told them to disperse or they would
> be arrested. And this is the state of our wonderful democracy!

Alas there is NO democracY Jo, the polticiaNs try and brainwash the electoraTe into thinKing there is though... And of courSe they need to proteCt the absurdlY wealthy, small minded clientelle of HarroDs froM leaPing liKe lemmings into the relmS of realitY... Perish the thoughT!

As if people haven't goT the common sense to decide for themselVes what's righT and wronG!

God it maKes my blood boiL...